• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carntyne

I'm starting to become concerned that despite all this work we're not actually going to see a huge increase in circulating space on the concourse side of the gates. I know that things are very tight at the moment but it just seems like we're still going to have a very crowded station. If they're going to persist with the idea of the dateline then they need to change their policy for announcing platforms as it seems like this will be one of the few ways of dealing with what I fear will be inadequate circulating space.
From what I hear it's doubling in size.

alangla

To give the cleaners a clear, quick run through every train. Trying to clean a train while passengers are getting on is nigh on impossible. Hitachi fitters also doing checks during turnaround and need access to areas of the train.
Do they split 385 rakes in service at GLQ? I remember there used to be an arrival from Edinburgh that was booked 6x170 due to arrive about 1825 but invariably late, that had to come in, unload, split, reload (in reality the split was during loading IIRC, doors closed then reopened) then leave at 1830 to Edinburgh and 1840 to Aberdeen. The regulars all knew about it so waited on the platform for it arriving even though it wasn’t on the board until it was in & unloading. The Aberdeen portion appeared on the board only when the Edinburgh had left

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Here’s a photo from yesterday showing the new (left) and the present (right) departure boards. (Another clue is that the ones which are lit up are the ones in use ;) ).

6C910960-B1DD-4756-B0F6-9A40465D4D52.jpeg

Also a screenshot from the NetworkRailGQS Twitter video referred to above – this video was evidently taken before any of the new departure board panels were fitted, but it might give a better idea of the height they have been mounted. View is from near the top of the ramp (i.e. in the closed off area).

FF34B4A1-1863-4E1A-9E9C-7E02CDD18CDF.jpeg

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Do they split 385 rakes in service at GLQ? I remember there used to be an arrival from Edinburgh that was booked 6x170 due to arrive about 1825 but invariably late, that had to come in, unload, split, reload (in reality the split was during loading IIRC, doors closed then reopened) then leave at 1830 to Edinburgh and 1840 to Aberdeen. The regulars all knew about it so waited on the platform for it arriving even though it wasn’t on the board until it was in & unloading. The Aberdeen portion appeared on the board only when the Edinburgh had left

I doubt that there will be a 385 service to Aberdeen at present. The neutral section is a bit too long. ;)

More seriously, I have not seen a 385 split at GLQ though that doesn’t mean it can’t be happening.

takno

Established Member
Not sure they're splitting them at all are they? I certainly haven't been on one that wasn't a double since they came in, although that might have changed now that they are 8 instead of 7

Established Member
And the 1830 to Edinburgh was the first one that cheap tickets were valid on, so was absolutely packed as well as the splitting farce. It used to be a train to avoid if at all possible. The 1800 always had six but was full price - so you could generally get a table of four all to yourself.

Thank God for electrification.

scotraildriver

Established Member
There are a few splits later in the evening and half the train goes to the depot.

Last edited:

scotraildriver

Established Member
The only ones that split are the peak 6 car Alloa/Dunblane which split on return to Queen St and one set goes to Eastfield. One other splits at Stirling. All E& G services run 8 car all day. The rather protracted splitting procedure for 385s pretty much precludes it anyway.

Speed43125

The only ones that split are the peak 6 car Alloa/Dunblane which split on return to Queen St and one set goes to Eastfield. One other splits at Stirling. All E& G services run 8 car all day. The rather protracted splitting procedure for 385s pretty much precludes it anyway.
The Stirling split is always a mess, Stirling is small and provincial enough and has few enough splits for no-one to know what's happening, add to that train displays that say 'Alloa' on all 6 carriages and a rather complex splitting procedure, it's common for even the dunblane train (the rear 3-coaches) to be late departing.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Update 46 in post production; fairly tedious but will have some night time views.

Meanwhile this article on the visibility of the train shed roof is worth a read. Some interesting history of the station there as background before the question of the roof is addressed. Here’s a short extract:

The train shed’s relationship to Glasgow has always been accidental: its position was determined by the spatial constraints and topography of its site not the desire to create a formal relationship to the city grid. Nor was the gable designed to be seen – it lacks the decoration typical of its era. (Compare it to St Enoch Station’s east gable, demolished in the 1970s. Even though it looked towards the approaching tracks it was perhaps the most beautifully engineered window Glasgow ever had: a fanlight supported by radiating tensioned cables and adorned by a filigree of ironwork.) Cities are, however, full of happy accidental relationships between buildings that enrich the urban experience. BDP’s early studies sought to understand what was desirable and what was possible.

Image courtesy of Forte Engineering Ltd on Twitter.

Looks much better with the white text. According to @NetworkRailGQS there are 12 screens replacing the previous 8 and using 30% less power. And the old ones to be removed later this week.

https://twitter.com/MWiszcz/status/1224795609313546241?s=20

EP9FQRzW4AAxP3T

There's a short video on @NetworkRailGQS as well. Unfortunately, I can't imbed it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1224764460604280834

takno

Established Member
Image courtesy of Forte Engineering Ltd on Twitter.

Looks much better with the white text. According to @NetworkRailGQS there are 12 screens replacing the previous 8 and using 30% less power. And the old ones to be removed later this week.

https://twitter.com/MWiszcz/status/1224795609313546241?s=20

EP9FQRzW4AAxP3T

There's a short video on @NetworkRailGQS as well. Unfortunately, I can't imbed it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1224764460604280834
I like that they have a single massive monitor telling you the time of the next train to Falkirk

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Just me that thinks these look a tad *too* high up... Text also seems a little bit small.

Ideally they should've been similar size of the old ones.

InOban

Established Member
I must admit that I am impressed by the speed at which they were brought into operation after delivery and installation.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Having just been through Queen St this morning they work well when seen “in the flesh”. I’d thought from images here you’d be craning your neck to see but that’s not the feeling I got on the ground this morning.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Having just been through Queen St this morning they work well when seen “in the flesh”. I’d thought from images here you’d be craning your neck to see but that’s not the feeling I got on the ground this morning.
If you were on the ground you could just look up without craning your neck.

snookertam

It is a bit high but bear in mind that only the front half of the concourse is available at the moment. Will look better when the station is open fully.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Update 46 released and totally out of date already :lol:, but fear not I have Update 47 nearly ready too. :rolleyes: Zzzz

Update 46 was filmed at the end of January, so the new Departure Board, sorry Customer Information Screens are there but not in operation. Also since it was filmed, another section of the concourse, west of the TVMs, has been opened up and the access to Platform 8 has changed yet again. There's a few things I have held back so that #NetworkRailGQS can get their fotos out phirst, but I won't wait so long this time.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
People seem not to be having too much bother with the new screens’ height or font size, and I do like this bit:

BDAF1B26-0DDB-44C5-9148-1B35D1C1A3EB.jpeg

Update 46 released and totally out of date already :lol:, but fear not I have Update 47 nearly ready too. :rolleyes: Zzzz

Update 46 was filmed at the end of January, so the new Departure Board, sorry Customer Information Screens are there but not in operation. Also since it was filmed, another section of the concourse, west of the TVMs, has been opened up and the access to Platform 8 has changed yet again. There's a few things I have held back so that #NetworkRailGQS can get their fotos out phirst, but I won't wait so long this time.

Another excellent update @PaxVobiscum. Looking forward to seeing update 47.

hwl

Established Member
People seem not to be having too much bother with the new screens’ height or font size, and I do like this bit:

View attachment 73502
Surprising how few copies of the Gatwick Express departure board methodology have been made given how well it works for limited stop expresses. At Victoria since the 80s, originally in Solari flapper board format for 2 decades before moving to LED for the last 2. It ideally needs a different colour vinyl surround for the board to draw the eye so it can easily be identified and read on the move.

Highland37

Established Member
I do think the screens are slightly too high, about about 2 metres maybe, and don't naturally draw the eye. Mind you, the new station will be a vast improvement on the old bit.

och aye

I'll reserve judgement if the screens are too high when the concourse is fully opened.

Thanks for the continued updates @PaxVobiscum

Last edited:

youngac

Passed through the station today. I think the new screens are an improvement, though they contrast heavily with the screens at the platform ends which still have orange writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.