• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Aberdeen - Quickest achievable time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
On Friday I was travelling down to Stirling from Aberdeen, which luckily was a refurb HST. Brake problems with the front power car resutled in a 25 minute delay, with all passengers heading to stations to Dundee told to board the Edinburgh service trailing us, as we were being made express all the way to Dundee - thus skipping Stoney, Montrose, and Arbroath.

With a clear run in front of us, we made Dundee in 58 minutes (providing I was counting correctly!), and if it weren't for a slow departure out of Aberdeen, it could have been even less.

As the title says, given Aberdeen to Dundee could be achieved in under an hour even at the behest of the current infrastructure, as opposed to it's usual hour and 10 minutes, what is the quickest time theoretically possible between Aberdeen and Glasgow - or for that matter, Edinburgh - under the current parameters of the infrastructure?

You can do Dundee to Perth in 20 minutes at best, and Perth to Glasgow in 55 minutes at their quickest diagramed runs. If Perth was sorted out track alignment wise along with Greenhill Junction, what's to say you could get Glasgow to Aberdeen down to the 2 hour mark? Or is this pushing it? As a regular on this route, I dare say it could be done both with or without these two projects.

Bombing it down the coast to Dundee in under an hour, which is a rarity, has certainly got me thinking.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
So 2hr 15 with 2 stops and no engineering allowance. Rebuilding Perth and Greenhill will save 2-3 min at best.
Question is (as with the GWR thread on this subforum) - skip the intermediate stops for headline times, or keep the stops and frequency?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
On Friday I was travelling down to Stirling from Aberdeen, which luckily was a refurb HST. Brake problems with the front power car resutled in a 25 minute delay, with all passengers heading to stations to Dundee told to board the Edinburgh service trailing us, as we were being made express all the way to Dundee - thus skipping Stoney, Montrose, and Arbroath.

With a clear run in front of us, we made Dundee in 58 minutes (providing I was counting correctly!), and if it weren't for a slow departure out of Aberdeen, it could have been even less.

As the title says, given Aberdeen to Dundee could be achieved in under an hour even at the behest of the current infrastructure, as opposed to it's usual hour and 10 minutes, what is the quickest time theoretically possible between Aberdeen and Glasgow - or for that matter, Edinburgh - under the current parameters of the infrastructure?

You can do Dundee to Perth in 20 minutes at best, and Perth to Glasgow in 55 minutes at their quickest diagramed runs. If Perth was sorted out track alignment wise along with Greenhill Junction, what's to say you could get Glasgow to Aberdeen down to the 2 hour mark? Or is this pushing it? As a regular on this route, I dare say it could be done both with or without these two projects.

Bombing it down the coast to Dundee in under an hour, which is a rarity, has certainly got me thinking.

I think 2 hrs 15 is about the fastest you could schedule and reliably maintain as a schedule. Using the HSTs to their full potential that would allow a few minutes recovery time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.