• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Doncaster tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bella

My son is travelling on a through Advance Ticket tomorrow from Glasgow Queen Street to Doncaster.
There is of course no through train. Only the Edinburgh to Doncaster part shows on his ticket the allocated seat which he must use. He intends to travel through to Edinburgh on the 10.00 or 10.30 to give some him extra time if the Glasgow leg is late before he connects with his booked 12.00 ex Waverley.

However he has received an e-mail from LNER this morning which says

You're booked on the 11:00 train from Glasgow Queen Street to Doncaster with an Advance ticket. Please be aware that your ticket is only valid on this service.

Can this possibly be right? I think not. My understanding is he is eligible to travel on any Glasgow to Edinburgh service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
In practice, I can't see it being a problem travelling on a slightly earlier service from Glasgow. The email will be a generic one, as I imagine the financial penalties of getting on the wrong LNER train and having to buy a new ticket are quite large!

I've done this journey in the past, getting on a Scotrail train from Glasgow half an hour earlier than booked, and the guard was fine with it. If anything, he advised me I should've got an earlier train to get a better First Class experience!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My son is travelling on a through Advance Ticket tomorrow from Glasgow Queen Street to Doncaster.
There is of course no through train. Only the Edinburgh to Doncaster part shows on his ticket the allocated seat which he must use. He intends to travel through to Edinburgh on the 10.00 or 10.30 to give some him extra time if the Glasgow leg is late before he connects with his booked 12.00 ex Waverley.

However he has received an e-mail from LNER this morning which says

You're booked on the 11:00 train from Glasgow Queen Street to Doncaster with an Advance ticket. Please be aware that your ticket is only valid on this service.

Can this possibly be right? I think not. My understanding is he is eligible to travel on any Glasgow to Edinburgh service?
The email is misleading and can be ignored. The terms of the ticket remain unchanged.

The rules are: any appropriate connecting train from Glasgow to Edinburgh, then the booked train from Edinburgh to Doncaster.

If the arrival time into Doncaster is critical, then yes there is no reason not to get an earlier connecting train, to reduce the chances of a delay.

However for future reference, if anyone does want to allow additional interchange time, you can actually request this to be part of the itinerary at the time of booking. Several booking sites do allow for additional interchange time to be specified.

If delays occur between Glasgow and Edinburgh, the next available train(s) from Edinburgh can be taken (note this may require an additional change of train at York) and Delay Repay compensation can be claimed. This applies regardless of whether or not travel is made on a 'through' ticket or a combination of tickets.

bella

What I thought. Thanks to you both for the specific clarification.

_toommm_

Established Member
What I thought. Thanks to you both for the specific clarification.

No worries - make sure to sit on the left hand side in the direction of travel if you can. It gets the best views over The Border Bridge and south of Berwick!

VT 390

Established Member
No worries - make sure to sit on the left hand side in the direction of travel if you can. It gets the best views over The Border Bridge and south of Berwick!

If the tickets have been booked through LNER you can edit your reserved seat so you can guarantee to be sat on that side.

Status
Not open for further replies.