• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

InOban

Established Member
Sorry, I got confused about the direction in which the photo was taken.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Sorry, didn’t mean to sound rude there, I’m not very good with working Twitter :smile: and wondered why I couldn’t find a pic of new OHLE masts.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Bored with Love Island? Here's where the real action is – Queen Street Update 38 now released:

EDIT: Of course, with the work progressing so fast, that video is out of date already. Latest pics from NetWork Rail show that the section over the Low Level will be slabtrack, and sleepers are being laid on the rest. I'll try to upload the photos, but meanwhile here's the link (no Twitter account required to view):

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1151865944064630784

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
OHLE terminal masts have appeared but a bit further in than I was expecting. :oops:
Looks like I became a bit disoriented at the start of the latest phase - some correction needed I fear.

EDIT: Update 38 has now had a small snip to remove disinformation, fake news and I am an enemy of the people :'(.

ohle.jpg

New p 2/3 posts nearest the barrier, old ones back to the left.

Attachments

• B0F0E590-5A47-421B-9F78-0309983D666D.jpeg
    B0F0E590-5A47-421B-9F78-0309983D666D.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Matt37

Can anyone confirm what all the platform lengths will be when the platform extension works are complete? Am I correct in thinking that platforms 2,3,4,5 & 7 will be able to handle 8x23m carriages, but platform 6 will not?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Don’t have the exact length but the extended p1 takes 4 coaches now - quite a bit shorter than the others.

InOban

Established Member
So they've put a temporary bridge across the new tracks while they work on the buffer stops?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Apparently so - haven’t been there myself today (well I need a day off occasionally :lol:).
In my defence, I was on my first Lanark 385 from Central instead).

gsnedders

Established Member
So they've put a temporary bridge across the new tracks while they work on the buffer stops?
That what it appeared like yesterday afternoon, yes. (Yesterday morning passenger flow was still by the new buffer stops.)

ScottDarg

First glazing panels up on the facade this morning. Sorry no photo!

Couple of images posted on Twitter yesterday: https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1153331429532680192
Queen Street redevelopment is adding a touch of glass with the installation of the new façade. Between now and September, 310 glass panes will be installed across the 21-metre-high structure to create new frontage of city station. More details here https://gapi.io/654f #GQS

EAF0z-dXoAY8MdO.jpg

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1153331444602875904
Covering an area of 734m2 and weighing 33,000kg, floor-to-ceiling glazing will gradually bring to life the striking design of the new exterior, from both inside & outside station. Its yet another exciting phase of project to transform #GQS in to a station fit for a Queen street

EAF01KvWwAElKso.jpg

Looks like reasonable quality glazing - I'm surprised given the value engineering present in the rest of the structure! Looking forward to seeing this bit completed in full!

d9009alycidon

Another stage will be completed next week....

Copied from the Scotrail forum and originally from the WON:

GLASGOW QUEEN STREET STATION - PLATFORMS 2 AND 3 ENTRY INTO SERVICE

From 0500 hours on Monday 29th July 2019, the newly extended Platforms 2 and 3 and
associated infrastructure will be entered into operational use.

This will introduce the following infrastructure changes:

Platform extension at concourse end with the new platform operational lengths:

Platform 2 – 171 metres (max 7 coaches)
Platform 3 – 196 metres (max 8 coaches)

Provision of a new friction buffer stop with reflective strip at Platform ends.

Installation of frangible decking at the buffer end of the platforms.

New car stop marker poles provided on the approach to the new buffer stop position.

Provision of newly painted yellow marker at the new stopping positions.

Repositioning of existing TRTS/RA/CD and Lockout control units and associated
lineside telephones positioned at the buffer stop end of Platforms 2 and 3.

Repositioning of existing TPWS equipment to reflect new position of the buffer stop
and platform extension.

Repositioning of existing axle counter head within the platform footprint.

Extension to existing overhead line system to new buffer stop position.

At this stage all routes bars associated with the project works will be removed.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks for posting that, d9009alycidon.
Interesting to be reminded that platform 2 is shorter and that accommodation for 8 coach trains will be a bit tight next week.

Trust I may be forgiven for posting this photo again (it was in the Scotrail Class 385 Discussion thread yesterday) - a 7 coach 385 in platform 7 showing the space left in the platform:

3F689539-1274-4310-8485-031A3677325B.jpeg

So next week, the announced 8 coach 385s will only fit in platforms 3 and 7.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Here’s another photo from yesterday - the end of platforms 2 and 3 with the buffer stops still under construction - which gives us a first (if incomplete) glimpse of the view that passengers will have when the new concourse is finished:

21DB6290-6740-4881-832C-D13FF003C544.jpeg

d9009alycidon

Here’s another photo from yesterday - the end of platforms 2 and 3 with the buffer stops still under construction - which gives us a first (if incomplete) glimpse of the view that passengers will have when the new concourse is finished:

View attachment 66172

Would I be correct in saying that the grey posts and beams will support the frangible decking mentioned in the WON?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
So I believe.
EDIT: Thanks Highlandspring, didn’t see your post till after mine).

For a while a thought the “E” shaped concrete base was for the bufferstops but they will be further in (north). I lost my point of reference with the sheeted end wall (where the pub was) being moved in and out

The OHLE terminal posts are just past the temporary bridge going across p 2/3 tracks.

60188FE4-BBF5-4851-9E80-28519C820502.jpeg

Last edited:

d9009alycidon

I have heard that there will be a pause between completing the extension works on platforms 2 and 3 and starting 4 and 5 until after the Edinburgh Festival, so September has been suggested as the start date for 4/5

Status
Not open for further replies.