• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carntyne

“Customers are reminded to keep hold of the handrail and take care on the stairs”
There’s a pair of burglar alarm type PIR sensors at the top & bottom of the stairs that activate it. I think it still works as you can hear the speakers make a noise when someone is on the stairs, they’ve just removed the actual announcement recording
There's a white noise sound too, to mask the sound of trains departing (so you don't run down the stairs and fall).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RLBH

There's a white noise sound too, to mask the sound of trains departing (so you don't run down the stairs and fall).
Is that what it's for? I've always wondered, had assumed it was just a broken system that nobody had the budget to fix.

VimtoKid

Some fascinating stuff here.
One thing I've always wondered while waiting for trains at QS LL... I've heard that originally the central platform was functional, serving a couple of extra lines, but how did passengers access this central platform? Was there (or maybe, are there) stairs, maybe in the boxed off area that has the big map of the low level routes?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Some fascinating stuff here.
One thing I've always wondered while waiting for trains at QS LL... I've heard that originally the central platform was functional, serving a couple of extra lines, but how did passengers access this central platform? Was there (or maybe, are there) stairs, maybe in the boxed off area that has the big map of the low level routes?

I don’t know (can’t remember) how it was done before the North bank electrification, but I suspect that if there is still any sort of stairway/ladder access it will be from inside the area between the lifts alongside Platform 7:
50CB15AE-6C98-4877-BA5B-EDF9C8440731.jpeg

I keep meaning to check when I’m on the LL Platforms if the “boxed area” on the old island platform is aligned with the lifts on P8 and 9. One of these days I’ll remember.

d9009alycidon

I cant remember where I got this old drawing but it shows the stairways to the cental platform at each side of the station. The eastern one would have been obliterated when platforms 6 and 7 were created in the mid 1970s
post-20159-0-69580400-1438110751.jpg

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Gold cladding now being applied underneath the overhanging roof of the south façade.

I had another tour today in the company of author and railway historian Ann Glen, who is writing a book about Queen Street station. Update 43 will be forthcoming soon but there’s a lot of work to do before I bore everyone with it.

NorthClyde320

The 8.30 GLQ-EDB is a 7 car departing from platform 5, always used to the main EDB service departing from platforms 3, 4 & 7, good to see the benefits of the extended platforms. Platforms 6 & 7 look to be closed this morning.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Queen Street is a much more pleasant place now. Looks like they are doing some work on the Buchanan Street side with some grey cladding starting to appear.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Just waiting on clearance from Network Rail (expected sometime today) to release Update 43 which has a tour of most of the site on 12th November. It's out of date already as there's been quite a lot of progress since.

Queen Street is a much more pleasant place now. Looks like they are doing some work on the Buchanan Street side with some grey cladding starting to appear.

Here's a few photos from today:

dundas_st.JPG

concourse.JPG

w_george_st.JPG

Scotrail314209

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Its really starting to take shape now, but what bugs me is the fact that the glass panels are all different sizes, and aren't even.
Architects, eh! I don’t like it either, maybe it simulates putting a kit together without following the instructions...

RLBH

It looks like when you try to build a LEGO set, but you are missing pieces so you need to use other parts.
In the case of LEGO (or shell structures) it's usually deliberate as it means joints are staggered and you don't line up weaknesses. As I highly doubt the glass is loadbearing, the architect must have had a Bright Idea.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Its really starting to take shape now, but what bugs me is the fact that the glass panels are all different sizes, and aren't even.

Architects, eh! I don’t like it either, maybe it simulates putting a kit together without following the instructions...

I am not an architect but as a Planner I can see what they’re doing here.

If you start with a perfect rectangle then you can have identical panels if you wish.

If you start with a non regular shape then either you have irregular panels at the edges or you make the shape work throughout by using a pattern.

The glass frontage at Queen St slopes downwards to the west reflecting where the ramped walkway is.

The pattern of the glass panels reflects this with a stepping down pattern eastwards created right across the frontage. This allows the shape of the ramp to be shown right across the frontage rather than just some squint panels in the bottom corner at the east side.

It’s a stylistic choice but if you’re not working with a perfect rectangle you have to have irregularity somewhere.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I am not an architect but as a Planner I can see what they’re doing here.

If you start with a perfect rectangle then you can have identical panels if you wish.

If you start with a non regular shape then either you have irregular panels at the edges or you make the shape work throughout by using a pattern.

The glass frontage at Queen St slopes downwards to the west reflecting where the ramped walkway is.

The pattern of the glass panels reflects this with a stepping down pattern eastwards created right across the frontage. This allows the shape of the ramp to be shown right across the frontage rather than just some squint panels in the bottom corner at the east side.

It’s a stylistic choice but if you’re not working with a perfect rectangle you have to have irregularity somewhere.
Thanks for the explanation, maybe it will look alright from a different viewpoint.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Thanks for the explanation, maybe it will look alright from a different viewpoint.

In the pictures above (especially the last one) you can’t quite see the slope I’m talking about as it’s hidden behind the hoardings.

I think once the hoardings are down and you see the slope the reason for the stepped down pattern becomes more obvious and perhaps looks slightly better. Still a matter of personal taste though obviously.

Certainly frontage is looking much cleaner now most of the white dots are gone.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Here we go, people at NR are too busy building and maintaining railways to sit and watch boring videos in work time ;)

Oops, sorry, forgot to allow embedding there! Fixed now.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
With all the works at Queen Street picking up pace, when are we likely to see it all completed?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I don’t know the answer to that, and I have still to encounter anyone who does. :lol:
The best answer you are going to get at the moment is “Spring 2020”.

The original “proof of concept” to refurbish the station while keeping it operational necessitated producing a detailed scheme of works for delivery over 154 weeks.
(https://www.railengineer.uk/2019/01/31/glasgow-queen-street-station-half-transformed/)

I believe they have managed to adhere to this pretty well (with some minor variations caused by weather, ‘events’ and some changes to the plans). Some phases have been completed ahead of schedule.

We are currently in Week 138; Week ending 22nd March 2020 (the end of week 154) was the original notional date for completion.

Another aspect is that there is no particular need for absolutely everything to be ready at once – certain, err, enhancements which were not in the original plans could quite reasonably open a short while after the main facilities.

Just my opinion, I do not and cannot speak for any organisation or company.

kilonewton

I don’t know the answer to that, and I have still to encounter anyone who does. :lol:
The best answer you are going to get at the moment is “Spring 2020”.

The original “proof of concept” to refurbish the station while keeping it operational necessitated producing a detailed scheme of works for delivery over 154 weeks.
(https://www.railengineer.uk/2019/01/31/glasgow-queen-street-station-half-transformed/)

I believe they have managed to adhere to this pretty well (with some minor variations caused by weather, ‘events’ and some changes to the plans). Some phases have been completed ahead of schedule.

We are currently in Week 138; Week ending 22nd March 2020 (the end of week 154) was the original notional date for completion.

“...minor variations...” is an interesting way to put it!
I think it’s been a good example of Network Rail, the Contractor (Balfour Beatty) and the unions working together to react to change. One example, originally the buildings on platform 2 couldn’t be demolished until the new staff accomodation was completed in the old car park. The thinking being that the staff would have preferred one move into permanent accommodation rather than moving in and out of temporary buildings. But this would mean that the platform 1 extension would not have been completed in time for one of the timetable changes. So agreements were made with the relevant unions to move into the temporary buildings. As it happened, the new building was never completed as designed due to Buchanan Galleries changing their mind as to what they wanted.

clc

Established Member
As it happened, the new building was never completed as designed due to Buchanan Galleries changing their mind as to what they wanted.

They started to erect the steelwork for the new building when the Scottish Govt decided it would reduce the development potential of the car park site. The new plan is to build a huge office block on top of new station retail units.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Another dreich day in Glasgow and another tedious Update (44). No special access this time, though I hope to get behind the scenes again soon. It's changing fast now, with more of the finishing on walls etc. about to appear. Only 4' 51" of your life wasted this time if you watch it :lol:.

najaB

Veteran Member
Only 4' 51" of your life wasted this time if you watch it :lol:.
Thanks very much for making these. It's amazing to see how much things have improved when you compare the earliest update to this (and the station's looking a lot better too!) :D

Seriously though, real quality work you're doing (and kudos to the seagull as well).

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks very much for making these. It's amazing to see how much things have improved when you compare the earliest update to this (and the station's looking a lot better too!) :D

Thank you kind Sir! True words even if said in jest. It was extremely challenging in the early days (not all that long after mobile phones became capable of taking a tolerable vIdeo) to achieve acceptable results. I do believe the updates have become a little less wobbly over time with fewer shots being spoiled by an uncommanded silly hunt o_O (for focus, exposure or white balance ;)).

ld0595

Just like to echo najaB's comment - really appreciate the updates! Despite living in Glasgow myself, I'm rarely around Queen Street unless connecting between low and high level. Even just seeing it from the seagull's perspective is very interesting!

Did I hear you were going to film Levenmouth next? :D

cf111

Established Member
Another thank you from me @PaxVobiscum. I do keep an eye out for a seagull carrying a camera when I'm going through GLQ but I've yet to spot him! Very good narration as well, auld Attenborough should be checking over his shoulder!

Status
Not open for further replies.