• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

clc

Established Member
I suspected as much, perhaps something like Dumbarton - Queen Street low level - Springburn - Anniesland?

You'd have to build the E&G flyover at Cowlairs which would only be justified if you wanted to remove all North Suburban services from Queen St High Level in order to free up capacity for longer distance services. I don't suppose the residents of Maryhill would be too happy about going the long way round to Queen St.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NotATrainspott

Established Member
When I passed a month ago, the high level to Springburn curve appeared fully wired already.

This was done as part of the Cumbernauld wiring programme back in 2014.

The tunnel and station is wired but Cowlairs incline isn't. There's still a fair bit to go yet, although the remaining parts are all standard overnight possession stuff.

mcmad

I wonder why the crossovers aren't wired? That seems a bit of an omission considering most services use at least one of them.

najaB

Veteran Member
I wonder why the crossovers aren't wired? That seems a bit of an omission considering most services use at least one of them.
I believe they have been - there was another picture posted up-thread that appeared to show the registration arms for the conductor bars over the crossovers.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
After a brief hesitation, I've decided to publish the planned last update and be damned. This one is shot from public places as usual or as a fare paying passenger. I did not attempt to sign in as an enthusiast at the station.

Latest update
Video series

I may resume this series when the next phase starts later this year.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Just to clarify: I normally report to the Duty Manager at Queen Street if I intend to take photos in the station (as per their Guidelines for Enthusiasts), which means signing in and getting a Visitor's badge.

As the station was open on Sunday, that is what I should really have done, but I was only there briefly while waiting for my train. The construction works were finished by the end of last week.

I've been back since, but I cleared it in advance just to be sure.

PaulLothian

Just had my first chance to view the works done by during the closure. Was particularly struck by the views from the bridge over the station throat -- amazingly like looking at a not very well weathered model railway station!

TheEscapist_

Has the speed limit increased leaving the station? Seems to be a lot faster than it used to be! Stations a little bare this now thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gsnedders

Established Member
Has the speed limit increased leaving the station? Seems to be a lot faster than it used to be! Stations a little bare this now thought.

From memory (I expect someone will correct me) the speed limit has increased over the pointwork, though line speed in the tunnel is unchanged (and the 170s take a long time to reach it up the steep climb).

Class 170101

Established Member
The 170s might take time to reach the speeds but what about its successors the shortened HST and Class 385s?

QueensCurve

Established Member
I seem to recall someone was asking if the Cowlairs to Anniesland route would be wired. The attached picture of a piled foundation was one In took on the route on 09 July.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_2218 - Rotated.jpg
    DSC_2218 - Rotated.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 389

scotraildriver

Established Member
From memory (I expect someone will correct me) the speed limit has increased over the pointwork, though line speed in the tunnel is unchanged (and the 170s take a long time to reach it up the steep climb).

Line speed is now 25mph through the crossing departing. 20mph arriving. Previously 15mph.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I seem to recall someone was asking if the Cowlairs to Anniesland route would be wired. The attached picture of a piled foundation was one In took on the route on 09 July.

Where was the location?

If it was at the Cowlairs side, I believe it is normal practice these days to have a short stretch of electrification at junctions to prevent trains being stranded if should the driver accepts the wrong route that has been signalled (or stick for London Underground staff that are reading this).

Furthermore, I believe that there is also a short stretch at the Knightswood /Dawsholm Junctions end that runs to just before Kelvindale station.

QueensCurve

Established Member
Where was the location?

If it was at the Cowlairs side, I believe it is normal practice these days to have a short stretch of electrification at junctions to prevent trains being stranded if should the driver accepts the wrong route that has been signalled (or stick for London Underground staff that are reading this).

Furthermore, I believe that there is also a short stretch at the Knightswood /Dawsholm Junctions end that runs to just before Kelvindale station.

Don't recall exactly where, but it was near the Cowlairs end.

Railsigns

Established Member
I've seen OLE mast foundations on both the east and west curves at Cowlairs, but none to the west of Cowlairs North Junction.

sng7

Iv not been through post works, are there any facilities at all on the concourse now or is it all totally stripped?

When i was there a few weeks ago the toilets, ticket office and I think boots where still open along with a temporary coffee stand where open, everything else was closed up.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The wires will extend as far as Ashfield station to allow a train to be turned on the triangle if required. Gives an easier option than turning at Springburn which would involve more conflicts.

Mordac

Established Member
The wires will extend as far as Ashfield station to allow a train to be turned on the triangle if required. Gives an easier option than turning at Springburn which would involve more conflicts.

That bodes well for Anniesland electrification in CP6 :D

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
This has been posted in the Scotrail Franchise - Abellio thread
(Thanks Good Point!):

£112m Queen Street Station revamp months behind schedule

WORK to redevelop Glasgow’s Queen Street Station is months behind schedule.

Main construction on the £112 million scheme was meant to get under way this month but Transport Scotland last night admitted the work was now planned for the second quarter of this year

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/112m-station-revamp-is-plagued-by-delays/

I'm looking for another report for more details than Oor Wullie has furnished in its item, but so far no luck.

Established Member

takno

Established Member
They could just be waiting a few more months to see if falls down on its own

clc

Established Member
Won't this delay the introduction of 8-car trains? I assume they can't uncover the platform extensions until the concourse has been extended towards George Square.

Status
Not open for further replies.