• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow-Manchester-Glasgow. 8 hours each way. 24-25 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

farci

Due to serious disruption my journeys took 8 hours each way. Reading other recent threads I understand there were problems beyond TOCs' control. My issue is the inability of hard-pressed staff to transmit reliable information to passengers.

On my outward journey Virgin delivered us to Carlisle without incident. TPE only got us to Lancaster and stated nothing was going forward south due to overhead line problems; we were detrained, promised buses by TPE onboard staff of which Virgin station staff had no knowledge. Eventually a southbound Virgin train took us to Preston for the 'Olympic running between platforms and on/off cancelled services contest' for three hours. Winners were eventually despatched standing on a packed Northern service to Manchester.

My return journey started with (at 15 mins notice) a cancelled TPE to Glasgow (GLC), packed Northern service to Preston, the disappearing promised bus to Lancaster then reinstatement of a TPE service to Edinburgh. 70-80 passengers to GLC were offloaded at Carlisle for a bus service announced by TPE on-board staff which Virgin station staff knew nothing about.

These very dedicated station staff argued with their control who eventually authorised taxis for 70 passengers to Glasgow

I am a rail enthusiast unaware of how such situations should or could be better managed. Interested in the opinions of those of you in the know

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

My son was in Manchester and could not get to Preston for his advance service to Glasgow at 20:53 (9S97) (had separate tickets from Piccadilly to Preston). The NR / Northern folk advised him to travel to York and get to Glasgow via Edinburgh! He decided to speak to VT staff in Piccadilly and ask if he could travel south to Crewe to catch the train from there... they agreed and he got home relatively unscathed from Fridays disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.