Glasgow Central - Stranraer/Girvan and Kilmarnock fares/t&c's

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by GaryBrown156, 28 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryBrown156

GaryBrown156 Member

Hi Guys :)

As I had a free day today and the weather wasn't too bad I decided to go for a "wee" run somewhere on my favourite DMU "the Class 156" and ideally to somewhere that I hadn't been for a while, for some reason Stranraer sprang to mind so I decided on that :)
    This was quite a spur of the moment decision and my brain wasn't quite as sharp when purchasing my ticket as it would normally have been.
    My original plan was:
    To catch the 9.38 Glasgow Central to Stranraer service, spend a few hours there and then return to Glasgow later today via Kilmarnock, I only purchased a single ticket for this journey as I was unsure whether or not a return would allow me to return to Glasgow via Kilmarnock as on the website it says to change at Ayr, this opinion didn't appeal to me as I was specifically wanting a day on the class 156.
    Anyhow once I arrived in Stranraer I decided that I didn't want to spend quite as much time there as had original anticipated "there's nothing more depressing than the sight of a no longer functioning ferry terminal :(" so I decided to catch the train back to Girvan and spend an hour or so there, but when I asked the conductor on the train for a single and was told that it would cost me "£10.60" I nearly fainted, i mean "£10.60" seems quite expensive for 2 stops especially considering a single from Glasgow to Stranraer only costs £12.70.
    I was wondering "for future reference" whether anyone could give me a bit of advice on the best ticket to purchase for this journey and whether or not a single from Girvan to Glasgow Central will allow me to go via Kilmarnock

Thanks
    Yours sincerely
    Gary Brown :)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bb21

bb21 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Glasgow to Girvan/Stranraer is most certainly valid via Kilmarnock.

A single Stranraer to Girvan is in the grand scheme of things quite expensive, as I believe the Glasgow to Stranraer ticket is priced at a quite low rate.

4. duffers2324

duffers2324 Member

Yeah a pretty similar thing happened with my self i was travelling from Girvan to Glasgow and back the same day so i bought a return and was shocked when the conductor said that it was £17.20 he said to me that it would cost me less if i bought a single into Ayr and then got a Daytripper ticket as i was travelling with my partner, i politely turned down his offer as we just wanted to go straight through without the faffing about and changing at Ayr, this also just happened to be the train via Kilmarnock that we were on and we probably would have been quicker getting off at Ayr and changing but we decided to just sit it out.

5. GaryBrown156

GaryBrown156 Member

Thanks bb21 :)
    Let me just check that I'm not misunderstanding you

would it therefore be possible for me to purchase a return ticket from Glasgow Central to Girvan,
    Catch a Glasgow to Kilmarnock bound 156 then change onto a Girvan/Stranraer bound 156 at Kilmarnock to complete my journey to Girvan? or would this not be allowed?

The reason why I'm a bit unsure is because it says on the ScotRail website "change at Ayr".

I just want to make sure that I don't fall foul of the rules that's all :)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2015
  6. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

A Glasgow to Girvan (or Stranraer) ticket is valid via Kilmarnock. So you can use any train (keeping in mind any time restrictions) to Kilmarnock and any train from there to Ayr and then any train to Girvan.

The Scotrail website will be defaulting to showing you the quickest journey which will be via Ayr. If you ask it to show you trains via Kilmarnock it will offer exactly the same ticket but it won't, by default, show you all possible options as most passengers want the fastest journey (normally with the fewest changes as well).

7. bb21

bb21 Forum Staff Staff Member Global Moderator

Yes, that is absolutely fine. The ticket will say "Any Permitted" so you can use any route that is a permitted route for that ticket. You don't have to change at Ayr, but obviously that is the most direct route and in most cases quicker.

You can jump on and off the train as many times as you like, as long as you don't go back on yourself and always proceed along the way towards your destination. There is also no break of journey restriction on the Glasgow to Stranraer/Girvan ticket so you can stop off at an intermediate station for a few hours and carry on later if you so wish.

8. GaryBrown156

GaryBrown156 Member

Thanks for the info guys, Very much appreciated :)
    This has always been a grey area to me until now

I really enjoyed my "wee" jaunt down the coast today I will definitely be doing it again sometime soon but next time i think i will just go as far as Girvan, Stranraer is a bit of a ghost town these days especially now that the big ships no longer call there so to me the extra expense isn't really worth it.
    Girvan is much nicer plus I think its within the SPT "Daytripper" zone so that would be a lot better for me :)

9. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

The shortest route from Girvan to Glasgow Central is via Kilmarnock. Completely, undoubtedly permitted without even touching the Routeing Guide!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.