• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GM Day Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispo

I'm doing one of these tomorrow, but I live outside of the area.

Will I be able to buy my GMDR (along with regular ticket to the boundary, Orrell in my case) at my local station (Rice Lane)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
I would have thought so, but Orrell is unmanned anyway, so you can buy it on the train.

clagmonster

Established Member
Tony, I think you have misunderstood Krispo. His local station is Rice Lane, and the boundary station Orrell, is my reading. If that is correct, Rice Lane has a booking office, so assuming you travel during opening times, the should be able to sell you the rover. If they can't, you could always try again when interchanging at Kirkby.

Krispo

Tony, I think you have misunderstood Krispo. His local station is Rice Lane, and the boundary station Orrell, is my reading. If that is correct, Rice Lane has a booking office, so assuming you travel during opening times, the should be able to sell you the rover. If they can't, you could always try again when interchanging at Kirkby.

Yep, you read it correctly. It just depends on the ability/attitude of whoever is serving at Rice Lane. I never considered buying it at Kirkby if i can't at Rice Lane.

Established Member
yes, Ive had CRD`s from New street, you can buy your GMDR outside of the GMDR area, but only after 0900, if you arrive at one of the stations within the GMDR area at/after 0900 then buy it there

scrapy

Established Member
If staff are unfamiliar with the gm rover ticket the code for it is GM1. If you ask the conductor at Kirkby I'm sure they will sell you one.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
By GM Day Ranger, I assume you are refering to the GM Rail Ranger, this is valid after 0929 on weekdays (anytime w/ends, BHs). You should be able to buy it at Rice Lane.

The clerk can check the information on the GM Rail Ranger on the 'PTE Information' section of the FRPP (under 'Greater Manchester PTE area') and it is listed under 'G M Rail Ranger' on the fastis machine or in the Rail Rovers section under 'GM Rail Ranger'.

tony_mac

Established Member

My point was, that if Rice Lane can't sell the ranger (in a reasonable amount of time!), then he can just buy it on the train later on. As Orrell is unstaffed, it's ok to just stay on and buy it on the train (as you can't get off and buy it at the ticket office) and the guard there will be working the GMPTE area and is more likely to know how to issue it.

sarniasiren

I went to purchase a gmpte wayfarer two weeks ago, at Chorley.
It was about 09-16 they wouldn`t sell one until after 09-30!

Established Member

They cannot refuse to sell you a ticket at a particular time
just because the time you want to buy it is out of the travel timings

As long as they make the time restrictions of use clear i.e. it cannot be used til after 0930
then there should be no problems.

This applies especially so to a wayfarer, as there is no way of the individual knowing whether you are intending to use it immediately
or whether upon buying the product you are going to wait til after 0930 to use it that day or whether you are going to exit the station and use it within the period that the scratable date boxes cover (upto aproximately 3 years after purchase).

OwlMan

Established Member
They cannot refuse to sell you a ticket at a particular time
just because the time you want to buy it is out of the travel timings

As long as they make the time restrictions of use clear i.e. it cannot be used til after 0930

This applies especially so to a wayfarer, as there is no way of the individual knowing whether you are intending to use it immediately
or whether upon buying the product you are going to wait til after 0930 to use it that day or whether you are going to exit the station and use it within the period that the scratable date boxes cover (upto aproximately 3 years after purchase).

Especially as the Wayfarer is valid at all times Monday - Fridays for travel by bus, (the 0930 restriction only applies to trains & trams).

Peter

Lucky63

There has been a lot of confusion over the wayfarer i must admit. There is a train departing Chorley at 09:20 to Manchester Airport and possibly the staff have refused your wayfarer at 09:16 as passengers HAVE abused the time restriction in the past. I myself have got the 09:20 from Chorley and have personally witnessed people (usually the over 60's with a blue concessionary wayfarer) ask the guard if they are OK to get on the train even though it is only valid after 09:30. Also i might add that i was in the booking hall at Chorley not long ago when an elderly gentleman gave out some of the worst abuse i have ever seen because he was refused a wayfarer at 08:50 in the morning.
I know the exact procedure on what should happen. Wayfarers should be sold at ALL times on all but one occasion. This is when somebody requests a wayfarer who is travelling that day, should wait until the 09:20 departs which gives a whole SIXTEEN minutes before the 09:36 Hazel Grove service arrives.

D6975

Established Member
There has been a lot of confusion over the wayfarer i must admit. There is a train departing Chorley at 09:20 to Manchester Airport and possibly the staff have refused your wayfarer at 09:16 as passengers HAVE abused the time restriction in the past. I myself have got the 09:20 from Chorley and have personally witnessed people (usually the over 60's with a blue concessionary wayfarer) ask the guard if they are OK to get on the train even though it is only valid after 09:30. Also i might add that i was in the booking hall at Chorley not long ago when an elderly gentleman gave out some of the worst abuse i have ever seen because he was refused a wayfarer at 08:50 in the morning.
I know the exact procedure on what should happen. Wayfarers should be sold at ALL times on all but one occasion. This is when somebody requests a wayfarer who is travelling that day, should wait until the 09:20 departs which gives a whole SIXTEEN minutes before the 09:36 Hazel Grove service arrives.

I have had similar experiences at Kensington Olympia trying to buy an off peak travelcard. Usually they will refuse to sell you one until the last 'invalid' train has departed.

pemma

Veteran Member

Ticket machines seem to have strict time restrictions on. Once at 9:58 I tried to buy a YP discounted ticket from a ticket machine when the next train was at 10:07. I had to wait for the time on the machine to get to 10:00 before I could get one. Normally ticket office staff at small stations are happy to sell you an off-peak ticket as soon as the last peak train has departed. I'm not sure what happens at big stations when they can't keep track of when every train leaves.

You can also buy these by post. When there was a train scheduled to depart Northwich at 09:26 station staff were happy for passengers to buy a Wayfarer together with a single to Plumley (the first station the train called at after 09:30.) That was actually a bit annoying for the Northwich passengers because it was a 09:30 departure that got put back 4 minutes between October and December, then a couple of years later it became a 09:33 departure that got put back to 09:29 between October and December.

Established Member
Ticket machines seem to have strict time restrictions on. Once at 9:58 I tried to buy a YP discounted ticket from a ticket machine when the next train was at 10:07. I had to wait for the time on the machine to get to 10:00 before I could get one. Normally ticket office staff at small stations are happy to sell you an off-peak ticket as soon as the last peak train has departed. I'm not sure what happens at big stations when they can't keep track of when every train leaves.

I found this out for myself when I tried to buy a G M Evening Ranger at 1816 at Manchester Piccadilly yesterday, in readiness for using it on the first tram which turned up after 1830, However the guy in the ticket office refused to sell it me and said the rules were that he could not sell me one till 1830.

I then asked him the question what if someone wanted to get an Evening ranger to travel on a service departing at 1831
and after three attempts at getting a response to my question, he gave me the answer
"Tough, they'll have to get the next train".

If I had been wanting to travel on a train timed to depart at 1831, I probably would have gone and spoken to the conductor of the train,however I wanted to travel on the Metrolink so had no choice but to wait until 1830, thus missing any trams which departed between 1831 and the time I subsequently arrived on the metrolink platform.

I find this slightly unacceptable, as it's valid from 1831, yet I was being prevented from potentially using it as such.

If this was advertised as such on Leaflets and on the Nationalrail website then it would be acceptable,but it's not as if I haven't bought one at Stockport, around a similar time in the past and used it on an 1831 service.

On that occasion all they did was remind me of the restrictions and I stuck to them, as I have always done, since I have no intention of having to pay a standard fare, whether it be an Anytime ticket on a train or a £100 fare on Metrolink,simply because I did not buy or have a valid ticket.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I do vaguely recall that sort of instruction when I started on the railway in relation to off peak tickets, something about them not being sold until they could reasonable use them (eg after the last peak train had departed), but I haven't seen anything like that for years in written form (perhaps I've just not noticed it). I'd say it was against impartial retailing unless it was in the ticket's conditions anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.