• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Challenge - 25 July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
This is my first attempt at a trip report, inspired by Techniquest’s ongoing and very entertaining account of his ALR. Sorry if I’ve got some of the units wrong!

I had been looking forward to the Challenge for some time, having not been to Glasgow before and not “north of the border” for several years. Four teams took part in the Challenge - I joined Ascot and MattE2010 to form a team of three.

The first move of the day at 0701 was a Northern stopper from Manchester Victoria to Wigan Wallgate as I’d decided to treat myself to a VT first class breakfast on the run up to Glasgow! I made it in good time to cross the road to Wigan North Western where I boarded the 08.00 VT service to Glasgow Central. On the way to Glasgow I realised that 323235 was sitting in the same coach, just a couple of seats away from me and we realised we were heading to the same place! MattE2010 was also travelling up on the same train.

Despite rainy weather on the run up, the sun came out as we crossed into Scotland and passed through the spectacular Borders countryside and we reached Glasgow Central on time, meeting the other teams for the start of the Challenge (bb21 and gnolife; Max, Philip Brown and Yorkie; 323235 and Oscar). Matt and I purchased our Roundabout tickets and then the Challenge began!

Our first challenge move was the 11.05 to Williamwood on a near-empty Class 314 unit. From there a brisk walk took us to Clarkston where we just made it onto the much busier 11.38 back to GLC (on a Class 156). This meant we’d bagged 13 stations in the first hour so the day was going well. Descending via a long underground passage to the Low Level, we boarded the 12.07 eastbound service (Class 320). We debated whether to go all the way to Lanark, but decided it wasn’t worth it as we could gain more stations by stopping at Motherwell and picking up the 12.48 service (Class 318) back through the city to Dalmuir.

At DMR we made our 4-minute connection onto the 13.46 service (Class 334) to Anniesland which had some very sweary kids on board! There was a 24-minute gap before the next train so we grabbed some food and drink from the nearby Co-op before returning to ANL for the 14.22 train (another Class 156) to Glasgow Queen Street.

Here we picked up some timetables for backup information and as we had a long wait, did two one-station hops to High Street and Bellgrove with time to take a few photos. From BLG a Class 318 took us on the 15.06 to Springburn, where we had a short wait in the sun before the unexpected bonus of declassified air-conditioned First Class (Class 170) on the 15.29 to Cumbernauld!

There isn’t much around Cumbernauld station except a shop where I picked up some “souvenir” local biscuits for the missus and got a few more photos. Two more short Class 158 hops took us back to Greenfaulds (where we bumped into bb21 and gnolife boarding the train as we alighted) then Coatbridge Central, at which point we broke into a jog towards Coatbridge Sunnyside. Our final Challenge move was the 16.31 to Partick (Class 318), taking our total to 65 stations as we bagged Charing Cross. We couldn’t fit in any more NR stations and reach GLC before the 17.30 end point, so took the Subway (Outer Circle) back to St Enoch before arriving back at the start point before the other teams. Although we were the only team back on time we didn’t win but congratulations go to 323235 and Oscar!

The other teams turned up within 10 minutes of the end point. MattE2010 left to head back south and most of the remaining members enjoyed an inexpensive but delicious curry at Charcoals on Max’s recommendation. Ascot left to catch his flight back to Birmingham and we headed back to GLC, where we saw USA football fans returning from the women’s football at Hampden Park.

Max, Philip Brown and I (and their bikes) were due to catch the 20.10 to Preston but it was delayed and we eventually left Glasgow at 20.49 on a double Super Voyager. We travelled in the semi-FC carriage and found the Shop staff member highly amusing due to his regular “customised” announcements and theme music played over the PA! The delays meant that Max and Philip were taken from Preston to Sheffield by taxi and I arrived back in Manchester just before 1am. However the Challenge was a great day out, it was good as ever to meet everyone and for me the Subway move was a surprise bonus trip.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
telstarbox said:
Max, Philip Brown and I (and their bikes) were due to catch the 20.10 to Preston but it was delayed and we eventually left Glasgow at 20.49 on a double Super Voyager. We travelled in the semi-FC carriage and found the Shop staff member highly amusing due to his regular “customised” announcements and theme music played over the PA! The delays meant that Max and Philip were taken from Preston to Sheffield by taxi and I arrived back in Manchester just before 1am.

The first (and probably last) time I will ever hear Vivaldi played over the PA on a train - truly bizarre. And his emphasis on the presence of jelly tots in the shop was hilarious! :lol:

I have to agree, another great day out, thanks to all involved for making it so enjoyable. However, another win that could so easily have been for us sadly!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
:o What time did you get back to Sheffield Max? Must have been a cool but slightly eerie run over Woodhead or Snake Pass at that hour!!

Ascot

Established Member
It was a good day and was good to catch up with everyone again. My trip home was pretty normal after leaving you just after 7. The bus turned up at 19:08 and I arrived at Glasgow Airport around 19:25. After a quick fast-track through security I managed to be in the lounge for no later than 19:35 before enjoying a drink.

Boarding started around 20:10 for 33 people departing at 20:25, over Crewe at 21:05 with a wind change en-route causing us to fly over Hatton at 21:20 to land at 21:35. A quick Skyrail trip to the train station which got me home no later than 21:55.

Status
Not open for further replies.