• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GL/RT1210 - What was your solution?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grunnstoff

Hi All - First time post here so hopefully it is in the right area!

I am an engineer working in the Anglia Region and have been tasked to bring together a working group to try and establish a solution for a number of issues we have seen on our projects with respects to the Railway Group Standard GL/RT1210 - AC Energy Subsystem and Interfaces to Rolling Stock Subsystem.

Currently I have had a lot of information sent to me by projects where they have had to comply to certain elements of the standard and have also read the standard myself.

With all fairness to these projects, it is only one or two particular elements of 1210 that they have had an issue with and need to find a solution for compliance (such as bridge soffit height clearance to accommodate the required height of the OLE). However, the remit of the working group will be to generate a complete solution (addressing all points in 1210) which will help future projects (and some current live ones) comply with 1210. I've thought this solution may take the form of a flow chart, or a set of flow charts, new standard items to be included in a Hazard log or Risk register template, a local work instruction or a combination of all mentioned.

Somewhere in my reading I noticed that this is an issue which has presented itself nationwide and not just in my region. With that in mind, I feel that the more information I can get from a wider variety of sources at this stage, the better as it will help me get a more complete picture on what needs to be done.

So my question is, if you are a railway engineer, have you had to work with complying to GL/RT1210 on any of your projects or been presented with an issue brought about by adoption (or late adoption) of the standard and helped devise a solution to it?

Any thoughts shared would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to share back any results I obtain after the working group has wrapped up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tio Terry

Hi All - First time post here so hopefully it is in the right area!

I am an engineer working in the Anglia Region and have been tasked to bring together a working group to try and establish a solution for a number of issues we have seen on our projects with respects to the Railway Group Standard GL/RT1210 - AC Energy Subsystem and Interfaces to Rolling Stock Subsystem.

Currently I have had a lot of information sent to me by projects where they have had to comply to certain elements of the standard and have also read the standard myself.

With all fairness to these projects, it is only one or two particular elements of 1210 that they have had an issue with and need to find a solution for compliance (such as bridge soffit height clearance to accommodate the required height of the OLE). However, the remit of the working group will be to generate a complete solution (addressing all points in 1210) which will help future projects (and some current live ones) comply with 1210. I've thought this solution may take the form of a flow chart, or a set of flow charts, new standard items to be included in a Hazard log or Risk register template, a local work instruction or a combination of all mentioned.

Somewhere in my reading I noticed that this is an issue which has presented itself nationwide and not just in my region. With that in mind, I feel that the more information I can get from a wider variety of sources at this stage, the better as it will help me get a more complete picture on what needs to be done.

So my question is, if you are a railway engineer, have you had to work with complying to GL/RT1210 on any of your projects or been presented with an issue brought about by adoption (or late adoption) of the standard and helped devise a solution to it?

Any thoughts shared would be greatly appreciated and I would be happy to share back any results I obtain after the working group has wrapped up.

NRIP have recently (6th July 2016) issued a Good Practice Working Instruction which covers the subjects you mention, I'm sure somebody within IP can find you a copy. In essence, it requires areas that don't meet current requirements to undergo Explicit Risk Estimation (ERE), this was what was done for Paddington Platform 14 where the existing infrastructure necessitates less than standard clearances to both infrastructure and members of the public standing on the platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.