• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Dundee cheapest return fare???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBrown156

Hi,
In a few days time I shall be making a return day trip from Glasgow Queen Street to Dundee and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best value ticket to buy for this please?. Last time I made this trip I was advised by someone that it was cheaper to split the journey and buy a ticket from Glasgow to Perth, then Perth to Dundee rather than buying a Glasgow to Dundee ticket. This was a while ago so I can't remember exactly what I asked for (singles or returns) but it was definitely something along those lines. Would that still the cheapest option?

Thanks
Kind regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
Hi,
In a few days time I shall be making a return day trip from Glasgow Queen Street to Dundee and I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best value ticket to buy for this please?. Last time I made this trip I was advised by someone that it was cheaper to split the journey and buy a ticket from Glasgow to Perth, then Perth to Dundee rather than buying a Glasgow to Dundee ticket. This was a while ago so I can't remember exactly what I asked for (singles or returns) but it was definitely something along those lines. Would that still the cheapest option?

Thanks
Kind regards

What time are you thinking of going and on what date? Are you amenable to advance tickets, or would you require flexibility?

Splitting at Perth gets you a return cost of £17.00 + £9.10 = £26.10 (Off-Peak, valid after 8:00am) versus £40.50 for an Off-Peak Return (I can’t see a day return available).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What time are you thinking of going and on what date? Are you amenable to advance tickets, or would you require flexibility?

Splitting at Perth gets you a return cost of £17.00 + £9.10 = £26.10 (Off-Peak, valid after 8:00am) versus £40.50 for an Off-Peak Return (I can’t see a day return available).
Those Off-Peak tickets are restriction H1 so are only valid from 09:15 and also have evening peak restrictions out of Glasgow and Edinburgh - not valid from 16:42 to 18:10 (inclusive). With the current timetable that would mean an earliest arrival at Glasgow at 12:19.

If OP needs to travel during those times, they could split Anytime tickets at Gleneagles instead, which would cost a total of £14.20 + £27.40 = £41.60 vs £49.10.

However that would require them to take a train that stops there (some services don't), and also prevents them from travelling via Haymarket, which is currently showing as the fastest route for some parts of the day.

GaryBrown156

Those Off-Peak tickets are restriction H1 so are only valid from 09:15 and also have evening peak restrictions out of Glasgow and Edinburgh - not valid from 16:42 to 18:10 (inclusive). With the current timetable that would mean an earliest arrival at Glasgow at 12:19.

If OP needs to travel during those times, they could split Anytime tickets at Gleneagles instead, which would cost a total of £14.20 + £27.40 = £41.60 vs £49.10.

However that would require them to take a train that stops there (some services don't), and also prevents them from travelling via Haymarket, which is currently showing as the fastest route for some parts of the day.
Hi, thanks for the info.
I would be travelling after 10am and catching a return after 6pm in the evening.

Thanks to both who replied

_toommm_

Established Member

Interesting, TrainSplit had them as valid after 8:00 this morning.

Just double checked, it’s coming up as B7 for me:

D99C8163-C776-4B83-8525-56C321973973.jpeg4053172B-63C4-4CC2-B678-C07430B0818A.png

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ah, I see where the confusion has arisen - Glasgow to Perth is restriction B7 (valid from 08:00, no evening peak restrictions), Perth to Glasgow (and Perth-Dundee, in either direction) is restriction H1.

Veteran Member
Ah, I see where the confusion has arisen - Glasgow to Perth is restriction B7 (valid from 08:00, no evening peak restrictions), Perth to Glasgow (and Perth-Dundee, in either direction) is restriction H1.
And the OP is starting in Glasgow, so B7 is the relevant one.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And the OP is starting in Glasgow, so B7 is the relevant one.
Although they still need to observe H1, which effectively prevents travel on trains leaving Glasgow after 8am, but Stirling before 9:15am, i.e. the direct services leaving at 08:10 and 08:40.

Veteran Member
Although they still need to observe H1, which effectively prevents travel on trains leaving Glasgow after 8am, but Stirling before 9:15am, i.e. the direct services leaving at 08:10 and 08:40.
Why? Splitting at Stirling AND Perth costs 80p more than just Perth anyway.

HSP 2

Hi, thanks for the info.
I would be travelling after 10am and catching a return after 6pm in the evening.

Thanks to both who replied
As the OP has mentioned he's going to be traveling after 10;00, so the most relevant train would be the 10;41 off Queen st. (the one before is the 09;09). Cost £26.10 (no rail card) splitting at Perth. For the return the OP has two trains that he can use this ticket on the 18;57 off Dundee and the 19;50 both to Queen st.

route101

Established Member
Usually I split at Perth, once the ticket office done this without asking. I noticed that with a off peak Perth day return can be used before 9am.

A Glasgow to Dundee can be used via Edinburgh to0.

Status
Not open for further replies.