• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
The Grenfell cladding was external insulation to keep the building warm with a rainscreen on top. For a building like Queen Street there's not an enormous amount of point having much insulation as the 'inside' is just an elements-protected 'outside'. I'm sure the individual accommodation blocks within are insulated appropriately but they're fairly small.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Its also worth noting that the Building Control regime in Scotland has trodden a very different path to that of England on matters such as this.

scotraildriver

Established Member
Doors and signage now complete at George Square entrance and contractors battling a large BR logo sticker! IMG_20200721_173211.jpgIMG_20200721_173126.jpg

ScottDarg

InOban

Established Member
I thought that the name was to be larger and 2/3 way up the glazing. And the double arrow should be alongside the name.

mde

Hats off to the journalist at the Glasgow Times (formerly Evening Times) who thinks the signage is multi-coloured, describing it as "bold white writing with shapes in baby blue within the letters' frames" - clearly they are unaware of the fact that it is protective film!

Image shows a headline from the Glasgow Times Images of Glasgow Queen Street Station's colourful new sign unveiled as works continue, followed by an image of the station at street level showing lettering which has white and blue protective film over the letters.

Image description: Image shows a headline from the Glasgow Times "Images of Glasgow Queen Street Station's colourful new sign unveiled as works continue", followed by an image of the station at street level showing lettering which has white and blue protective film over the letters.

Glasgow Times said:
Images of Glasgow Queen Street Station's colourful new sign unveiled as works continue

By Ruth Suter @RuthSuter_Multimedia Journalist

Network Rail have released images of Glasgow Queen Street Station's new, colourful sign as it was mounted on the building today.

'Glasgow Queen Street' has appeared in bold white writing with shapes in baby blue within the letters' frames.

Works at the station restarted last month after a three-month pause due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Hello Glasgow! #GQS pic.twitter.com/feQBBHnorL

— Network Rail GQS (@NetworkRailGQS) July 21, 2020
The continued activity focuses on developing the fit-out of the staff management suite inside the station, a Travel Shop and basement area.

A new entrance at the corner of George Street is also being developed and opened up as part of the resumed works.

Michael Matheson, Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity, previously said: “Efforts across Scotland’s Railway, from frontline staff running day to day services to those in planning and maintenance roles behind the scenes, have played a fundamental part in ensuring key workers are able to get to where they are needed during this pandemic.

“While many non-essential projects were rightfully paused, our continued investment in maintaining vital rail infrastructure has given reassurance at a difficult time.

"As we now make the transition through the Routemap to Recovery, it is important we step up work where we can. This will enable us safely to resume key projects such as the new Kintore station and Queen Street station improvements, bringing investment at a time when the supply chain and its workers need it most.

“I look forward to seeing these significant projects make progress because their completion will bring benefits to passengers, workers and the economy alike.”

marks87

Established Member
Is that the final sign?

It looks like someone has left blue packing tape on it. Maybe the photo isn’t doing it justice.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the point is it's a film that is left on the sign to protect against scratches during installation, and it will be removed once everything is complete.

marks87

Established Member
I think the point is it's a film that is left on the sign to protect against scratches during installation, and it will be removed once everything is complete.

I did wonder, because on one hand that is what it looks like...but on the other, it could easily have been one of those "funky" designs that appear all too often these days.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Haircuts

Whereas I have been happy to let my dear wife cut my hair (such as it is) during the recent hostilities, PVJunior must have his done by qualified experts and has waited impatiently until this afternoon to have his mane attended to at an eyewateringly expensive establishment in central Glasgow.

Having innocently offered to run him in by car (changed days), the question arose as to how I should put it the 40 or so minutes I had to wait for him to be finished...

Update 49, filmed by permission of the GLQ Duty Manager, will be forthcoming shortly.

Many, many thanks to scotraildriver and ScottDarg for their contributions during the period of my enforced absence.

scotraildriver

Established Member
I did wonder, because on one hand that is what it looks like...but on the other, it could easily have been one of those "funky" designs that appear all too often these days.
I had a close look today. It is most definitely protective film. It's the name of the manufacturer all over it.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Sorry for the delay – took longer than I thought to check dates for openings etc. Uploading now but over BT copper at the usual weekend snail’s pace.
Don’t get too excited – it’s not that good anyway. Best bit is the “Spot the seagull” having a wee practice flight near the end.

InOban

Established Member
Excellent stuff. I was wondering about the survival of the seagull without all the scraps of food from the passers by!
Is there an estimate for the opening of the front entrance?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks, InOban.

I couldn’t get that one to embed the way the previous Updates did – speaking of which, the links seems to have disappeared on my previous posts - viewed on my phone anyway. What gives?

ScottDarg

Good to see you back out and about PaxVobiscum! :) Good to see they've completed the signage attached to the travel shop area - when I was in earlier in the week it was still just half of the "Tickets" sign up and the Travel Shop sign itself was nowhere to be seen.

More lettering appearing this weekend - this time above the West George St entrance which was closed at 1pm today until opening tomorrow morning:
Ed3chk3WAAAb0rz

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Good to see you back out and about PaxVobiscum! :) Good to see they've completed the signage attached to the travel shop area - when I was in earlier in the week it was still just half of the "Tickets" sign up and the Travel Shop sign itself was nowhere to be seen.
Thanks, ScottDarg.

:lol: Just half of the letters being up makes me think of Benny Hill sketches of yesteryear involving missing letters:
Ti...ts:lol: (Sorry, Mods)

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
Don’t get too excited – it’s not that good anyway. Best bit is the “Spot the seagull” having a wee practice flight near the end.
Thanks very much for that. It's looking less like a dump and more like the station that Glasgow deserves!

ScottDarg

West George St entrance closed this morning to allow the BR Double Arrow stickers to be applied to the windows above.

Dundas St entrance to be closed later today for work to be done there.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks for that, ScottDarg.

Not entirely unrelated to the above, my dear wife has a hair appointment in the city centre on Friday. I’ll need to find something to do while I’m waiting for her. :lol:

InOban

Established Member
ScotRail have tweeted a pic of the W. George Street entrance with its new double arrows.

och aye

Thanks for that, ScottDarg.

Not entirely unrelated to the above, my dear wife has a hair appointment in the city centre on Friday. I’ll need to find something to do while I’m waiting for her. :lol:
Will Jonathan the seagull be getting an outing too? :E

ScottDarg

West George St entrance closed this morning to allow the BR Double Arrow stickers to be applied to the windows above.

Dundas St entrance to be closed later today for work to be done there.

Follow up;

The Dundas St entrance has been given the same treatment as the George Sq and West George St entrances with signage on the canopy and a double arrow on the windows - should be no confusion about where Queen St station is now!

Status
Not open for further replies.