• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffinscot

hi everyone
I'm taking the family to Southampton later this summer. We live in Glasgow.
Ideally because of the long journey time for the kids I'd split the journey overnight in Wolverhampton however I don't think my off-peak return would be valid the next day.
So the ideal is
14.00 (Thursday) Glasgow -Wolverhampton
09.42 (Friday) Wolverhampton - Southampton C

Return a week later on Friday leaving Southampton in mid-morning.

Am I right that I can't use a Thursday dated Glasgow-Southampton off peak return, because the condition is that I complete my journey by 04.29 on Friday.
Any other suggestions that would keep costs down - with the family railcard it looks like just under £280 for the off peak return, I can see a single on the Friday morning for about £60 extra which looks good value if I do need that extra ticket.

Many thanks
Kevin

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 'not via London' off-peak return has no break of journey restrictions.

You may break your journey overnight on the outward portion. You actually have until 0429 on day 3 to complete your outward journey.

puffinscot

Thank you for that quick reply. This sounds very encouraging! Do I need to carry anything to prove I am valid on Day 2?

I ask because I've seen notes that say "...if the journey could not be completed it can be continued the next day."

My journey could be continued but I'm choosing not to. Is that note just poorly worded? Or am I looking at the wrong note?

Thanks again
Kevin

najaB

Veteran Member
Thank you for that quick reply. This sounds very encouraging! Do I need to carry anything to prove I am valid on Day 2?
Yes. Your ticket. Same as on Day 1.

It is for you to determine if you can complete your journey in one day, not the railway.

puffinscot

Hi again
I've noticed I can save on the ferry to Isle of Wight by booking my off peak return to East Cowes. Except the systems won't offer me the 14.00 Glasgow Central to Wolverhampton train doing this (M-F). Just trains around 12 noon then 1600. Does anyone know a trick to force one of the fare engines to show the 1400 so I can book seats on that service? The fare engines on scotrail, South west trains offer me a good fare under £310 for 4 of us (2+2) including railcard (ones like Virgin East Coast offer something nearer £550)
Thank you. Kevin

Romilly

Established Member
I suspect that the £550 fare you are being shown is the fare without the family railcard discount. This is because, even where the journey planners are allowing for an overnight break of outward journey, they are forcing you onto an early-morning train on the second day of the outward journey, i.e. a train at a time when the family railcard is not valid.

John @ home

Established Member
I suspect that the £550 fare you are being shown is ... where the journey planners are ... forcing you onto an early-morning train ... at a time when the family railcard is not valid.
There are no times when a Family & Friends Railcard is not valid for a Glasgow - Southampton journey.
Family & Friends Railcard

Time Restrictions

Your Family & Friends Railcard is NOT valid when travelling between two stations inside London and the South East area during morning peak time.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/travel-times-tickets/

Can I use my Family & Friends Railcard at any time of day?

No. Railcard discounts are available throughout Britain but they are not available on tickets for morning peak period services, for journeys wholly within London & South East Network Railcard area on Mondays to Fridays.

http://www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk/help/faqs/validity/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.