• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Montrose Best Value non advanced return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryBrown156

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could please advise me of the best value return ticket (or combination of tickets) available for a Glasgow to Montrose day return leaving after 9am and returning in the evening?. I haven't made this journey for a while but know that a return to Dundee is cheaper if you purchase a Glasgow - Perth and Perth-Dundee return instead of a Glasgow - Dundee return. Obviously Montrose is further away but would something similar to that still be a cheaper option?.
I get really confused with these sort of things so any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Off Peak Day Return Glasgow to Perth at £17-00 plus an Off Peak Day Return from Perth to Montrose at £17-10.

Total £34-10 (before any railcard discount, if one is held).

Can someone double check this and confirm that ticket restrictions are such that the OP will be o.k. to travel as early as the 0840 direct train from Glasgow Queen Street to Aberdeen which calls at both Perth (to make the ticket split work) and Montrose. (Arr. 1042) or advise a possible alternative itinerary for a later departure from Glasgow.

Return travel same day, and for the split I've suggested, the train or trains used obviously need to call at Perth which direct trains from Montrose to Queen Street will all do.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
GLQ-PTH OP Day Return (CDR) is valid after 0800 (unlike the 1-month SVR); PTH onwards has the common Scottish 0915 restriction. So all is well!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thanks @30907 .

One other observation. If the OP isn't able to make the 0840 Aberdeen train, direct to Montrose from Queen Street via Perth, the next available connection for Montrose, the 0909 Dundee departure from Queen Street via Perth, will result in a lengthy one hour wait at Dundee for the onward train to Montrose.

route101

Established Member
GLQ-PTH OP Day Return (CDR) is valid after 0800 (unlike the 1-month SVR); PTH onwards has the common Scottish 0915 restriction. So all is well!
I found that out to my surprise last year. I do think walk up fares to Dundee are quite high in price.

Status
Not open for further replies.