• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow to Portsmouth off peak return , routes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Anyone know what are the permitted routes for this ticket?
Same as a Glasgow-London ticket as far as London if you go that way, plus all the usual London-Portsmouth permitted routes (via Farnborough North, Basingstoke and Botley; via Guildford and most of the suburban SWR routes; via Horsham and Three Bridges; via Brighton, optionally Lewes, and Three Bridges; via Reading and Botley).

Avoiding (central) London, you can get as far as Birmingham using the WCML and its branches or else via the ECML and branches as far as York and then the CrossCountry Main Line. From Birmingham onwards you can go via the usual routes down to Reading and then via Haslemere or Winchester to Portsmouth. Alternatively you can go towards London along the WCML and then use the Southern Watford/MK to Croydon service to go via Kensington Olympia, joining the aforementioned routes out of London at Clapham Junction.

There may be a couple of additional routes using the routes permitted by virtue of the 'shortest or within 3 miles thereof' rule.

Did you have any particular route in mind that you were considering?

Bear in mind that a Glasgow-Portsmouth Off-Peak Return has restriction 3A, which bars break of journey on the outward portion.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Was looking at Glasgow to Kings X , then from Waterloo to Portsmouth via Guildford.

On the return go from Southampton via Basingstoke to London. Can I still stop in Manchester on my return?

Is it possible to overnight in London on way back to Glasgow?

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Was looking at Glasgow to Kings X , then from Waterloo to Portsmouth via Guildford.

On the return go from Southampton via Basingstoke to London. Can I still stop in Manchester on my return?

Is it possible to overnight in London on way back to Glasgow?
Your proposed outward route is fine.

For the return route you'd need to have the ticket issued to Southampton, or a separate ticket to cover you between Southampton and Eastleigh or whichever other station your train to London first called at after Eastleigh.

Portsmouth to London is slightly cheaper than Southampton to London so it isn't valid via Southampton. Soton, being more expensive, is valid via all the Pompey-London routes plus Soton-Eastleigh etc.

You can stop off as many times as you like, at any station along a permitted route, on the return portion of tickets with a 3A restriction code (such as Glasgow-Portsmouth Off-Peak Returns).

London and Manchester are both on permitted routes between Glasgow and Southampton/Portsmouth so you can stop off in either and/or both of those places.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Your proposed outward route is fine.

For the return route you'd need to have the ticket issued to Southampton, or a separate ticket to cover you between Southampton and Eastleigh or whichever other station your train to London first called at after Eastleigh.

Portsmouth to London is slightly cheaper than Southampton to London so it isn't valid via Southampton. Soton, being more expensive, is valid via all the Pompey-London routes plus Soton-Eastleigh etc.

You can stop off as many times as you like, at any station along a permitted route, on the return portion of tickets with a 3A restriction code (such as Glasgow-Portsmouth Off-Peak Returns).

London and Manchester are both on permitted routes between Glasgow and Southampton/Portsmouth so you can stop off in either and/or both of those places.

Thanks for your help.

Is there a off peak restriction for weekday mornings towards London?

And is it possible for overnight on way back to Glasgow in either Manchester or London?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Thanks for your help.

Is there a off peak restriction for weekday mornings towards London?

And is it possible for overnight on way back to Glasgow in either Manchester or London?
Restriction 3A restricts your arrival into London on the outward portion, and out of London on the return portion. If arriving into King's Cross you should refer to restriction 1K, which bars arrival before 11:17.

You can break your journey, including overnight stays, as often as you like and for as long as you like on the return portion, during the calendar month that it is valid. So you can stay overnight in Manchester and/or London for one or more nights.

route101

Established Member
Restriction 3A restricts your arrival into London on the outward portion, and out of London on the return portion. If arriving into King's Cross you should refer to restriction 1K, which bars arrival before 11:17.

You can break your journey, including overnight stays, as often as you like and for as long as you like on the return portion, during the calendar month that it is valid. So you can stay overnight in Manchester and/or London for one or more nights.

The 0648 Glasgow to London Kings X arrives after 12.

I was looking at setting off from the South Coast early morning up to London.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The 0648 Glasgow to London Kings X arrives after 12.

I was looking at setting off from the South Coast early morning up to London.
That should be no problem at all (especially since the first "Off-Peak" Euston-bound service out of Glasgow departs at 05:40 currently).

Your arrival into London is unrestricted on the return portion, i.e. from Portsmouth/Southampton to London.

route101

Established Member
That should be no problem at all (especially since the first "Off-Peak" Euston-bound service out of Glasgow departs at 05:40 currently).

Your arrival into London is unrestricted on the return portion, i.e. from Portsmouth/Southampton to London.

Yes , on return i hope to get the first off peak Manchester bound service.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Yes , on return i hope to get the first off peak Manchester bound service.
That'd be the 09:20 off Euston then. You may have difficulties inasmuch as that's the last Anytime ticket if holding a London-Manchester Off-Peak ticket. I'd advise getting a reservation for that service when booking your ticket which you can present on top of your ticket.

route101

Established Member
That'd be the 09:20 off Euston then. You may have difficulties inasmuch as that's the last Anytime ticket if holding a London-Manchester Off-Peak ticket. I'd advise getting a reservation for that service when booking your ticket which you can present on top of your ticket.

More likely to be the 10am Euston to Manchester service im catching.

route101

Established Member
Completed return journey yesterday, 10am from Euston to Manchester.

Service departed from p1 which had barriers , not noticed barriers there before. My ticket didnt work through barriers, one of the avanti staff barked ' this is not the Glasgow train' i said i have a reservation for this service, didnt want to see it and was let through. No check on board.

Gathursty

Established Member
Quick question on routing. Is Glasgow - WCML - Birmingham - Bristol - Westbury - Romsey - Eastleigh - Portsmouth valid?

route101

Established Member
Quick question on routing. Is Glasgow - WCML - Birmingham - Bristol - Westbury - Romsey - Eastleigh - Portsmouth valid?

I was wondering that as well, i notice fares go up going from Scotland to the SW.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That’ll be because they’re priced by CrossCountry.

Status
Not open for further replies.