• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

applepie2100

For most of this week there have been barriers around the top end of platforms 2--5 where what I assume the crumple zones are for the buffer stops. Does anyone have any idea why?

There also seem to be issues with parts of the roof leaking when it rains (and believe me it rains a lot in Scotland!) so it looks like there might be a fair bit of snagging still outstanding.

Unfortunately the lack of retail with only a couple of coffee carts taking up space on the concourse, missing the opportunity to install escalators to the low level and no work at all being done on the low level itself takes the shine off the project a little. It does look really good but it could be even better.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carntyne

It looks like they've got plenty of shop space available, tenants probably the real issue given the drop in passenger numbers.

najaB

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the lack of retail with only a couple of coffee carts taking up space on the concourse...
There is space for retail now and the space will more than double when the next phase of the development happens.
...missing the opportunity to install escalators to the low level and no work at all being done on the low level itself
There was some discussion up-thread about that but it seems that escalators were considered but reduced the passenger capacity as compared to stairs. There may be new escalators in the next phase of development.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm not bothered about the retail but the low level station which hosts the Helensburgh to Waverley service is a major short coming to my mind.

paul1609

Established Member
Unfortunately the abandoned island platform in the middle seems to give the low level station a semi derelict feel. Escalators to the main concourse should have been an absolute must. I don't believe the reduced passenger flows, there is loads of room.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the abandoned island platform in the middle seems to give the low level station a semi derelict feel. Escalators to the main concourse should have been an absolute must. I don't believe the reduced passenger flows, there is loads of room.

I must say I think it’s fine.

najaB

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the abandoned island platform in the middle seems to give the low level station a semi derelict feel. Escalators to the main concourse should have been an absolute must.
They haven't been ruled out, they just weren't included in this phase of the project.

paul1609

Established Member
I must say I think it’s fine.
It's really not. No escalators from the low level. 50p cash charge (if you have to charge then surely Contactless in this day and age) for using the toilet down stairs from the main concourse. Image over practicality I'm afraid. 1 out of 5, shocking waste of money imho.

alangla

What improvements would you have liked to have seen?
Removing the posters talking about the rebuild that completely cover the walls, installing extra seating (ScotRail or NR recently tweeted a before vs after picture and some comments said that the yellow bench that ran the length of the platform offered far more seats), replace the tall metal bar things with proper seats, add some kind of dynamic “doors stop here” indicators to spread people along 3 or 6 car sets, remove the platform end barriers that are in front of the new lifts (yep, they are beyond the barrier, though it’s now left open, still discouraging though) & improve signage for them, fix the leaks coming through the ceiling & light fittings, generally redecorate and fix the timetable as timekeeping is all over the shop just now (ok, not station related)

Status
Not open for further replies.