• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow St Enoch Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
I have vague memories of travelling from St Enoch Station on a 126 to Stevenson just weeks before closure. however just thinking about St Enochs I know bthis served the GSW lines to the South, nbut there was also a coinnection North and was wondering what services from St Enochs went North.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matchmaker

Established Member
I'm not sure, but I doubt that any St Enoch services went north. Remember, Buchanan Street was still open (and closed a few months after St Enoch).

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I'm not sure, but I doubt that any St Enoch services went north. Remember, Buchanan Street was still open (and closed a few months after St Enoch).
From memory only a small number of platforms at St Enoch could feed northwards as well as south west - only platforms 1&2 according to RailScot. The route northwards from St Enoch was more important as a through route, as it still is today. Maybe van traffic continued northwards from St Enoch but I am pretty sure no regular passenger trains did, unless perhaps in the very early days when it was part of the City of Glasgow Union Railway.

oldman

The 1895 Bradshaw (on timetableworld.com) shows regular GSWR services from Springburn to St Enoch and from Bridgeton Cross to Bellahouston via St Enoch. They are not in the 1906 timetable.

Helvellyn

Established Member
From memory only a small number of platforms at St Enoch could feed northwards as well as south west - only platforms 1&2 according to RailScot. The route northwards from St Enoch was more important as a through route, as it still is today. Maybe van traffic continued northwards from St Enoch but I am pretty sure no regular passenger trains did, unless perhaps in the very early days when it was part of the City of Glasgow Union Railway.
This overhead image would appear to confirm platforms 1 and 2 only.
33e195c71860f41efb2bc47d0ff2aafd.jpg

https://www.pinterest.de/pin/573012752580800920/

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The old Glasgow Transport Museum in the Kelvin Hall had a scale model of the station, not sure if its still on display in the Riverside Museum.

Albaman

Around 1964/65, a train arrived in Platform 2 which I think was the 0610 from Annan due at 0846 and after the passengers alighted, the loco propelled the ECS onto the " northward " line . On joining the City of Glasgow Union Railway , the train headed south, probably to Bellahouston Carriage Sidings. It may be that other trains undertooka similar movement but this is the only one I can recall.

james73

Around 1964/65, a train arrived in Platform 2 which I think was the 0610 from Annan due at 0846 and after the passengers alighted, the loco propelled the ECS onto the " northward " line . On joining the City of Glasgow Union Railway , the train headed south, probably to Bellahouston Carriage Sidings. It may be that other trains undertooka similar movement but this is the only one I can recall.

26 June 1966 (last day of service...) a class 27 propels it's empty coaches towards Saltmarket Junction.

St-Enoch-26june1966-796fff18cc-oa.jpg

Strathclyder

Established Member
The old Glasgow Transport Museum in the Kelvin Hall had a scale model of the station, not sure if its still on display in the Riverside Museum.
I remember that model from multiple childhood visits to the Kelvin Hall site, don't recall ever seeing it at Riverside on my few visits there. On my next visit (when we're able to safely visit museums again anyway), I'll try and root it out if I can.

That's a goods shed at 11.00 o'clock, is it?
That was a engine shed at the start of it's life (opened 1885) which was latterly repurposed as a goods shed handling milk, fruit and fish (at least that was it's purpose according to the station layout diagram in post #6, whenever it was produced). It's duties as a shed were taken over by a new build facility at Corkerhill fairly early on (1896?) which of course is still in use today. Believe it was also used as a loco stabling point 'til the end of services in June 1966. Was cleared with the rest of the site in the mid/late 70s (attached image dated September 1975 courtesy of the Eastbank Model Railway Club site).

GW0117.jpg

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have we ascertained if there were any timetabled services Northwards out of St. Enoch since maybe the end of the 19th century, apart from empty stock movements and excursions?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I remember that model from multiple childhood visits to the Kelvin Hall site, don't recall ever seeing it at Riverside on my few visits there. On my next visit (when we're able to visit museums again safely anyway), I'll try and root it out if I can.
Same here, and I liked it because it allowed you to visualise the old station. I don't remember seeing it at Riverside but I could easily have missed it.

james73

Have we ascertained if there were any timetabled services Northwards out of St. Enoch since maybe the end of the 19th century, apart from empty stock movements and excursions?

I recall a few years back reading online somewhere about a shuttle service that went St Enoch - Gallowgate - Gallowgate Central - Bridgeton Central, as ridiculously short as that would've been. Cant find it via google though.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Same here, and I liked it because it allowed you to visualise the old station. I don't remember seeing it at Riverside but I could easily have missed it.
Same, I must've overlooked it in favour of something else: either the trams or the trolleybus in my case lol

Will make a point of rooting it out next time I'm there.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member

Post 4 - copied here.
The 1895 Bradshaw (on timetableworld.com) shows regular GSWR services from Springburn to St Enoch and from Bridgeton Cross to Bellahouston via St Enoch. They are not in the 1906 timetable.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I recall a few years back reading online somewhere about a shuttle service that went St Enoch - Gallowgate - Gallowgate Central - Bridgeton Central, as ridiculously short as that would've been. Cant find it via google though.
Passenger service from St. Enoch to Bridgeton and to Bellgrove were withdrawn in October 1902.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Passenger service from St. Enoch to Bridgeton and to Bellgrove were withdrawn in October 1902.
Noting the NB line from High St to Bridgeton Central via Gallowgate Central is on a falling gradient, whilst the line from High St towards is joined by the City Union towards Bellgrove Junction, it suggests to me the City Union branch from Gallowgate (City Union) to Gallowgate Central (NB) must have been on a pretty severe gradient although I have been unable to find reference to this. The former junction at Gallowgate Central is visible on the return trip from Bridgeton Central on this You Tube video.

GLASGOW'S DISUSED RAILWAYS - High street to Bridgeton Central, driver's cab view return journey 1983 - YouTube

Attachments

• Map1.jpg
    Map1.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 41

d9009alycidon

The weekend before the Blue Trains came into service, the line was closed between High Street and Partick to allow the tunnels to clear of smoke. Temporary timetables were in used with trains from Airdrie terminating at St Enoch, I have a copy of the special traffic notice somewhere.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The weekend before the Blue Trains came into service, the line was closed between High Street and Partick to allow the tunnels to clear of smoke. Temporary timetables were in used with trains from Airdrie terminating at St Enoch, I have a copy of the special traffic notice somewhere.
Wow, that is really interesting!
Whilst acknowledging this thread is about St Enoch, I'd guess the services from the west would have run to Queen St High Level.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
That was a engine shed at the start of it's life (opened 1885) which was latterly repurposed as a goods shed handling milk, fruit and fish (at least that was it's purpose according to the station layout diagram in post #6, whenever it was produced). It's duties as a shed were taken over by a new build facility at Corkerhill fairly early on (1896?) which of course is still in use today. Believe it was also used as a loco stabling point 'til the end of services in June 1966. Was cleared with the rest of the site in the mid/late 70s (attached image dated September 1975 courtesy of the Eastbank Model Railway Club site).

View attachment 93284
Thanks.
So this was, originally, the main shed in Glasgow for the G&SWR?
Was it called St Enoch or ....? Do you know?

delt1c

Established Member
Just thinking a bit deeper, would it have been better to close Queen St and keep St Enochs open, yes it would have extended some journey times but it would have given easy access to Central and south Clyde services. Appreciate it would have required track alterations to allow more services from the North. Just thinking outside the box

Strathclyder

Established Member
Thanks.
So this was, originally, the main shed in Glasgow for the G&SWR?
Was it called St Enoch or ....? Do you know?
I suspect that was the case for at least the time it was used as a maintenance/servicing shed leading up to the opening of Corkerhill, yes. As for what it was officially called, RailScot refers to it as 'St. Enoch Locomotive Shed', so it's fairly likely it was something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.