• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasses for Sat Nav/phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrossley

Established Member
My distance vision is still as good as ever, so I don't need glasses for driving. But now I need reading glasses. This means I can't see the Sat Nav well, or the phone when used for navigation. But reading glasses are no good as they make the distance fuzzy.

Are there any glasses I can get so I can see both the phone and the road?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jp4712

My distance vision is still as good as ever, so I don't need glasses for driving. But now as I need reading glasses. This means I can't see the Sat Nav well, or the phone when used for navigation. But reading glasses are no good as they make the distance fuzzy.

Are there any glasses I can get so I can see both the phone and the road?
Yes , search for ‘occupational lenses’ which are a bit like bifocals but ten times better. The upper part of the lens might be very weak indeed if your distance eyesight is still good, but the lower part is for reading etc. They take virtually no getting used to, if you’re put off by the thought of the old-fashioned bifocals these are hugely better.

johncrossley

Established Member
Yes , search for ‘occupational lenses’ which are a bit like bifocals but ten times better. The upper part of the lens might be very weak indeed if your distance eyesight is still good, but the lower part is for reading etc. They take virtually no getting used to, if you’re put off by the thought of the old-fashioned bifocals these are hugely better.

Cool, thanks. I guess these need to be custom made by the opticians. I was hoping to get through life just using off the shelf reading glasses.

david1212

Established Member
Also known as executive or e-line bi-focals ...

Bifocal lenses

The frame needs to be quite deep / tall, at least 30mm but I try to get 34 / 35mm.
For a first pair in advance you need to decide where the dividing line is e.g. trial and mark up an old pair plus accept the high street price. Try to surreptitiously find out your P.D. for both parts. After that you can get a reglaze much cheaper from an online supplier. My last was from the company linked above in less than a week when more like three weeks from the high street.

DelW

Established Member
Cool, thanks. I guess these need to be custom made by the opticians. I was hoping to get through life just using off the shelf reading glasses.
At one time in situations like that, I was able to use a simple pair of half-moon shaped reading glasses, so that when looking down I looked through the lenses, but looking straight ahead I looked over the top of them. I think mine were off-the-shelf from Boots opticians.

Unfortunately now I need distance correction as well, meaning varifocals are required. They're good but bespoke, so way more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.