• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Airport through fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill57p9

Does anyone know what has happened to through fares to/from Glasgow Airport via Paisley Gilmour Street? Journey planners aren't listing times or fares and brfares is showing no fares from my local Ayrshire station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Seems like they may have been withdrawn. BRFares doesn't even give fares from Gilmour Street, and the KnowledgeBase page still refers to routes 66/66E, despite it now being route 757.

Fares are still present for the links via Glasgow city centre (First route 500) and Partick (First route 747).

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The link was set up in Arriva days and McGills have run the service for a while now. They seem to have a penchant for not being involved in integrated ticketing, having not been part of the Daytripper scheme for some time. Presumably it isn't lucrative enough for both Scotrail and McGills to offer through ticketing.

Having said that, the fares still seem to exist but with no bus times nothing appears in the planners.
https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=GGT&dest=STG

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-08-23/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

If they have been withdrawn, the Scotrail website hasn't been updated.
Glasgow Airport
Airlink tickets to Glasgow Airport combine rail and bus travel, and you can buy them at a staffed station or by phone on 0344 811 0141. You can also buy tickets online for the 757 route via Paisley Gilmour Street.

500 bus from Glasgow stations
Get the train to Glasgow Central or Glasgow Queen Street and hop on the AirportExpress 500 bus to Glasgow Airport. Only tickets marked to, from or via "Glasgow Air XBus" are valid on this bus service.

757 bus from Paisley Gilmour Street
Travelling from Ayrshire or Inverclyde, catch the train to Paisley Gilmour Street and get the frequent 757 bus link to Glasgow Airport.

77 bus from Partick
From north-west Glasgow, Milngavie, Dumbarton, Helensburgh and the West Highlands you can change at Partick for a frequent bus service to Glasgow Airport.
https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/travel-connections/airports

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The link was set up in Arriva days and McGills have run the service for a while now. They seem to have a penchant for not being involved in integrated ticketing, having not been part of the Daytripper scheme for some time. Presumably it isn't lucrative enough for both Scotrail and McGills to offer through ticketing.

Having said that, the fares still seem to exist but with no bus times nothing appears in the planners.
https://www.brfares.com/!fares?orig=GGT&dest=STG
Yes, fares exist from 2372 other locations. Most stations have fares from just under 2700 locations so there are about 300 stations that don't have fares to Glasgow Airport.

There's also the destination of Glasgow Airport Xbus (presumably for use on an express bus), which has fares from 651 origins, so clearly a more limited range.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's also the destination of Glasgow Airport Xbus (presumably for use on an express bus), which has fares from 651 origins, so clearly a more limited range.
Yes, that is for the 500 from the city centre. The great thing about the Paisley link was that through tickets were priced at the fare from Paisley Gilmour Street (eg the bus was 'free' which might explain why it would be withdrawn).

Walking from Glasgow Airport to Paisley Gilmour Street doesn't take that long in my experience but I appreciate that is not an option for all. It is about 1.5 miles.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, that is for the 500 from the city centre. The great thing about the Paisley link was that through tickets were priced at the fare from Paisley Gilmour Street (eg the bus was 'free' which might explain why it would be withdrawn).

Walking from Glasgow Airport to Paisley Gilmour Street doesn't take that long in my experience but I appreciate that is not an option for all. It is about 1.5 miles.
Yes, I've done the walk before. It's not much longer than some of the walks within larger airport terminals, but the road isn't the most pleasant! (With apologies to the denizens of Paisley)

Bill57p9

Thanks for the responses. McGills 757 page mentions the through ticketing.
I have walked it late at night before at would prefer not to again.
I will ask in a local ticket office.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've done Glasgow Airport -> Larbert several times in the past using the bus connection (via Paisley Gilmour Street), but as the OP notes, the through fare no longer seems available. Certainly wouldn't ever dream of walking between the Airport and the railway station.

Wonder what's been going on?

Bill57p9

I enquired at my local ticket office today and they advised that the fares were withdrawn at the start of lockdown as there were few planes and the connecting bus had been withdrawn.
They were surprised that fares were available from some other stations but had no idea when through fares will be reinstated.
I shall bug ScotRail directly (though obviously through fares are available from throughout GB).

Bill57p9

I wonder what the ScotRail TVM in the airport opposite the arrivals sell now or has it been removed?
Well some fares are still listed.
I'm flying from GLA later this month (hence why I was looking at fares...) so will check it out.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is the bus between the Airport and Paisley Gilmour Street (on which a rail ticket with 'Glasgow Airport' as the origin/destination was valid) operating just now?

paul1609

Established Member
Is the bus between the Airport and Paisley Gilmour Street (on which a rail ticket with 'Glasgow Airport' as the origin/destination was valid) operating just now?
Yes its the 757 Paisley to Clydebank bus rather than a dedicated airport bus (and always has been as far as I know) . Its run by Mc Gills

Bill57p9

Timetable, which mentions through ticketing http://www.mcgillsbuses.co.uk/mcgills-bus-timetables/757-paisley-to-glasgow-airport.aspx

I checked the TVM in the airport last night: it is only selling Glasgow Airport Xbus tickets, i.e. via the 500 service to the city centre. For my use case this gives a slower option costing over twice the old "Paisley Coach" (GGT) route.

paul1609

Established Member

Attachments

• IMG_20210921_172822.jpg
    IMG_20210921_172822.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Status
Not open for further replies.