• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Inverness ticket valid via Aberdeen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
Just wondering about this. Would an off-peak day return (for a Saturday) booked in advance for a trip from Glasgow Queen Street - Inverness be valid on a Glasgow - Aberdeen train, changing at Aberdeen for an Inverness train?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'm afraid I don't think it would be valid - Routeing guide shows maps [FD],[GA] neither of which include the Aberdeen - Inverness line, and it is not the shortest route, and there are no direct trains taking that route. Apologies if this is wrong - I'm a Routeing Guide newbie!

The 'booking in advance' bit is irrelevant on an Off-Peak Day Return.

cheers

Yes. See map below for variations allowed

Peter

Sorry, I didn't see that map. I looked at the wrong routeing points in the guide and therefore the wrong maps.

However, just noticed the following Easement:
Customers travelling between Inverness and Perth may travel via Aberdeen. This easement applies in both directions.

So I guess it is valid and I stand corrected.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
No because the OP is travelling between Glasglow & Inverness.

However, just noticed the following Easement:
Customers travelling between Inverness and Perth may travel via Aberdeen. This easement applies in both directions.

So I guess it is valid and I stand corrected.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yes it is valid! How do you get from Glasgow to Inverness without visitng Perth?!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sorry My Interpretation is that you are only travelling between VVV & OOO if your ticket states

From VVV
To OOO

Sorry if my interpretation is wrong.

Yes it is valid! How do you get from Glasgow to Inverness without visitng Perth?!

Bittern

Established Member
The reason I'm asking is because you get two options when doing is journey. These options are:

Route - Any permitted
and
Route - Aviemore

The 'booking in advance' bit is irrelevant on an Off-Peak Day Return.

cheers
Maybe I got that bit wrong. I recal lbooking my last Glasgow - Inverness ticket in advance and the guy in the ticket office told me it was off-peak because it was a Saturday.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The reason I'm asking is because you get two options when doing is journey. These options are:

Route - Any permitted
and
Route - Aviemore

Maybe I got that bit wrong. I recal lbooking my last Glasgow - Inverness ticket in advance and the guy in the ticket office told me it was off-peak because it was a Saturday.

Fares simplification! You can book an Advance in advance, you cna also book an Anytime or an Off Peak in advance! If you had a ticket that was in peak time (whatever that is on the route) on Monday to Friday, it would be off peak on a Saturday as ticket restrictions are usually M-F only.

If there are no Advance tickets available, yuu should be offered the cheapest walk up ticket for the journey, regardless of whether you are travelling the enxt day or the enxt week. There's little point in buying these in advance as they will be the same price on the day, unless you want a reserved seat!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Route Aviemore, by definition, is not valid via Aberdeen.
Route Any Permitted has to be valid via Aberdeen, on the basis that it would be utterly pointless if it was only valid via Aviemore! So I think you can safely say that the Any Permitted is valid via Aberdeen!

As for "Customers travelling between Inverness and Perth may travel via Aberdeen" I think that covers it, as a customer travelling from Glasgow to Inverness is clearly travelling between those points, equally a customer travelling from Perth to Dingwall is travelling between those points.

CarterUSM

Established Member

Route - Any permitted
and
Route - Aviemore

An any permitted route ticket for this journey is valid via aberdeen. You would not encounter any problems with this at all, seen it loads of times.

bnm

Established Member

Can you not do a big 'horseshoe' on Map IS, Glasgow-Stirling-Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Inverness? That would avoid Perth.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Can you not do a big 'horseshoe' on Map IS, Glasgow-Stirling-Edinburgh-Aberdeen-Inverness? That would avoid Perth.

If memory serves I think you could come back via edinburgh too, I certainly done that before years ago. Glasgow- inverness via aviemore, on to aberdeen, down to haymarket and back to queen st. Long day, but I was bored sitting about.

route:oxford

Established Member

A part of me thinks that under normal circumstances you'd have to change at Larbert and Haymarket to avoid doubling back on yourself...

However, from experience, I've often found it cheaper to but a rail ticket from Glasgow Queen Street to London (change at Stirling) onto the Highland Chieftan than to buy a ticket direct from Stirling on the HC.

There is also the potential to route via the only daily train from Glasgow to Fife...

17.33 Service Glasgow Queen St to Kirkcaldy, arriving 19.05
20.10 Service Kirkcaldy to Inverness, arriving 23.14

This won't take you via Aberdeen, but will take you over 1 of the least used passenger routes in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.