• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Tripper Ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Has anyone here tried the Glasgow Tripper card? Not the SPT Day Tripper but the smart card that's valid on First, McGill's, Citybus and Whitelaws?

How much are the fares, weekly etc etc?

Their website doesn't seem to have much information!

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
There is only a limited availability of tickets. A while back they said on Twitter that more types of tickets were to be coming, but nothing has happened as far as I am aware. I think you can only get a £5 day ticket, but you have to apply for a smartcard first.

CM

You'd think they'd have sorted it all out by now. It'd be handy if you could buy a weekly ticket on your phone or something. Seems like a good idea, badly executed!

Gingerbus1991

You'd think they'd have sorted it all out by now. It'd be handy if you could buy a weekly ticket on your phone or something. Seems like a good idea, badly executed!
But do first bus not have enough services covering glasgow for there £4.30 day ticket?

smtglasgow

It always seems like a box ticking exercise designed to appease politicians. Most regular passengers requiring different operators would probably go with the SPT Zone Card: more expensive, but gives you the alternative of using the train/subway. I guess First, McGills etc are always going to prioritise sales of their own tickets – the Tripper has a very low profile.

CM

The Zonecard is far too expensive and I for one don't fancy walking around with the huge, silly photocard all day. IF they brought out a phone based version then it might be more appealing to people.

£4.30 for a First day ticket is fine if you only plan on using First's services, but having a ticket that covers all operators would be better.

Gingerbus1991

The Zonecard is far too expensive and I for one don't fancy walking around with the huge, silly photocard all day. IF they brought out a phone based version then it might be more appealing to people.

£4.30 for a First day ticket is fine if you only plan on using First's services, but having a ticket that covers all operators would be better.
As far as I can see the only people who benefit from the tripper are those who may use the x19 for example to the city centre as a quick bus for those not wanting to use a longer route first bus from easterhouse, or maybe people in govan out to johnston, neilston, kilbarchan, Spateston etc

I too see this tripper ticket as a way of appeasing those MP's who bang on about bus re-regulation.

route101

Established Member
Not seen anyone use one yet , about time SPT had better day tickets plus McGills acceptance of them

KGGXXXY

Used it once, was a pain to load. First Bus Driver had no idea how to do it, despite his bus having the logo on the side.
Mcgills Driver managed to it, and no problem with using it on Stagecoach and First after.
So happy i'ts now online but this bit sucks: "Please allow at least 4 hours between purchasing your ticket and collecting it on the bus"

Gingerbus1991

As far as I can see the only people who benefit from the tripper are those who may use the x19 for example to the city centre as a quick bus for those not wanting to use a longer route first bus from easterhouse, or maybe people in govan out to johnston, neilston, kilbarchan, Spateston etc

I too see this tripper ticket as a way of appeasing those MP's who bang on about bus re-regulation.
Hence why the Tripper isn't a widely seen item in glasgow... Too many operators in glasgow

Gingerbus1991

There's actually very few these days compared to about 25-30 years ago
Granted, but having 1 major greater glasgow operator covering all basis with a uniform, modern fleet & livery with the same uniform ticketing model as opposed to 3 or 4 different operators and a smattering of smaller firms which in practice has increased ticket prices as passengers are scattered across these companies which in turn reduces the amount each company generates thus reducing the budgets that each company can have to spend on the services across Glasgow, of course without a doubt our previous labour governments consessionary scheme has exacerbated these short comings thanks to Tory deregulation.

Deregulation was good in theory too but in practice it's messy and proved to be straining on company budgets through the 90's bus wars.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
This should be a platform for the overhaul of SPT's Zonecard. I have no idea why we need a bit of paper to show what zones users have got with a smartcard sealed inside it and also a paper ticket to allow users to use the trains.

If more operators come on board with the Tripper system, it could do some damage to SPT. Unfortunately SPT are still stuck in the 70s so I don;t think see them overhauling the Zonecard any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.