• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

Can you tell me if there are any train information displays at a low level please, looking at the video this does not seem to be the case.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Can you tell me if there are any train information displays at a low level please, looking at the video this does not seem to be the case.
It depends on what you mean by “low” :)
There’s a new one at the temporary entrance to platform 9
2C71EA86-6303-409C-95E8-F0E3FB46F170.jpeg
and also at the new low level barriers.

EDIT: Here’s the display at the new low level barriers being installed (from Update 48)
5A0E4F29-9F26-481D-89AA-69ABF39B73E9.jpeg

Last edited:

eoff

Thanks, sorry can't be specific as I mean low enough for people to read that can't read signs/displays that are either too high or too small.This is obviously different for individuals but many stations have got worse rather than better. By comparison as OK (just) I would mean the central display in Haymarket past the ticket barries and the booking office display in Waverley (although that might be gone now).

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
There’s a lower one in the waiting lounge but it’s not open yet as far as I know (though @NetworkRailGQS are not really announcing much at the moment).
82BCCB65-2260-444B-8E1D-258857A8905C.jpeg

Last edited:

ScottDarg

There’s a lower one in the waiting lounge but it’s not open yet as far as I know (though #NetworkRailGQS are not really announcing much at the moment).
View attachment 82625

Was still closed on Friday but looked complete. Will have another wander round tomorrow.

On the topic of announcements; they've just put out that the Dundas St entrance will be closed from tonight / tomorrow (Monday 24/08) through to next Monday the 31st:
Our Dundas Street entrance will close at the end of service tonight, while we carry out more works to complete the entrance. It’ll reopen next Monday (31 August).

Please use our West George Street or George Square entrances in the meantime. #GQS @ScotRail

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding the webpage and the Twitter updates from Network Rail, I have noticed that they are using GQS to refer to Glasgow Queen Street. I believe that the three letter code for Glasgow Queen Street is actually GLQ, which was created by the very exact same organisation.

I am aware that it is a long standing rule on this forum that the proper three letter codes are to be used for stations once it has been explained what it means. Should Network Rail have used the proper three letter code of GLQ when referring to the progress of the works?

mcmad

Given twitter is character limited in messages then abbreviating Glasgow Queen Street to GQS makes sense, its not pretending to be the internal station code which is what causes the anguish on here so don;t see an issue to be honest.

If their twitter handle was Network Rail GLQ they'd get more enquires about the name than anything else.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Regarding the webpage and the Twitter updates from Network Rail, I have noticed that they are using GQS to refer to Glasgow Queen Street. I believe that the three letter code for Glasgow Queen Street is actually GLQ, which was created by the very exact same organisation.

The “GLQ” acronym was created about 3 decades before Network Rail existed.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Given twitter is character limited in messages then abbreviating Glasgow Queen Street to GQS makes sense, its not pretending to be the internal station code which is what causes the anguish on here so don;t see an issue to be honest.

If their twitter handle was Network Rail GLQ they'd get more enquires about the name than anything else.

Thank you! That is the reply I should have given (and nearly did, almost verbatim :) ). Given the tendency for individuals on Twitter to voice opinions on matters on which they are sadly ill-informed, misinformed or that they clearly (and I can only conclude sometimes wilfully) fail to understand, I am certain the last paragraph highlights the key issue.

I was reluctant at first to use the #GQS hashtag but that’s how Twitter works.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I mean half the reason for the "correct codes only" rule was because people kept using "BNS" when they meant Birmingham New Street. There's no "GQS" in the station codes, so there's no other station here to confuse it with.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Looks like the completion of the Dundas Street entrance has gone to plan with it due to reopen tomorrow morning, as the SW entrance at the corner of West George Street and Dundas Street is closing tonight for its completion:
Our West George Street corner entrance will close tonight at the end of service until Monday 7 September. We’ll be carrying out work to complete the entrance area.

While it’s closed, please use our Dundas Street or George Square entrances.

As I’m not likely to be there for a bit, I extend the usual invitation for anyone who is working there or passing through to take some photos :). I suspect at least some of the @NetworkRailGQS team are working from home and can’t just nip along from George House and grab a photo as of old.

I will be getting the seagull back on the job before too long.

ScottDarg

As I’m not likely to be there for a bit, I extend the usual invitation for anyone who is working there or passing through to take some photos :). I suspect at least some of the @NetworkRailGQS team are working from home and can’t just nip along from George House and grab a photo as of old.

Had a wander through today. Not immediately obvious what work they're doing. I can only assume it's the permanent flooring at the doors rather than the temporary feeling red stuff?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
They are washing the windaes today:
EA426771-8165-4B37-BCE3-7E1748020F26.jpeg

The seagull will put in a full report in due course. He was lucky enough to be able to squawk (masked and at a safe distance) to a little birdie in the know who let him have a little glide round the (publicly accessible) areas of interest.

Another of the areas of interest at my age is shown below, and you may wish to reflect on the fact that it is currently free of charge.
6D743A56-4855-43D5-802D-7FADCB24A03C.jpeg

InOban

Established Member
The street outside at the front will be closed next Sunday for resurfacing. I dare say it would have been damaged by the construction traffic.

scotraildriver

Established Member
The windae washing has made a huge difference, especially at night. Shame the BR logo is unlit though. IMG_20200910_210705.jpg

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Idea for 9 minutes of party weekend fun:

Put your phone at the bottom of the garden, evenly space no more than 5 masked friends (with binoculars and who live together) at minimum 2m distances around you in the rain and show this latest Update for GLQ. No singing along and please disperse when requested. Self isolate for 14 days if you show any symptoms of boredom.

#GQS Update 50

You might find some tiny nuggets of information, but as #NetworkRailGQS have started posting again, I’ll let them announce specific dates for what’s happening when should they wish to do so.

applepie2100

Thanks for another most informative update!

On the high level side of things at least it seems that Queen Street is finally becoming a station fit for the 21st century. I have to admit that I'm struggling a little to visualize how the ticket office (I refuse to call it a "travel shop") windows will work and I'm not sure about the idea of keeping the pop-up retail units on the concourse. Time will tell though.

Lets hope that at some point in the future the low level side of the station gets some much needed love!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
... I have to admit that I'm struggling a little to visualize how the ticket office (I refuse to call it a "travel shop") windows will work and I'm not sure about the idea of keeping the pop-up retail units on the concourse. Time will tell though.
It looks to me as though there’ll be no traditional ticket windows. Just the TVMs in a room. Perhaps there’ll be some sort of small staff operated machine at their positions out “on the floor”, or they’ll just assist people at the TVMs?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I think the idea at the site drawings stage must have been to have a sort of “open plan” facility; however the Dreaded Virus has put paid to that and screens will have to be fitted.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Shame the 1st class lounge has been removed from the design.

From your conversations did you get the impression this was a temporary Covid change and it could come back later or a permanent change?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
My understanding is that the space will be now be used for another purpose, but I imagine it could be converted to a First Class Lounge at some point in the future.
I gather it was (Abellio) ScotRail who were pushing for a FC Lounge but since it was announced they were to lose the franchise in March 2021 2022 that did undermine the case somewhat, and the Covid curse seems to have put the proverbial tin hat on it.

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Does anyone know what's going to happen with retail? Wasn't one of the original plans for there to be new retail outlets to replace the ones that were lost when they began the refurbishment work.

It'd be a shame if there is no retail outlets as a modern station which is being pushed as a hub doesn't have anything at all. Prior to refurbishment I believe it was a Wetherspoons just outside, a Burger King, a Costa and a Bonapartes.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Yes. ;)

As much as I am prepared to to reveal is in Update 50 above. Unwise to name names yet - it has already changed and may do so again. (Perhaps different wrong information is given to different people to see who leaks things to Mr Dalton - not me! :lol:)

scotraildriver

Established Member
Does anyone know what's going to happen with retail? Wasn't one of the original plans for there to be new retail outlets to replace the ones that were lost when they began the refurbishment work.

It'd be a shame if there is no retail outlets as a modern station which is being pushed as a hub doesn't have anything at all. Prior to refurbishment I believe it was a Wetherspoons just outside, a Burger King, a Costa and a Bonapartes.
Don't forget the insanely overpriced WHSmith! No station or airport would be complete without such a wallet lightening establishment!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I miss the Bonapartes in Central Station as well. A leisurely pint or two on the balcony watching the bustle and trains was an agreeable inactivity. A window seat in the Queen Street one was OK too.

eoff

Don't forget the insanely overpriced WHSmith! No station or airport would be complete without such a wallet lightening establishment!

Station WH Smith prices cured me of the temptation of a chocolate-based snack on the way home a long time ago. That and Cadbury reducing pack sizes.

alangla

I miss the Bonapartes in Central Station as well. A leisurely pint or two on the balcony watching the bustle and trains was an agreeable inactivity. A window seat in the Queen Street one was OK too.
It’s the Central Bar I miss. Cheap beer with a bite card, pool table & usually football on the TV. Decent enough view of the trains through what used to be the departure board windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.