• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry no trains this time, but the new station steelwork is starting to appear.
There’s now viewing areas provided, similar to those provided in the station during the track and platform alterations in 2016.

Thanks for the update @PaxVobiscum ! Brilliant to see the progress.

To compliment your excellent video Network Rail published these images on their Twitter feed yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1070309673998475264

Dtp7F7iWoAEcSfH.jpg
Dtp7c6BW4AAk2Rx.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member

InOban

Established Member
NR have posted pictures if the installation of major steelwork over the weekend. On their Twitter feed.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
image.jpeg They're working away hard, but it doesn't look all that much different from when the steelwork started to appear in December. I've paid a few visits since, but it wasn't really worth posting any video.
I'm keeping an eye on the progress and will do another one soon.

For compensation, here's a photo taken on Tuesday 22/01/19 looking across the old Dundas St entrance and towards the space where the Low Level line crosses. There's a lot of construction been going on there but it's all hidden.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
image.jpeg Here's another taken on Tuesday 22/01/19 looking down Dundas Street to the corner with West George Street. The chap on the left is standing at the west wall of the new building. There's a lot of work been going on in the basement behind him, but I didn't have my trained seagull with me that day so no aerial view I'm afraid. ;)

GrimShady

Established Member
Any info on the goods yard retail development?

I really, really hope proper taxi/drop off access is being planned.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The tandem lift is quite an usual procedure & relies on close coordination & skill of crane operatives to lift & position the 66 tonne - 53 metre main truss section so it can be fixed to supporting steel. We envisage it will be at circa 1am for any night-owls keen to watch

Thanks for the tip – watch this space...

EDIT: And here's the main truss, all assembled and waiting to be lifted early on Sunday morning:

main_truss.jpg
19:02 25/01/2019
https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1088794835711156224 said:
Two 500 tonne cranes stand ready to carry out the second and last major steel lift on work to redevelop #Glasgow’s Queen street station.
(Photo from Twitter)
network_rail.jpg
Err, no. One of them seems to have sneaked off tonight for a tea break, and the other doesn't have it's jib extended (well, its got to keep it up all night tomorrow I suppose). Don't know when that was taken.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Err, no. One of them seems to have sneaked off tonight for a tea break, and the other doesn't have it's jib extended (well, its got to keep it up all night tomorrow I suppose). Don't know when that was taken.
The lift picture shows the answer- those white and yellow cranes weren't the heavy lift ones!

InOban

Established Member
I was confident that the lift would have to be postponed because of the weather. Well done guys.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member

Update 30 featuring the lift in the early hours of Sunday and the latest views in daylight on Monday.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Last edited:

youngac

I’m quite impressed with how quickly the structure of the new extension is appearing. Here’s a photo I took of it earlier today.

Attachments

• 361C36E3-D73F-4D33-BACA-D02C408F69B7.jpeg
    361C36E3-D73F-4D33-BACA-D02C408F69B7.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 141

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
https://opendoors.construction/site/111#loc_about[/QUOTE]
Just tried to register....fully booked already, so on a waiting list.....NOT holding my breath.

I was away for a few days from last Saturday. By the time I heard about this, it was fully booked - within a few hours I believe. Ah well. My trained seagull and I will just have to carry on as usual. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.