• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gloucester Station Car Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanL

There is a plan to make a disused car park on the north side of the station the new station car park. The existing car park will then not be available for parking for rail travellers - it will be used solely for taxis and short-stay and a new road exit.
According to operator APCOA the existing car park has 244 spaces - the new one will have only 220 spaces. This will increase the existing parking capacity problems for rail travellers especially as there is no mention of a differential charge in their favour at the new car park, which will be attractive to hospital visitors and workers.
In my opinion the existing car park should be left as it is with the new car park giving valuable additional capacity. IMHO they should be aiming for 350 spaces or more looking to the future. I have written to Richard Graham MP on this because he is one of the main promoters of the scheme - can I suggest that anyone else who feels strongly on this issue does likewise and any other action to raise the profile of this issue.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nick.c

There is a plan to make a disused car park on the north side of the station the new station car park. The existing car park will then not be available for parking for rail travellers - it will be used solely for taxis and short-stay and a new road exit.

Ian, Good news - I'm pretty sure the new 220 spaces are in addition to the existing 245. Richard Graham MP, the Council and GFirstLEP plus others have all worked together to achieve this much needed addition to car parking. The UK needs more of this joined-up thinking.

IanL

Thanks for your replies. I show below an extract from Richard Graham's e-Newsletter of March 2015.

"The changes at the other side of the station then open the way for our current car park to become a short term car park, and I'm exploring with the County Council options for an exit direct onto Metz Way, which would considerably improve traffic flows. You can see this clearly on the Roberts Limbrick drawing (above left), which also shows how an improved forecourt might look - a lot less cluttered, more attractive and easier for pedestrians and cyclists".

The Limbrick drawing isn't very clear but it appears to show the existing car park designated as "short stay" and an arrow pointing towards a new exit at the east end of the car park onto Metz Way.

The above letter was a year ago so perhaps these ideas have been shelved.

Status
Not open for further replies.