• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Bristol, split tickets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
Hopefully an expert on here can help.
For Glasgow to Bristol, or vice versa, are there any split ticketing options (whether 2, 3 or more splits) that allow you to save any money on the usual off peak return fare?
Ive tried the obvious one of Birmingham, but that never saved me anything.

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All I can really suggest is to try 'splitting' at major stations, where long-distance services call.

However looking specifically at Advance fares, it is perhaps worth considering XC fares Bristol to Manchester, plus TPE fares Manchester to Glasgow. Also, if you book a long way in advance I find that you can get reasonable fares on FGW for Bristol-London, this could be combined with London-Glasgow on either Virgin or East Coast.

junglejames

Established Member
All I can really suggest is to try 'splitting' at major stations, where long-distance services call.

However looking specifically at Advance fares, it is perhaps worth considering XC fares Bristol to Manchester, plus TPE fares Manchester to Glasgow. Also, if you book a long way in advance I find that you can get reasonable fares on FGW for Bristol-London, this could be combined with London-Glasgow on either Virgin or East Coast.

Hi Yorkie. Im looking specifically at off peak returns here, but will keep trying the obvious stations, and see what i get. Just wondered if anybody knew anything off the top of their head.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK, looking specifically at Off Peak Returns (SVRs):

Bristol - Glasgow is expensive at £146.40 (Valid from 0415)

Bristol - Preston is £76.40 (Valid from 0754)
Preston - Glasgow is £60.30 (Valid from 0415) [Or £33.00 if returning same day]

Preston - Glasgow can be further split as follows:
Preston - Carlisle £35.10 (Valid from 0415)
Carlisle - Glasgow £21.00 (Valid from 0900)

Further splits are possible, I'm sure, but splitting south of Preston may incur the wrath of XC who may then demand you travel after 0930, although splitting at Cheltenham can mitigate this (as FGW are far more reasonable).

Back in the days of "complicated" tickets, under British Rail, all these SVR tickets (then called Saver - how complicated!) were valid at any time. Our new system is claimed to be simpler, however very few people believe this, and one of them seems to think we should buy CDs or go to the theatre instead of travel by train using SVRs, despite being a Director for ATOC.

What a bizarre system we have!

junglejames

Established Member
OK, looking specifically at Off Peak Returns (SVRs):

Bristol - Glasgow is expensive at £146.40 (Valid from 0415)

Bristol - Preston is £76.40 (Valid from 0754)
Preston - Glasgow is £60.30 (Valid from 0415) [Or £33.00 if returning same day]

Preston - Glasgow can be further split as follows:
Preston - Carlisle £35.10 (Valid from 0415)
Carlisle - Glasgow £21.00 (Valid from 0900)

Further splits are possible, I'm sure, but splitting south of Preston may incur the wrath of XC who may then demand you travel after 0930, although splitting at Cheltenham can mitigate this (as FGW are far more reasonable).

Back in the days of "complicated" tickets, under British Rail, all these SVR tickets (then called Saver - how complicated!) were valid at any time. Our new system is claimed to be simpler, however very few people believe this, and one of them seems to think we should buy CDs or go to the theatre instead of travel by train using SVRs, despite being a Director for ATOC.

What a bizarre system we have!

Thanks for that Yorkie.
Id found the one splitting at Preston, but hadnt looked further, splitting at Carlisle as well. Also found splitting at Warrington Bank Quay, but as you said, no travel before 0930.

We have a stupidly complicated system now. About time something was done about it, but whilst we have all these different privatised operations, it isnt going to happen.
I never realised all these saver returns were valid anytime in BR days though. I knew the restrictions were a lot less, but never realised it was that good.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I never realised all these saver returns were valid anytime in BR days though. I knew the restrictions were a lot less, but never realised it was that good.
My understanding is that all Savers (if you go back far enough I think they were called White Savers, with Blue Savers becoming SuperSavers, but I may have my colours mixed up) were valid at any time unless you were travelling on a ticket to/via London or one of the peripheral stations on each major InterCity route, ie Stevenage, Milton Keynes, Reading, etc. All 'cross country' Savers were valid at any time, and had 'restriction' 8A, Valid on any train. However once privatisation kicked in, some TOCs had the idea that they would restrict these tickets and force people to pay more for journeys made at certain times (of their choosing), these increased in number and then at so-called Simplification, it was decided that because the majority (more than half for sure but I have no idea what the proportion would be, or how to measure it!) of them were time restricted they would be re-named Off Peak. The completely separate ticket, Cheap Day Return was then considered to be of the same 'type', of course it isn't and the restrictions vary wildly, making a mockery of the claims on ATOC's National Rail Enquiries website.

Ivo

Established Member
A good start would be this:

Bath Spa to Falkirk High, which has more routes than you can throw a book at (I count 21, one of which is London) is £143.50; this fare would cover Bristol to Glasgow. I know it's dearer than splitting at Preston, but it's not bad! :)

Alternatively, try to travel from Newport if at all possible, and go via Manchester. Newport to Manchester is £60 precisely; Manchester to Glasgow is £67.10.

Welshman

Established Member
Alternatively, try to travel from Newport if at all possible, and go via Manchester. Newport to Manchester is £60 precisely; Manchester to Glasgow is £67.10.

If you're over 55 and travelling before 9th April, it's even better as you can get Newport-Manchester for £15 on ATW!

Almost makes it worth growing older. :)

junglejames

Established Member
My understanding is that all Savers (if you go back far enough I think they were called White Savers, with Blue Savers becoming SuperSavers, but I may have my colours mixed up) were valid at any time unless you were travelling on a ticket to/via London or one of the peripheral stations on each major InterCity route, ie Stevenage, Milton Keynes, Reading, etc. All 'cross country' Savers were valid at any time, and had 'restriction' 8A, Valid on any train. However once privatisation kicked in, some TOCs had the idea that they would restrict these tickets and force people to pay more for journeys made at certain times (of their choosing), these increased in number and then at so-called Simplification, it was decided that because the majority (more than half for sure but I have no idea what the proportion would be, or how to measure it!) of them were time restricted they would be re-named Off Peak. The completely separate ticket, Cheap Day Return was then considered to be of the same 'type', of course it isn't and the restrictions vary wildly, making a mockery of the claims on ATOC's National Rail Enquiries website.

Oh dont get me started on the so called simplification with savers becoming off peak. Would make sense if they were off peak, and if off peak meant the same thing all round the country, but as you say, restrictions vary so wildly its beyond funny.
Savers used to be fantastic tickets, and affordable. Then private companies took over, and made them stupidly expensive, and made sure you needed a degree to understand them, and all the restrictions.

The less said about ATOC the better. They have done nothing for our railways, but have come out with some of the most rediculous comments ive ever heard. Namely the one you mentioned previously about CDs etc. He should have got sacked for that comment. In fact he pretty much proved with that comment, that he would struggle to be good enough for any job full stop, so pretty much useless to the entire country. Shame we arent allowed to deport such people anymore!!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A good start would be this:

Bath Spa to Falkirk High, which has more routes than you can throw a book at (I count 21, one of which is London) is £143.50; this fare would cover Bristol to Glasgow. I know it's dearer than splitting at Preston, but it's not bad! :)

Thanks for that Ivo. A good idea, but its not for me (just trying to save money on travel for a charity), and im guessing starting from Newport and going via Manchester may not be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.