• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig service

Status
Not open for further replies.

theironroad

Established Member
Hmm yeah not sure what the situation would be if they wanted to run HSTs along there at the stations between Fort William and Mallaig where currently only one passenger door opens.

In a way I can't understand why the route to Fort William is considered worthy of a sleeper service in each direction to London but isn't being considered as part of the HST ScotRail program. If it's on a main route and flow why not include it in the HST routes?

Dare I say it, but I'd imagine that the the fact that the sleeper originates in London and historically would have been the preserve , or a major user by, the rich and often absent landlords while the Glasgow to ftw and mallaig service is essentially a local service.

There have been issues of local tickets not being allowed in the seated part of the sleeper, though I think this has stopped as local tickets are supposed to be honoured.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The sleeper takes longer than the 156s to make the journey between Fort William and Glasgow as there are speed restrictions at several places that apply to locomotives but not DMUs.

If HSTs were put onto the line the journey time would increase, I suspect.

James James

The rolling stock for the best part of 30 years has been dreadful - dmu's obviously designed as the lowest quality they could get away with before they actually closed the line, tatty, rattling, cramped inflexible.

The potential of the line is enormous - if you had people in government or management who actually cared and had talent.
I couldn't agree more. I occasionally travel on scenic trains like the golden-pass panoramic in Switzerland, and the stock on that is just worlds apart from a 156. And even my daily commute is more comfortable and better for scenery-gazing. I can't imagine tourists would be particularly impressed.

Dare I say it, but I'd imagine that the the fact that the sleeper originates in London and historically would have been the preserve , or a major user by, the rich and often absent landlords while the Glasgow to ftw and mallaig service is essentially a local service.

There have been issues of local tickets not being allowed in the seated part of the sleeper, though I think this has stopped as local tickets are supposed to be honoured.
I thought the problem was that you couldn't get reservations for the Glasgow-FTW portion, and CS support staff gave confusing instructions - I haven't heard of walk-ons ever being rejected.

When I travelled on it, the restaurant certainly seemed to have a fair few posh aristocrats busy complaining about some ambassadors. Those same people probably ensure that the service will continue forever (and I imagine the increased pricing is of little significance to them).

Using HSTs would remove the flexible operation of regularly joining and splitting services that has taken place for the best part of the last thirty years. Track access charges and fuel costs would probably be increased, too, compared to Sprinter operation.
But... you could fit two DBSO's in the middle of the HST, and run it as 2 half-HST's. Maybe fit Dellner couplings, to both ends of the unit, to make sure you can couple quickly and in any arrangement.

(This is a joke, but one can dream...)

theironroad

Established Member
When I travelled on it, the restaurant certainly seemed to have a fair few posh aristocrats busy complaining about some ambassadors. Those same people probably ensure that the service will continue forever (and I imagine the increased pricing is of little significance to them).

If you look at the marketing, the texts, the images etc on their website and literature, this is the market they are aiming for. It's being marketed as a hotel on wheels , with guests not passengers or customers.

We saw an insight into this when the new prices were uploaded a few months ago which were significantly higher than the old sleeper (though temporarily out on hold due to delays in new stock coming online).

Maybe economically this is the only way the sleeper will survive, especially if it is going to run on a purely commercial basis. The sleeper was heavily subsidized by taxpayers and one wonders if that can be a!lowed to continue when the vast majority will be priced off of using it. I'm not sure what level of subsidy is and whether it is due to taper off.

takno

Established Member
My biggest complaint with the 158 seats is the seem too high particularly at the table seats.

Re the WHL getting 158s wasn’t there issues with them on the Borders line and gradients? Overheating engines rings a bell for some reason.
There were issues with overheating radiators. There were resolved though, and it's not a fundamental feature of 158s - they've been running up and down the Pennines okay for years

pt_mad

Established Member
If you look at the marketing, the texts, the images etc on their website and literature, this is the market they are aiming for. It's being marketed as a hotel on wheels , with guests not passengers or customers.

We saw an insight into this when the new prices were uploaded a few months ago which were significantly higher than the old sleeper (though temporarily out on hold due to delays in new stock coming online).

Maybe economically this is the only way the sleeper will survive, especially if it is going to run on a purely commercial basis. The sleeper was heavily subsidized by taxpayers and one wonders if that can be a!lowed to continue when the vast majority will be priced off of using it. I'm not sure what level of subsidy is and whether it is due to taper off.

Perhaps they could have considered more seating. I mean trians run overnight on TPE and they're not special sleeper trains. Perhaphs GWR style HSTs with slightly cheaper fares and majority seating could have been an option.

InOban

Established Member
Travelled the whole way up the Far North line for the Friends AGM a couple of days ago. Don't know whether it was a refurbished one.

cf111

Established Member
Travelled the whole way up the Far North line for the Friends AGM a couple of days ago. Don't know whether it was a refurbished one.
I think all of the Inverness based 158s are refurbished now. Were the seats ScotRail blue with saltires? If so it was a refurbished unit.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The lines are cleared for class 43 ( the NRM train visits regularly), so unless the new doors foul the platforms, there would be no problem.
When you say “regularly” presumably you mean “just the once, to Oban on May 30th 2014 and never again since”. And it’s the New Measurement Train - though why the ‘New’ hasn’t ever been changed to ‘Network’ over the last 10+ years I don’t know.

In a way I can't understand why the route to Fort William is considered worthy of a sleeper service in each direction to London but isn't being considered as part of the HST ScotRail program. If it's on a main route and flow why not include it in the HST routes?
Fort William isn’t one of the seven cities.

InOban

Established Member
The NMT has visited at least twice! And the published Route Availability lists include the class 43.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The HSTs are not part of the franchise plan for the WHL so it won't be happening. It's as simple as that.

marks87

Established Member
When you say “regularly” presumably you mean “just the once, to Oban on May 30th 2014 and never again since”. And it’s the New Measurement Train - though why the ‘New’ hasn’t ever been changed to ‘Network’ over the last 10+ years I don’t know.

Fort William isn’t one of the seven cities.

Well, the HSTs connecting the seven cities (end-to-end) is surely a happy accident rather than design?

I mean, Scotland only had four cities for over 100 years before Inverness was given the status in 2000. If Inverness had remained a town to this day (as Ayr and Paisley have done despite entering the same contest) would the HSTs have not gone further north than Aberdeen? Or indeed, if Ayr or Paisley had gained city status then what of the branding?

RLBH

Or indeed, if Ayr or Paisley had gained city status then what of the branding?
Of course, the Ayr trains were once operated by Swindon Inter-City DMUs, calling at Paisley, so it's not entirely beyond the realms of sanity....

Granted, they were the equivalent of the Glasgow-Edinburgh trains at the time. And today, Glasgow-Ayr and Glasgow-Edinburgh are both served by Class 380s, so I suppose it's no real change.

backontrack

Established Member
Very much like the Kyle line where tour companies will block book seats for a one-way journey with the passengers meeting up with a bus at the other end to carry on to the islands.
Another reason why THE LENTRAN LOOP MUST BE BUILT.

Journeyman

Established Member
It is embarrassing that the West Highland is marketed as a premier tourist experience and yet is so badly run.

And no I don't mean the day to day running of the operation where the staff do a superb job - I mean the people responsible for policy whether Management or Government.

The rolling stock for the best part of 30 years has been dreadful - dmu's obviously designed as the lowest quality they could get away with before they actually closed the line, tatty, rattling, cramped inflexible.

The potential of the line is enormous - if you had people in government or management who actually cared and had talent.

Personally I don't mind the 156s, as the low-backed seats and big windows allow you to make the most of the views. The only alternative at present would be a 158, which seems like a ghastly prospect. OK, they're a bit more modern, but the seats are much more cramped and the interiors feel a lot more claustrophobic. The aircon is also absolutely useless.

I can't help thinking a 170 would be better, but I know that's not going to happen.

It also surprises me that no effort has ever been made to offer some sort of premium class with decent seats and a meal service. I know it's not very practical with DMUs, but if there was some sort of offer like that, you could charge insane prices and still sell out really quickly.

scotraildriver

Established Member
It has visited only once on the date mentioned above. There are very few pics too as there was a serious RTA at Connel that night so the people chasing it couldn't get to Oban. It's never been back.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
If I can work out how to upload pictures, I'll attach mine.IMG_20140530_192318.jpg IMG_20140530_192200.jpg IMG_20140530_192012.jpg

GrimShady

Established Member
I made many posts on the subject of the sorry state of rolling stock, total lack of imagination, lack of interest. All of it was stamped on by the forums usual 'cant do' brigade.

What will be interesting is if the proposed 153 baggage plan goes ahead.

Good to know there are some with sense/like minded out there......finally 8-)

kylemore

I made many posts on the subject of the sorry state of rolling stock, total lack of imagination, lack of interest. All of it was stamped on by the forums usual 'cant do' brigade.

What will be interesting is if the proposed 153 baggage plan goes ahead.

Good to know there are some with sense/like minded out there......finally 8-)
Yes we are out here!

I think the new TPE mark V push/pulls would be an ideal train for the West Highland, incorporating a proper buffet/bar car - the SG should order a dozen or so and hire them out to the operator.

Cue howls of derision from the aforesaid "can't do" brigade.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Maybe not issues on "cannot do it" ,what about cost ? Yes - cost.....

The 156;s replaced a huge pool of 26 / 27's and an indifferent MK1 fleet (at a time when the Regional Railways were under huge cost pressures) .....it was a BR Management Course special study ...

Some of the comments on train loadings (and you should not frankly base the economics of a line , in my view on , on a some coach party visitors doing window gazing in the summer) ....seem just a bit on the low side. if you want that business , then consider a preserved railway.

GrimShady

Established Member
Yes we are out here!

I think the new TPE mark V push/pulls would be an ideal train for the West Highland, incorporating a proper buffet/bar car - the SG should order a dozen or so and hire them out to the operator.

Cue howls of derision from the aforesaid "can't do" brigade.

NTMU Kyle!

The issue with the MkV formations would be the choice of motive power, there isn't anything with a suitable RA apart from the 37s although they would make very, very nice WHL sets.

Like James James post above I suggested a split HST system with stripped down ex156 units in the middle nose to nose. This would still enable the split at Crianlarich and feature plenty of cycle/baggage space/buffet in the ex156 driving coach. As usual this was subjected to bouts of laughter from the 'cant do' brigade when all your talking about is stipping down a 156 and converting it to HST phase supply and control desk. Expensive? Maybe but cheaper than custom built units surely by a long shot, it would at least give you decent train to be used for another 10-15 years. The issue with this is the woefully low tractive effort of the Class 43.

Another option which springs to mind is a push/pull emu system utilising the soon to be introduced 385s and heavily modified Class 73's. This gives the ability to use the units anywhere on the network and run them as emus south of Craigendoran. I would think the interior's would have to be customised though as the 385s are very spartan IMO, micro buffet/shop inplace of trolley, more luggage space. As for expense surely it could be part of the current 385 order and I can see Hitachi offering a few for free or heavily discounted prices due the the recent fiasco.

All of these suggestions are technically possible, anything that costs more than £100 seems to be regarded by some members as hideously expensive and therefore doomed to fail.:rolleyes:
If you build them people will come otherwise no one is going to use a clapped out basic service that hasn't changed *cough* downgraded since 1989 especially now the dreaded BUS excels in terms comfort and timings!

The rail service in these areas should be used as a tool for improving the community, expanding tourism and other social benefits, not profit!

Maybe things will change in the future when my former employer Caledonian MacBrayne get the franchise ;)

InOban

Established Member
You would no know, reading this and similar threads, that, over the year, the number of passengers between Glasgow and Oban is around twice the number travelling to FW.

sprinterguy

Established Member
NTMU Kyle!

The issue with the MkV formations would be the choice of motive power, there isn't anything with a suitable RA apart from the 37s although they would make very, very nice WHL sets.

Like James James post above I suggested a split HST system with stripped down ex156 units in the middle nose to nose. This would still enable the split at Crianlarich and feature plenty of cycle/baggage space/buffet in the ex156 driving coach. As usual this was subjected to bouts of laughter from the 'cant do' brigade when all your talking about is stipping down a 156 and converting it to HST phase supply and control desk. Expensive? Maybe but cheaper than custom built units surely by a long shot, it would at least give you decent train to be used for another 10-15 years. The issue with this is the woefully low tractive effort of the Class 43.

Another option which springs to mind is a push/pull emu system utilising the soon to be introduced 385s and heavily modified Class 73's. This gives the ability to use the units anywhere on the network and run them as emus south of Craigendoran. I would think the interior's would have to be customised though as the 385s are very spartan IMO, micro buffet/shop inplace of trolley, more luggage space. As for expense surely it could be part of the current 385 order and I can see Hitachi offering a few for free or heavily discounted prices due the the recent fiasco.

All of these suggestions are technically possible, anything that costs more than £100 seems to be regarded by some members as hideously expensive and therefore doomed to fail.:rolleyes:
If you build them people will come otherwise no one is going to use a clapped out basic service that hasn't changed *cough* downgraded since 1989 especially now the dreaded BUS excels in terms comfort and timings!

The rail service in these areas should be used as a tool for improving the community, expanding tourism and other social benefits, not profit!

Maybe things will change in the future when my former employer Caledonian MacBrayne get the franchise ;)
I'm certainly not against more imaginative means of promoting and providing rolling stock better suited to the needs of the West Highland line, but I can't help but wonder how you feel that any of the loco hauled derivatives you've suggested would actually be advantageous over the current, or a comparable, multiple unit operation, given the limitations represented by the lengths of platforms and single line sections:

Platform lengths south of and inclusive of Crianlarich can accommodate a maximum of 6 x 23 metre carriages: To continue with the current splitting arrangement with single ended HSTs, even with power cars off the platforms at WHL stations, the maximum train length to Oban or Fort William respectively would be 1+3; a reduction in capacity from the 4-car class 156s that currently ply the Fort William route. There's also only one or two platforms, post lengthening, that will even be able to handle a 2+6 HST formation at Glasgow Queen Street (without fouling signals and points), and I believe these will be fully engaged handling Edinburgh - Glasgow traffic.

With 385s, using 3-car units you avoid the platform issue at Queen Street, but still lose capacity compared to the present day if splitting at Crianlarich, and if using 4-car units you're back up against the strictures of platform utilisation at Glasgow Q.S.. You're also adding an additional coupling operation at Helensburgh, and presumably would require another class 73 at Crianlarich waiting in the wings to take one or other of the portions forward, adding complexity and potential delay to the existing operation, even with autocouplers.

Of course you could run separate services to Oban and Fort William while maintaining current frequencies to both, but how much spare capacity is there on the single line sections between Craigendoran Junction and Crianlarich, and there is an increased (though probably fairly insignificant, in the grand scheme of things) crew cost and resource to consider.

I agree that there are more inventive ways to serve the needs of passengers on the West Highland line than with thirty year old 156s, or fettled class 158s: Personally I look forward to seeing a fleet of 4-car Stadler bi-modes (Shorter carriages than Super Sprinter stock) with panoramic windows introduced to the service once Cal-Mac take on the franchise. :D

GrimShady

Established Member
I'm certainly not against more imaginative means of promoting and providing rolling stock better suited to the needs of the West Highland line, but I can't help but wonder how you feel that any of the loco hauled derivatives you've suggested would actually be advantageous over the current, or a comparable, multiple unit operation, given the limitations represented by the lengths of platforms and single line sections:

Platform lengths south of and inclusive of Crianlarich can accommodate a maximum of 6 x 23 metre carriages: To continue with the current splitting arrangement with single ended HSTs, even with power cars off the platforms at WHL stations, the maximum train length to Oban or Fort William respectively would be 1+3; a reduction in capacity from the 4-car class 156s that currently ply the Fort William route. There's also only one or two platforms, post lengthening, that will even be able to handle a 2+6 HST formation at Glasgow Queen Street (without fouling signals and points), and I believe these will be fully engaged handling Edinburgh - Glasgow traffic.

With 385s, using 3-car units you avoid the platform issue at Queen Street, but still lose capacity compared to the present day if splitting at Crianlarich, and if using 4-car units you're back up against the strictures of platform utilisation at Glasgow Q.S.. You're also adding an additional coupling operation at Helensburgh, and presumably would require another class 73 at Crianlarich waiting in the wings to take one or other of the portions forward, adding complexity and potential delay to the existing operation, even with autocouplers.

Of course you could run separate services to Oban and Fort William while maintaining current frequencies to both, but how much spare capacity is there on the single line sections between Craigendoran Junction and Crianlarich, and there is an increased (though probably fairly insignificant, in the grand scheme of things) crew cost and resource to consider.

I agree that there are more inventive ways to serve the needs of passengers on the West Highland line than with thirty year old 156s, or fettled class 158s: Personally I look forward to seeing a fleet of 4-car Stadler bi-modes (Shorter carriages than Super Sprinter stock) with panoramic windows introduced to the service once Cal-Mac take on the franchise. :D

Honestly Sprinterguy I'm open to anything that involves a change from the norm, these were just suggestions to get away from the standard 'lets repaint a sprinter' thought process that ScotRail seem to suffer from. We'll probably never get a fleet of Stadlers although it would be nice. I was trying to think of solutions that are either follow ons from current rolling stock orders or heavily modifying current stock, none of which is technically hard.

HST splitting wouldn't be ideal which means separating the Oban/Ft Bill service as separate trains again. As for the 385's, 7 car units can operate in QS without any issue as they 380s do today. I imagine it would require two 73s at Helensburgh to drag the set to Crianlarich, one to runaround meanwhile the 3 car is split from the 4, and then couple from the rear.

If a small fleet of custom DMUs is more cost effective than loco hauled/push pull emu then so be it, something has to give and unfortunately money must be spent.

InOban

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that these 7/8 coach sets can only use one platform at QS?

GrimShady

Established Member
At present Platforms 2,3,5,6 & 7 should be able to handle 7 car formations if memory serves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.