• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
It’s the Central Bar I miss. Cheap beer with a bite card, pool table & usually football on the TV. Decent enough view of the trains through what used to be the departure board windows.

Oh yes, remember having a pint in there. Must be closed a while now. I sure i heard plans Wetherpoons were going in there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rick1984

Station WH Smith prices cured me of the temptation of a chocolate-based snack on the way home a long time ago. That and Cadbury reducing pack sizes.
Not as bad as Whistlestop, their prices are criminal!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I wonder if there’s anything noticeably different at Dundas Street today? It was hoped the hoardings would be away by today.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Hoardings are down. The pavement along the front of the station has also re-opened:
View attachment 83846
Thanks again, ScottDarg! I was just about to press send on a post saying much the same, info thanks to another member, when I saw your post.

Mini me is muttering about getting a haircut while it’s still allowed, so I might have to run him in to town soon and find something to do while I’m waiting ;).

Rick1984

The areas surrounding the station need a resurfacing as they look a mess beside nice new shiny station

ScottDarg

The advertising screens have now been installed either side of the departure boards and have been turned on. Images below (can be seen turned on through the windows in the second pic):
https://twitter.com/GlasgowWEToday/status/1309165866806898689?s=20
1601402789160.png

https://twitter.com/NetworkRailGQS/status/1311003024911929350?s=20
EjGeTA1XcAAB-LC

haggishunter

Don't really understand why they moved the ticket vending machines off the main concourse, unless I'm missing something there is also far fewer of them. Surely under current circumstances having them in the concourse where there is more space and having more machines so there is less queuing would be better?

gingertom

Established Member
Don't really understand why they moved the ticket vending machines off the main concourse, unless I'm missing something there is also far fewer of them. Surely under current circumstances having them in the concourse where there is more space and having more machines so there is less queuing would be better?
I think we are being encouraged to use e-tickets on our smartphones.

haggishunter

Well for ScotRail buying a ticket at a vending machine is the only way to reliably get a ticket on a smart card at short notice. In app purchases can’t be reliably added to a card quickly even if you use your phone to update the card and several years after being told it would be fixed soon the cards still can’t deal with ‘Tyndrum Stations’!

The whole project really should just be canned, it’s farcical and pointless if you have to buy your smart ticket hours before your need to load it.

gingertom

Established Member
Well for ScotRail buying a ticket at a vending machine is the only way to reliably get a ticket on a smart card at short notice. In app purchases can’t be reliably added to a card quickly even if you use your phone to update the card and several years after being told it would be fixed soon the cards still can’t deal with ‘Tyndrum Stations’!

The whole project really should just be canned, it’s farcical and pointless if you have to buy your smart ticket hours before your need to load it.
I recently had to make a necessary journey, the staff at my local station couldn't load it onto my smartcard as the at would have meant handling it. Paper ticket it had to be.

najaB

Veteran Member
I recently had to make a necessary journey, the staff at my local station couldn't load it onto my smartcard as the at would have meant handling it. Paper ticket it had to be.
Interesting. I got a ticket loaded onto my smartcard by station staff back at the beginning of August.

Voyager lad

I have had many similar experiences, albeit before lockdown. Many guards and ticket examiners would just look at it and say it’s fine without checking, with one even telling me they don’t bother checking as they don’t know how to (happened around December). When purchasing tickets on them, even at ticket machines, I’ve had so many issues including being double charged or the ticket not even going on to the card. ScotRail are usually good at helping, but when they take £20-30 more than they should and you’re waiting weeks to get it back, it’s far from ideal.

route101

Established Member
I have a Scotrail Smartcard but never use it, bit pointless loading a ticket onto it. There appears to be some cheaper fares though.

Scotrail12

The stairs to Platform 9 (Low Level Eastbound) have reopened. Sadly, the very irritating "please hold the handrail and take care on the stairs" announcement has returned with it - I thought we were finally rid of it for good.

The station is shaping up to look really nice.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
The stairs to Platform 9 (Low Level Eastbound) have reopened. Sadly, the very irritating "please hold the handrail and take care on the stairs" announcement has returned with it - I thought we were finally rid of it for good.

The station is shaping up to look really nice.

Oh dear. That announcement does get annoying..

Established Member
No, surely not the dystopian Glaswegian male voice that sounds like someone from the office did it in their lunch break? I can't believe that they've brought that back in the all new Queen Street.

Spend a bit of money on Fletcher Mathers please...

Scotrail12

No, surely not the dystopian Glaswegian male voice that sounds like someone from the office did it in their lunch break? I can't believe that they've brought that back in the all new Queen Street.

Spend a bit of money on Fletcher Mathers please...
It's a female voice though not Fletcher. Might be the new station announcers that they've rolled out in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire stations in the last year.

I remember there was once a male voice on the North Hanover Street entrance about 10-12 years ago. I was always scared of his announcements when I was a kid.

Is that announcement working on all the stairscases? I remember there was one that had a corrupt sound file and just played static for about 10 seconds when it detected someone was on the stairs.

applepie2100

Is that announcement working on all the stairscases? I remember there was one that had a corrupt sound file and just played static for about 10 seconds when it detected someone was on the stairs.

Just the refurbished one at the moment, although given the current situation it seems like rather firmly telling people to hold on to anything is a bad idea!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Does anyone know what the situation is going to be with retail? Whenever I passed through Queen Street before the lockdown it looked like there wasn’t much provision for shops.

I recall before the rebuild it had some very well used outlets, including a Burger King, Bonapartes and a Costa.

Status
Not open for further replies.