• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to London off peak return

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Just wondering if its possible to break the journey in York outward?

Apart from ECML and WCML , what other routes is it valid?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Just wondering if its possible to break the journey in York outward?

Apart from ECML and WCML , what other routes is it valid?
No, because the restriction code, 5F, bars break of journey on the outward portion.

However, you could get a Super Off-Peak Return from somewhere like Larbert, which is the same price (well, 40p more), and it would then be permitted to go to London via Glasgow and York, and to break your journey en-route. This is because the restriction code, 1K, doesn't bar break of journey.

The hypothetical route from Larbert to London as described above would involve doubling back between Croy and Glasgow (assuming you took a fast E-G via Falkirk High service), but that is permitted in this case.

Most Scotland-London tickets are extremely flexible. You can go on the WCML and ECML on all relevant "side" branches (e.g. via Barrow-in-Furness, Manchester, Birmingham and Northampton if WCML or via Hartlepool, Leeds and Lincoln if ECML). From Peterborough onwards you can go via Cambridge and then into either Liverpool Street, King's Cross, St Pancras or Moorgate.

Further west you can also go via Banbury into Marylebone or Paddington. The former "Thames Clyde" express route, via Dumfries and Settle is permitted. The MML all the way down from Leeds is permitted. It's pretty flexible.

The relevant Routeing Guide maps and map combinations to look up (here on the map definition page) are shown on page 691 of the Yellow Pages.

Unfortunately the RDG and the train companies (and sadly the organisations supposed to protect passengers' interests, such as Transport Focus) think that it is complicated for passengers to be given a choice of different routes. They are all working, with the DfT's blessing, to try and reduce the number of permitted routes. In the case of Edinburgh-London you can now no longer buy a fully flexible standard class ticket, being tied to either one routed "via York" or one routed "Avanti".

route101

Established Member
Might consider that Super Off peak return from Larbert, though would be easier just to pay fare to Larbert and pick up train there.

Or , just break my journey on the inward portion.

I take it i cant Go Glasgow - Manchester - London on outward?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Might consider that Super Off peak return from Larbert, though would be easier just to pay fare to Larbert and pick up train there.

Or , just break my journey on the inward portion.

I take it i cant Go Glasgow - Manchester - London on outward?
Not sure why you'd pay the fare to Larbert twice? As stated, it's valid for a double-back Larbert-Glasgow so you can validly pick it up in Glasgow and then go to London via Falkirk (High) and York.

Break of journey is unrestricted on the return portion of 5F restricted tickets so you could do that instead.

You can go via Manchester on the outward portion as it's a valid route, but you can't break your journey on a 5F restricted ticket. That said, any problems are likely to come from your choice of route being "unreasonable" in some staff members' view (esp. the low paid security bods at Piccadilly :( ) rather than them knowing that the ticket doesn't permit BoJ!

On any Manchester-London service you're more likely to face a challenge on the BoJ grounds rather than choice of route, as buying tickets from Lancaster northwards is a well-known way of avoiding the massive Anytime "tax" on Manchester-London etc. that you have to pay if you can't abide by the heavily restrictive 2C restrictions applying to Manchester-London Off-Peak tickets.

route101

Established Member
Looks like i will go via ECML on way to Kings X and on return stop in Manchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.