• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glossop to New Mills Central, have I done something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlevel42

Using my Derbyshire Wayfarer recently I travelled on the X57 bus to Glossop.
I decided to catch the train to New Mills Central from where I could return to Sheffield.
I needed to buy a ticket.
The TVM eventually gave me a ticket for £6 00 with senior railcard.
I went in and out of the barrier at Piccadilly. The gate refused but the gate operator said OK.

Wishing to repeat the journey and to buy online I'm stuck.
I cannot buy a ticket from Glossop via Manchester Piccadilly to New Mills Central at all.
I can buy a ticket from Glossop via Manchester Piccadilly New Mills Newtown and 15 walk and pay extra.
I can make two changes at places in east Manchester for £6.

The ticket I previously bought was:
Anytime Day Single
Valid for one journey from Glossop to New Mills Central
Adult Standard Class with Senior Railcard
£6.00X
Nothing about route or restrictions.

Have I done wrong?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So the question is whether a Glossop -> New Mills Central route "Any Permitted" ticket (SDS) is valid via Manchester Piccadilly, or whether you are obliged to change at an intermediate stations such as Ashburys, or Guide Bridge/Romiley?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A Glossop to New Mills Central ticket is only valid changing at Guide Bridge as far as I can tell. There are easements allowing you to double back between Guide Bridge and Piccadilly if you are travelling to Stalybridge or beyond (as Huddersfield/Hull services do not stop between Piccadilly and Stalybridge), but that is not relevant to your journey.

There is no way that a passenger could realistically be expected to know this. Certainly, if it happens to be fastest to go via Piccadilly at the time you depart (which it currently often is, given the limited frequency of the Rose Hill Marple service), it would be quite unreasonable to suggest that you can't do that.

Veteran Member
Testing this on NRE (set to Avoid Piccadilly), the fare is not valid via Ashburys.
With the current timetable, the route via Guide Bridge offers a 57 minute wait at Romiley, which explains why this doesn't show up.

I doubt anyone would object to your changing at Ashburys (at least in the present situation), Piccadilly involves a double-back though.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Whilst Glossop - New Mills Newtown has preposterously overpriced “via Manchester” fares (£25.90 for a day return!) there are no such dedicated fares to New Mills Central.

That said, I personally would have no qualms using a Glossop - NMC ticket via Ashburys/Manchester as it’s a completely reasonable route and I can’t imagine any guard in a million years challenging it. Particularly given that changing at Guide Bridge can also involve a wait of 57 minutes (!) at Romiley.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presumably on a Derbyshire Wayfarer, depending on the time of the day (obviously!), it might have been possible to get the 61 bus from Glossop to New Mills via Hayfield, without any further fare being payable?

unlevel42

Presumably on a Derbyshire Wayfarer, depending on the time of the day (obviously!), it might have been possible to get the 61 bus from Glossop to New Mills via Hayfield, without any further fare being payable?
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is valid on the 61, is a lot quicker, has good views.
On the way to Buxton it goes via Bux(g)sworth which is a short walk to Chinley.
Despite all these attractions I wanted to go by train.

Thanks everybody

Llandudno

Established Member
The Derbyshire Wayfarer is valid on the 61, is a lot quicker, has good views.
On the way to Buxton it goes via Bux(g)sworth which is a short walk to Chinley.
Despite all these attractions I wanted to go by train.

Thanks everybody
Could you buy a concessionary TfGM Wayfarer, a bit more expensive at £9.70

unlevel42

Yes that is a possibility and I have used it several times on other trips.
I am interested more in exploring the potential of the new X57 service between Sheffield (past my house) and Glossop using the £6 70 Derbyshire Wayfarer and returning by a different route.
This is when I found the rail fare from Glossop to New Mills Central confusing.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Could you buy a concessionary TfGM Wayfarer, a bit more expensive at £9.70

Not valid all the way from Sheffield on the X57 bus, or beyond Grindleford on way back to Sheffield on the train, is it?

No, but the OP was querying ticketing between Glossop and New Mills Central.

Indeed. Greatest flexibility would be to buy both a GM Wayfarer to use together with a Derbyshire Wayfarer, but quite a bit of overlap in the middle and expensive too!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed. Greatest flexibility would be to buy both a GM Wayfarer to use together with a Derbyshire Wayfarer, but quite a bit of overlap in the middle and expensive too!

I always dreamed of a "Super Wayfarer" being offered that was valid in the combined areas!

Llandudno

Established Member
I always dreamed of a "Super Wayfarer" being offered that was valid in the combined areas!
Indeed, at £20 it would be fantastic!
But I guess it would have to be priced no lower than the off peak day return between say, Manchester and Derby.

Interestingly anyone aged over 60 can buy the Derbyshire Wayfarer for half price, unlike the TfGM version whereby only ENCTS cardholders are eligible for the concessionary version.

johnnychips

Established Member
The X57 is quite new. I asked for a concession fare to Mottram from Sheffield (I have a Senior Railcard but not an OAP free pass) which is about two miles into Greater Manchester and I was charged and given a Derbyshire Wayfarer concession ticket, which surprised me.

Status
Not open for further replies.