• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway rolling stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does this stock have side contact collector shoes; YouTube videos seem to show the third rail quite some distance from the running rail?

On YouTube most trains seem to consist of 3 Driving Motor cars coupled together; Wikipedia indicates there are enough trailers for 8 DM-T-DM formations.

When running as a 3 car DM-DM-DM does the middle DM have traction power or is it just a braked trailer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Does this stock have side contact collector shoes; YouTube videos seem to show the third rail quite some distance from the running rail?

On YouTube most trains seem to consist of 3 Driving Motor cars coupled together; Wikipedia indicates there are enough trailers for 8 DM-T-DM formations.

When running as a 3 car DM-DM-DM does the middle DM have traction power or is it just a braked trailer?

Definitely motors.

The trailers were introduced some years after the main build as a means of increasing capacity. It was found that performance would still be able to be maintained adequately without going to the expense of building more expensive motor cars.

Certainly I'd say from riding the trains there's little perceptible difference. Perhaps the trains motor a little longer and more often on the formations which include a trailer car, but I wouldn't say there's any noticable impact on acceleration or speed. I'm sure if driving the trains the difference might be more noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.