• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow underground now closed for a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
So theorise has come for the reliable good old clockwork orange to close for a month to have the points renewed at Hoban to and from the depot. Having growing up and used the underground daily in Glasgow it is quite sad to think the current stock will be gone in a few years. I can always remember the smell as a kid where I used to life was near one of the stations in the south side we used to play in the park and the smell that came from the entrance as a train rushed in will always be a nice memory. Anyone know what other works are happening down in the tunnels for the next 4 weeks must be huge amount of work as i don't imagine it would take 4 weeks to replace a set of cross overs and some track
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edit sorry for the spelling unused my phone

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hapless

Its the ramps and turnout chambers that are being dug out and redone completely. They were going to try and keep it open initially using one side, but on safety it was knocked on the head. The company doing it are on the clock 24hrs a day for the first 3 and half weeks when they hope to be testing prior to reopening.

Other work is being carried out with Cessnock modernisation started. Think they wanted to make a dent in it during the day as any noise etc badly affects the residents upstairs. Seems to be lots of work K/Bridge-Cowcaddens way also.

tranzitjim

Why are they doing these works?

Are they getting prepared for larger or wider trains?

If only they can get the tunnels large enough to fit an ex London deep-tube, then Glasgow could take advantage of Londons next big order?

sng7

Why are they doing these works?

Are they getting prepared for larger or wider trains?

If only they can get the tunnels large enough to fit an ex London deep-tube, then Glasgow could take advantage of Londons next big order?

They are replacing the (only) junction to and from the depot and between the inner and outer circle in these works hence the forced closure.

The Glasgow subway was built with a 4ft gauge and small loading gauge so there is no way any London underground or similar stock would fit hence the bespoke order needed. To fix this would mean re-excavating all the tunnels and stations to a bigger loading gauge which isn't worth the slightly reduced costs of new stock every 40 years.

mirodo

Why would Glasgow wont london cast off?

I think the suggestion was for Glasgow to participate in any future new stock orders made by LU, and benefit from the reduced costs associated with a joint order. Not for them to receive hand-me-downs from London.

tranzitjim

Also, would it be ideal to have a refuge siding located between the Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise tracks there?

Let me make sure I have some facts correct;
+ The inner circle is the Anti-Clockwise one?
+ The depot is on the outside of the circle?
+ Therefore, Anti-clockwise trains must cross over the Clockwise loop in order to access onto, and to return back from the Anti-Clockwise loop?

What I suggest in the way of a refuge siding at this location, is so a train entering/exiting the Anti-Clockwise loop, needs to get out of the way of the Anti-clockwise train behind it, but what if the exiting train is blocked while a Clockwise train runs past?

This refuge siding, an exiting train would enter it, wait for clearance to cross the Clockwise track, and already be clear of its Anti-clockwise loop. So, they can continu on as normal.

Please correct me if I have the above fact claims wrong!
I think the suggestion was for Glasgow to participate in any future new stock orders made by LU, and benefit from the reduced costs associated with a joint order. Not for them to receive hand-me-downs from London.

Correct.

The most I would say in respect to a hand-me-downs, is for a week when train buffs want to have a special trip just for the fun of travelling in a train on a network it has not been on before.

Also, I would suggest these enlargement plans be only for when respective sections need to be renewed anyway. Such as this junction is being done now, get it prepared now. It may take some years or decades to do the whole network, but at least if you make a start......

gsnedders

Established Member
http://www.spt.co.uk/2016/07/subway-suspension-update/ reports that the contractor (Colas Rail) believes they need around an extra fortnight.
Also, would it be ideal to have a refuge siding located between the Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise tracks there?

Let me make sure I have some facts correct;
+ The inner circle is the Anti-Clockwise one?
+ The depot is on the outside of the circle?
+ Therefore, Anti-clockwise trains must cross over the Clockwise loop in order to access onto, and to return back from the Anti-Clockwise loop?

Yes to those three questions.

What I suggest in the way of a refuge siding at this location, is so a train entering/exiting the Anti-Clockwise loop, needs to get out of the way of the Anti-clockwise train behind it, but what if the exiting train is blocked while a Clockwise train runs past?

This refuge siding, an exiting train would enter it, wait for clearance to cross the Clockwise track, and already be clear of its Anti-clockwise loop. So, they can continu on as normal.

That would require constructing a new tunnel, which there likely isn't the money for. One would likely want to divert the Inner into a new tunnel to run around the current tunnel which would become the siding (there isn't space between the two to construct a siding there, I'm pretty sure). Once we have shorter signalling blocks, I think we get most of the benefit is gone anyway.

Haig paxton

@ Londonboi198o5 it it well known that Glaswegians and those who use the Subway have never referred to it as the Clockwork Orange. This is a misconception fueled by every media story concerning the system.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Engineering overrun.

http://www.spt.co.uk/2016/07/subway-suspension-update/

The contractor working on the essential renewal works of Glasgow Subway has now advised SPT that it requires extra time to complete the works.
Despite assurances, Colas Rail has now confirmed that due to a number of issues they will not be able to hand back the system at the agreed time. We are working with the contractor to identify a new return to service date which they have estimated to be about two weeks later than expected.
Acknowledging the extent of the work involved, SPT Assistant Chief Executive (Operations) Eric Stewart said:
“This is the most significant engineering aspect of the whole modernisation programme which is being built to last for another 40 years.
“This is a regrettable position and we are working with the contractor to pull back some of this lost time, as we endeavour to minimise any further disruption to our passengers.
“We apologise to all our passengers for this inconvenience.”

Closure now likely to be extended a further two weeks. Nothing new under the sun...

Last edited by a moderator:

sng7

Any refuge siding wouldn't be worth it anyway as if one of the circle is closed you can just take the other, it may take a little longer but you will get there.

londonboi198o5

On Moderation
@ Londonboi198o5 it it well known that Glaswegians and those who use the Subway have never referred to it as the Clockwork Orange. This is a misconception fueled by every media story concerning the system.

As a Glaswegian myself it has changed names that many times over the years it hard to keep up been called the subway the clockwork orange underground over the years it's present name is the subway lol

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I remember seeing on some ancient VHS on the history of the subway that it retained an unusual smell for most of its life due to the oil (whale?) used on the original cable hauled system. Is this still the case following the various upgrades?

Carntyne

No real problems since its still the school holidays for another three weeks.

Pretty big problem tbh, the football starts back and loads of events on. SPT have been doing well with the refurbishment, so it's disappointing to see them revert to type with an over-run.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
As a Glaswegian myself it has changed names that many times over the years it hard to keep up been called the subway the clockwork orange underground over the years it's present name is the subway lol

Subway, yes.
Underground, yes.

Clockwork orange - only by the tabloid press and non-locals who read it, never in my experience by Glaswegians.

In recent times I have occasionally heard younger locals refer to it as 'the Metro' or 'the Tube'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.