• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central chaos - 16/07/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was passing through Glasgow Central earlier and there were delays / cancellations due to an earlier possession overrun at Rutherglen. What I don't understand is why services to Ayrshire were affected as they go nowhere near Rutherglen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Termy

My uneducated guess is that stock coming from elsewhere due to change over to those services starting from Glasgow Central were affected by the delays? :)

Bennski

I imagine so as many services that come into Glasgow central are made up of multiply units which then split to start new services which is why there are always alot of 380's just sitting in GLC. Maybe wrong but from my experience thats usually the case...

Highlandspring

Established Member
It's the traincrew diagrams that cause the problems rather than the sets. For a short while every platform at Central station was full to capacity and with drivers out of position due to the disruption it was extremely difficult to run services out to clear the platforms. Once this happens it tends to spiral and can be very challenging to recover. However the situation has got steadily better through the course of the afternoon (as the backshift drivers started to come on duty) and is nearly back to normal now.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the traincrew diagrams that cause the problems rather than the sets. For a short while every platform at Central station was full to capacity and with drivers out of position due to the disruption it was extremely difficult to run services out to clear the platforms. Once this happens it tends to spiral and can be very challenging to recover. However the situation has got steadily better through the course of the afternoon (as the backshift drivers started to come on duty) and is nearly back to normal now.

Thanks for the explanation - unfortunately there was similar disruption at GC this evening this time due to a points failure at Shields - not a good day for Glasgow Central today.

It is not just some signalling alterations, it is resignalling the area controlled by Polmadie Workstation in WSSC. It is replacing two Scottish region goegraphical interlockings (Polmadie RR & Rutherglen RR) with Westlock interlockings and new signal gantries / signals with refurbished signal posts, new trackside equipment including trough route and cabling as well and transmission of the interlocking from WSSC in Cowlairs to the trackside (all duplicated)

Bikeman78

Established Member
Was passing through Glasgow Central earlier and there were delays / cancellations due to an earlier possession overrun at Rutherglen. What I don't understand is why services to Ayrshire were affected as they go nowhere near Rutherglen?
Resulted in a few interesting workings. 314s to Lanark amongst others. Today there is a 318 on the Wemyss Bay line. Not seen or heard of one going there since 2010.

SC318250

Looks like 318264 that was on Wemyss Bay services ended up on the 1712 Paisley Canal service before doing 1806 Neilston then retiring for the evening to Corkerhill

benbristow

There was a points failure at Shields Junction apparently affecting all the main Ayrshire services (Largs/Gourock/Weymss Bay/Ardrossan Harbour/Ayr). Got on the 18:04 Ayr Train after work and it was absolutely mobbed. Train was cancelled about 10 minutes after scheduled departure, then all of us Paisley folk moved onto an Ardrossan Harbour service which was also cancelled 3 minutes before departure.

Finally found another service to get on and as people were sat down they changed the service that the train was operating! A lot of people got off but I managed to stay on back to Paisley Gilmour Street.

Very disorganised I must say

route101

Established Member
Resulted in a few interesting workings. 314s to Lanark amongst others. Today there is a 318 on the Wemyss Bay line. Not seen or heard of one going there since 2010.

The 318s must still be cleared for the line , i wonder for down Ayr etc too.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Bugger I wish I'd known about that - with the imminent rundown of the class 314's that might have been the last chance to have a 314 to Lanark.
Quite possibly. I was hoping that 314s would go to Larkhall or Motherwell with the amended timetable this week but all booked pairs of 318/320. Yesterday the system showed a 314+320 combination on some Neilston trains. Did that really happen? Is it even possible? I know that 314/318/320 can run empty together but never seen a 314 coupled to another class in service.

Bikeman78

Established Member
The 318s must still be cleared for the line , i wonder for down Ayr etc too.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the DOO mirrors have gone beyond Paisley Gilmour Street so Ayr/Largs/Ardrossan trains have to be fitted with DOO cameras. Wemyss Bay and Gourock are fine because 314s still go there every day.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yesterday the system showed a 314+320 combination on some Neilston trains. Did that really happen? Is it even possible? I know that 314/318/320 can run empty together but never seen a 314 coupled to another class in service.
That’ll be a Genius error. You’re rught 314s can mechanically couple to 318s and 320s but there’s no through door control possible.

Timster83

Quite possibly. I was hoping that 314s would go to Larkhall or Motherwell with the amended timetable this week but all booked pairs of 318/320. Yesterday the system showed a 314+320 combination on some Neilston trains. Did that really happen? Is it even possible? I know that 314/318/320 can run empty together but never seen a 314 coupled to another class in service.

The 2020 to Larkhall on Monday (via Queens Park) was a three car 314.

Status
Not open for further replies.