• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Airport to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanniehk

I am from Hong Kong and will be staying in Edinburgh for a few days. My husband will come to meet me but we take Emirates so the plane can only stop in Glasgow. He shall be arriving in the afternoon. I would like to go in the morning and meet him at Glasgow Station Queen's Street or Central, planning to spend half a day in Glasgow and go back to Edinburgh at night.

A few questions:
Can my husband buy the train ticket in airport, take the transit to Central/ Queen's station, and get back to a train to Edinburgh after a few hours?
If I buy specifying any time flexible ticket, does it matter whether it is Central/ Queen's station since I might get on on one and off from the other?
When I check fare on web, the cheapest return ticket is GBP 9.70. But is this valid on that specific operator or can be any one as long as the ticket is flexible, anytime?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Before advising on travel, could you advise if this person from Glasgow Airport (yourself) will have any luggage and requires to carry it with them?
If so, can you confirm that you can leave it at Glasgow Airport :
http://www.glasgowairport.com/glasgow-airport-guide/services-and-facilities/left-luggage

This will greatly help with travel arrangements

Next, when do you plan to travel from Edinburgh / need to be back at Glasgow Airport?

The easiest option is to use the Glasgow Airport - Glasgow City shuttle bus
/ Service 500

The £9.70 fare is only validated on specific services between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh, if these train times suit then use it
You will then need to purchase a ticket in the shuttle bus separately (onboarding)

You can also purchase an inclusive rail and bus ticket, but this does NOT allow use of Service 500
You need to take a local bus to Paisley Gilmour Street, and then take a train to Glasgow from there
Personally, I would not take this option
Instead take Service 500 and buy this separately
Purchase a suitable rail ticket between Glasgow and Edinburgh; either the £9.70 as above, Off-Peak Day Return (not valid before 09:00 and on some return services from Edinburgh from your travel arrangements) or an Anytime Return

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to clarify slightly from rail-britain's post above, the £9.70 fare is valid only on Cross Country services between Edinburgh Waverly and Glasgow Central. If you try to use it on any other service other than a Cross Country service you would not have a valid ticket and would be treated accordingly. So if the times of those services suit then by all means use those trains but if you want more flexibility you'll need to buy a different ticket.

starrymarkb

Established Member
There are left luggage facilities in Buchannan bus station (the bus from the Airport will take you there) Queen Street station (for trains to Edinburgh is a few minutes away on foot)

IIRC The Emirates flight arrives quite late (8pm local) unless they now do 2 flights per day

rail-britain

Established Member
The Emirates flight arrives quite late (8pm local) unless they now do 2 flights per day
12:35 and 20:00
Assuming the OP is staying overnight and then travelling the following day from Glasgow to Edinburgh, there is no way they will make the 07:50 departure otherwise
This would negate the issues with luggage

tony_mac

Established Member
The £9.70 only applies on the 07:50 Glasgow to Edinburgh and subsequent return
For all other services the return fare would be £15.00 (based on the OP requirements)

An Anytime Day return, route XC only, is obviously permitted on all Crosscountry trains that day.

Attachments

• xc970.jpg
    xc970.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 17
  • nr970.jpg
    nr970.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 7

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just to clarify slightly from rail-britain's post above, the £9.70 fare is valid only on Cross Country services between Edinburgh Waverly and Glasgow Central. If you try to use it on any other service other than a Cross Country service you would not have a valid ticket and would be treated accordingly. So if the times of those services suit then by all means use those trains but if you want more flexibility you'll need to buy a different ticket.

This is correct. The £9.70 fare is an Anytime Day Return between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley valid only on services operated by Cross Country Trains at any time of the day. This includes the 0601 departure. Cross Country Trains run services between these two cities approximately every two hours.

Alternatively ScotRail operate a shuttle service every 15 minutes between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh. They also operate trains between Glasgow Central and Edinburgh. An Anytime Day Return valid on all operators costs £21 and is valid at any time. There is also an Off-Peak Day Return which is valid on all operators and costs £12.10. There are time restrictions as to when you can use the Off-Peak Day Return. This is quoted below.

Restriction H1 said:
Outward and Return

By any train except those timed to depart Mondays-Fridays before 09:15. Passengers MAY NOT JOIN at Glasgow Queen Street or Central, Edinburgh or Haymarket Mondays-Fridays any service departing between 16:43 and 18:09 nor the 18:15 Edinburgh-Glasgow Queen Street, the 18:15 Glasgow Queen Street-Edinburgh service, and the 18:30 East Coast Edinburgh to Aberdeen service (except: passengers may join the 17:56 to Glasgow via Shotts).

Status
Not open for further replies.