• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow transport recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex397

Established Member
Hi all,

I have decided to travel to Glasgow for a few days. I found a reasonable price for the Avanti West Coast up to Glasgow, and i've always wanted to go there, mainly for the Subway.

I would be grateful for any advice for things to see and to travel on for the transport enthusiast.

Obviously I will be trying the Subway, especially as it only takes 24 mins for a full circuit. I'm aware many of the stations are pretty bland and nondescript, but I will be seeing St. Enoch which looks relatively impressive. Are there any other Subway stations which are worth getting off and having a look at - are some of the station interiors still of historical interest? As most ground-level buildings certainly don't look it!

I also plan to travel by train to Gourock for the Dunoon ferry - I think i'd regret not seeing a bit of scenery while I was there.

I'm also aware of the two underground mainlines through Glasgow - I think i'd like to travel on those (particularly as I have a fondness for the Moorgate line in London). Is there a particular station on those lines which would be the most interesting? Its also a shame the Class 314s have been withdrawn quite recently!

The bus network is also something i'd like to sample. Are there any relatively rare bus types to look out for? I know McGills have some Citaros which I am aiming for (they are very uncommon around my area). I thought First still operated some tri-axle E500s, but they appear to all be in Aberdeen now. Just looking for anything thats fairly uncommon or interesting really. And when it comes to routes, is there anything thats interesting or particularly scenic (and my definition of scenic does also include industrial areas, and just anything unusual!). I will try to travel on that McGills route that goes through the tunnel too. I probably won't stray too far out of Glasgow on buses, as I am fairly time limited (and some of that time will be for beer!).

So, some interesting train/bus types will be great to sample, but probably more interested in scenic or unusual routes, as well as historical architecture, or anything that might be worth seeing before it changes. It looks like a great city to explore whatever I do though.
Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Obviously I will be trying the Subway, especially as it only takes 24 mins for a full circuit. I'm aware many of the stations are pretty bland and nondescript, but I will be seeing St. Enoch which looks relatively impressive. Are there any other Subway stations which are worth getting off and having a look at - are some of the station interiors still of historical interest? As most ground-level buildings certainly don't look it!

Not really, even pre-modernisation I don't think any of the stations were anything special indeed most were quite tired looking.

The only things really of note are the entranceway arches at Cessnock which were saved following local opposition to their removal and the buildings at St Enoch, the former headquarters of the Subway is now a coffee shop!

I also plan to travel by train to Gourock for the Dunoon ferry - I think i'd regret not seeing a bit of scenery while I was there.

Not a bad stretch of line but if you've time I'd suggest a detour to Wemyss Bay, the station architecture is really quite something for what is now such a quiet station.

I'm also aware of the two underground mainlines through Glasgow - I think i'd like to travel on those (particularly as I have a fondness for the Moorgate line in London). Is there a particular station on those lines which would be the most interesting? Its also a shame the Class 314s have been withdrawn quite recently!

The actual platforms and most of the stations of the "low level" are quite nondescript but Queen Street high level is worth a look at the developments if you've the inclination.

So, some interesting train/bus types will be great to sample, but probably more interested in scenic or unusual routes, as well as historical architecture, or anything that might be worth seeing before it changes. It looks like a great city to explore whatever I do though.
Many thanks

The unique trains would be the 380s and 385s really, the other types are either used elsewhere or similar ones are used elsewhere. You get both 380s and 385s on the Inverclyde Lines.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The Riverside Museum near Partick is good on transport IIRC.

It's predecessor was better because everything was viewable up close, most of the cars are now mounted 20 feet in the air!

Nevertheless it's interesting enough and you can either walk from Govan subway station or get a bus, can't remember which number but there's a stop outside.

The issue is though the museum is still closed at the moment afaik

route101

Established Member
Id say Glasgow Central low level is more interesting than the low level line at Queen St.

The McGills 17 route goes through the Clyde Tunnel , so does the first 77.

As for interesting buses , theres still some ALX 400s . Routes 19 and 60/a are best for them, if your really lucky you may get the 02 plate trident.

John Hunt

Hi Alex!
Your mention of Glasgow St Enoch made me smile. I have a 1947 LMS timetable here which shows a sleeper service from St Pancrs Stn via Leicester to St Enoch which was a grand station all those years ago!

alex397

Established Member
Wemyss Bay station is a beautiful bit of architecture

Thank you Steve (and hexagon below). Looking at Streetview, this really does look like an interesting station, and with excellent interchange with the ferry. Sadly I don't think i'll have enough time for that, but its certainly worth thinking about if I change plans.

Not really, even pre-modernisation I don't think any of the stations were anything special indeed most were quite tired looking.

The only things really of note are the entranceway arches at Cessnock which were saved following local opposition to their removal and the buildings at St Enoch, the former headquarters of the Subway is now a coffee shop!

Not a bad stretch of line but if you've time I'd suggest a detour to Wemyss Bay, the station architecture is really quite something for what is now such a quiet station.

The actual platforms and most of the stations of the "low level" are quite nondescript but Queen Street high level is worth a look at the developments if you've the inclination.

The unique trains would be the 380s and 385s really, the other types are either used elsewhere or similar ones are used elsewhere. You get both 380s and 385s on the Inverclyde Lines.

Thank you for this hexagon.

I may have a peek at Cessnock while im there - it looks relatively interesting on Streetview too. I presume all the Subway stations are pretty simple and modern inside and out then, with the exception of St Enoch which has both the former HQ, and the modern station, which seems to have an entrance reminiscent of Canary Wharf tube station in London (a mini version of course). Still looking forward to seeing the Subway, i've been wanting to visit for years.

I'll be looking at Queen Street, as well as the nearby Buchanan bus station (for the buses more than the architecture).

I shall look out for the 380s and 385s. I mostly like to find the old stuff, but I still like to see interesting modern types.

The Riverside Museum near Partick is good on transport IIRC.

I was hoping to visit this, but sadly it will be closed during my visit. A little disappointed, as this and the Subway were the first things I thought of when thinking of visiting Glasgow. But can't be helped!

Id say Glasgow Central low level is more interesting than the low level line at Queen St.

The McGills 17 route goes through the Clyde Tunnel , so does the first 77.

As for interesting buses , theres still some ALX 400s . Routes 19 and 60/a are best for them, if your really lucky you may get the 02 plate trident.

Thanks, will try out the line through Central low level - I arrive at the Central high level, and my hotel is nearby, so this will be handy.

And thats exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear about with older bus types and the most likely place to find them.

------

Thanks for this info so far - open to more suggestions if any.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I may have a peek at Cessnock while im there - it looks relatively interesting on Streetview too. I presume all the Subway stations are pretty simple and modern inside and out then, with the exception of St Enoch which has both the former HQ, and the modern station, which seems to have an entrance reminiscent of Canary Wharf tube station in London (a mini version of course). Still looking forward to seeing the Subway, i've been wanting to visit for years.

The modernisation made all the stations pretty similar architecture wise, and yes that's actually a good way to describe the refurbished St Enoch's!

I shall look out for the 380s and 385s. I mostly like to find the old stuff, but I still like to see interesting modern types.

will try out the line through Central low level - I arrive at the Central high level, and my hotel is nearby, so this will be handy.

If you like the older classes, the 318s are now the oldest in ScotRail's fleet having been introduced in 1986. You'll find plenty of them on the Glasgow Central Low Level line, though there are some on certain High Level routes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.