• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Fort William - Mallaig service

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
About three times as many passengers use helensburgh upper as bridge of orchy. Admittedly there are six trains at H upper, and most of the passengers will not be on the trains the leisure travellers on this forum are likely to use. They have to stop anyway because that's where they log into the RETB.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
There's really not much point. 6 car trains on the North Clyde are more than sufficient, and given the tiny numbers that board WHL services at Dalmuir it would probably be better just not to call there. It's odd that the sleeper calls there too, virtually no one gets on or off that either.
The call at Dalmuir is important for southbound (e.g. WCML) connections. Whilst it's possible to continue on the train into Queen Street and then to change over to Central (walking or by bus), it's less of an inconvenience to do a same-platform 5-minute change to the Central-bound stopper.

This way you avoid the need to traipse around Glasgow city centre when it might be pouring down, or if you have a lot of luggage. Plus it's less of a tight connection (though either are within the limit of the official minimum connection time for the top-of-the-hour southbound VTWC services).

Killingworth

Established Member
West Highland restaurant car service was longer lived. I seem to recall it survived into the early to mid-1970s - perhaps someone can confirm this. .

It's amazing that dining was still being offered so long after we'd travelled and been the only users in 1958. However, my father's excitement may have been to find a former LNER triplet articulated dining unit normally used on east coast express trains on the service - or is my memory playing tricks?

GrimShady

Established Member
What is the issue with 158s on WHL, still gauge checks to be done?

They're certainly dragging their heels with whatever the problem is.

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
Abellio have instructed NR to cost whatever alterations are required. They will then discuss with Transport Scotland whether to spend that money or to agree a change to their franchise contract. They say that there are advantages in retaining the 156s (eg the ability to tag on the 153 units) and in the 158s (aircon).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I got off the southbound sleeper at Dalmuir just last week!

I was staying at the Charing Cross Premier Inn and annoyingly the sleeper passes through but doesn't call. I could've alighted at Queen Street and walked back but it's quicker to take the 7 minute connection at Dalmuir onto the 2359 service to Airdrie.

GrimShady

Established Member
Abellio have instructed NR to cost whatever alterations are required. They will then discuss with Transport Scotland whether to spend that money or to agree a change to their franchise contract. They say that there are advantages in retaining the 156s (eg the ability to tag on the 153 units) and in the 158s (aircon).
Thanks for the update.

Are they aware Northern Rail regularly run 158/153 combos?

Last edited:

Garmoran

Aye, it (annoyingly) comes up on routes from down here (ie from Birmingham) too: as an alternative to walking from Central to QS. So I guess that's why it is on the schedule - to provide an option for those from the south who want a direct rail link.

Can't recall anyone ever getting on/off there though. And I reckon Dumbarton and Helensburgh Upper combined provide less customers for the WHL than Bridge of Orchy does.

Always been annoying that we get to stop at such places .....

I got off the sleeper at Dalmuir once to go into Queen Street and catch the airport bus for an early morning flight.

InOban

Established Member
ATW, East Midlands and GWR do as well
I should have known that. I was trying to remember what 156 advantages we were given. Of course, there's always the unreliability of almost all 158 fleets, except for the Salisbury 159s.

GrimShady

Established Member
I should have known that. I was trying to remember what 156 advantages we were given. Of course, there's always the unreliability of almost all 158 fleets, except for the Salisbury 159s.

159s would actually be a better choice I think if any were avaliable that is. They have the space to add extra luggage/bike storage/micro buffet.

Journeyman

Established Member
Though I qualify for a free coach trip, I wouldn’t go to Fort William by coach even if someone paid me for doing it.
(It so happens that I have in fact once been paid to do exactly that, but that’s neither here nor there :) )

For me, the attraction is the rail journey.
Without being too unkind to Fort Bill, as a Scottish resident I can find many other places with heavy rain and rather more to do somewhat nearer.

I agree, getting there by train is spectacular, but once you've actually arrived, Fort William is a dump. Oban is much nicer.

GrimShady

Established Member
I agree, getting there by train is spectacular, but once you've actually arrived, Fort William is a dump. Oban is much nicer.

Agreed. It's a shame more is not not made of Ft William. There's not a lot there at all.

Journeyman

Established Member
Agreed. It's a shame more is not not made of Ft William. There's not a lot there at all.

It's an excellent base for a whole range of activities nearby, but the town itself is well past its best and decidedly average in terms of what's on offer.

theironroad

Established Member
It's an excellent base for a whole range of activities nearby, but the town itself is well past its best and decidedly average in terms of what's on offer.

Pretty much sums it up. It's more of a 'base' to stay &/or getting supplies for outdoor type stuff in the Nevis and wider Lochaber area rather than a destination in its own right. Oban is certainly a prettier town and also calmac gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.