• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GM Wayfarer - Wigan to Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Newton le Willows / Earlestown to Warrington Bank Quay is possible by rail on a GM Wayfarer, however.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That is quite odd given that journey is fully outside the TFGM borders........

No it's not - the whole point of the Wayfarer ticket is that fact it's validity extends far beyond GM, particularly into the Peak District.

NorthWestRover

Established Member
Thanks, you confirmed what I suspected. I thought I'd seen it written somewhere that it was explicitly excluded, but couldn't find it. I could see on the map it didn't appear to be allowed.

Llandudno

Established Member
I emailed the very same question to TfGM a couple of years back and they definitely confirmed that Wayfarer tickets were valid on the, then, Virgin direct trains between Wigan and Warrington BQ.

I didn’t believe them, so never tried it, I guess had I have done and the guard came round (unlikely in the 10 minutes between Wigan and Warrington) I would have shown him TfGM’s email ‘confirming’ availability!

chorleyjeff

That is quite odd given that journey is fully outside the TFGM borders........
It's valid well into Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire. It is a bargain ticket for Chorley, Lancashire, to Buxton, Derbyshire, and was even better when there were direct trains.

Llandudno

Established Member
It's valid well into Lancashire, Cheshire and Derbyshire. It is a bargain ticket for Chorley, Lancashire, to Buxton, Derbyshire, and was even better when there were direct trains.
When travelling in Lancashire by bus make sure you have the conditions of use handy on your phone, as some drivers think it’s only valid in Greater Manchester

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I emailed the very same question to TfGM a couple of years back and they definitely confirmed that Wayfarer tickets were valid on the, then, Virgin direct trains between Wigan and Warrington BQ.

I didn’t believe them, so never tried it, I guess had I have done and the guard came round (unlikely in the 10 minutes between Wigan and Warrington) I would have shown him TfGM’s email ‘confirming’ availability!
I think the bigger risk would be RPIs at either Bank Quay or North Western than getting gripped on the train.

ashworth

Established Member
When travelling in Lancashire by bus make sure you have the conditions of use handy on your phone, as some drivers think it’s only valid in Greater Manchester
I would have the terms and conditions handy even if travelling on a bus in Greater Manchester if your Wayfarer is purchased from a station and looks like a rail ticket. I had one a few years ago on the standard credit card style rail ticket and it had rail rover printed at the top. I had real problems with First Bus drivers in the Rochdale area and was twice completely refused travel as they insisted it was a rail ticket.

Established Member
I would have the terms and conditions handy even if travelling on a bus in Greater Manchester if your Wayfarer is purchased from a station and looks like a rail ticket. I had one a few years ago on the standard credit card style rail ticket and it had rail rover printed at the top. I had real problems with First Bus drivers in the Rochdale area and was twice completely refused travel as they insisted it was a rail ticket.
I've had that a few times. Eventually practically stopped using them, the aggro on buses being a big factor in that.

I remember one of the more reasonable drivers I had in Bury rejected it, politely in fairness, as it was a train ticket. Said it's valid on anything which he doubted, until I asked him how he thought I'd got to Bury. Then he accepted I must have been right had happily let me on.

One of the best experiences I've had with multimodal tickets was with an Explore North+Mid Wales rover on an Arriva bus in Chester. The driver had a decent look at it and then asked where I'd been with it as it looked good and he wanted one himself!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I've had that a few times. Eventually practically stopped using them, the aggro on buses being a big factor in that.

I remember one of the more reasonable drivers I had in Bury rejected it, politely in fairness, as it was a train ticket. Said it's valid on anything which he doubted, until I asked him how he thought I'd got to Bury. Then he accepted I must have been right had happily let me on.

One of the best experiences I've had with multimodal tickets was with an Explore North+Mid Wales rover on an Arriva bus in Chester. The driver had a decent look at it and then asked where I'd been with it as it looked good and he wanted one himself!

That was the benefit of when Wayfarers were printed as scratch-off tickets - they weren't mistaken as "train tickets"

M60lad

I remember in the past the Paypoint issued GM Wayfarer tickets used to be open to a bit of abuse as someone who I know when he was younger used to get a Paypoint issued GM Wayfarer regular and I was always surprised the distance he managed to get on it and I know he managed to get all the way to Sheffield and Derby on one he used to show it to the gateline staff at Derby Station and they would just wave him through, think the furthest he ever got on one without being challenged was Burton-On-Trent.

Statto

Established Member

I've had issues using the GM Wayfarer when brought from a rail station on buses too, the main problem is on the rail version the ticket has Rail Ranger printed on, so bus drivers think it's a rail only ticket, i've had same issue with the North & Mid Wales Day Ranger for the same reason.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Always find it handy to carry around a copy of the publicity leaflet when using a GM Wayfarer and similar multimodal day tickets as they invariably detail (i) the ticket boundaries and (ii) the names of the various rail and bus operators, on which the ticket can be used.

Nearest sales outlet for a GM Wayfarer for me is my local Co-op and the ticket is printed out on a short length of what looks like plain white till roll.

Haywain

Veteran Member
the main problem is on the rail version the ticket has Rail Ranger printed on, so bus drivers think it's a rail only ticket
The Rail Ranger is a different product that is not valid on buses, or on all the same rail routes as the Wayfarer. So the bus drivers were absolutely correct.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Rail Ranger is a different product that is not valid on buses, or on all the same rail routes as the Wayfarer. So the bus drivers were absolutely correct.

No they're not. A Wayfarer is valid on buses, regardless of what stock it is printed on.

Haywain

Veteran Member
No they're not. A Wayfarer is valid on buses, regardless of what stock it is printed on.
There is a separate product called a GM Rail Ranger. It is not a Wayfarer and not valid on buses. A Wayfarer carrying the words Rail Ranger is clearly not a Wayfarer!

roversfan2001

Established Member
There is a separate product called a GM Rail Ranger. It is not a Wayfarer and not valid on buses. A Wayfarer carrying the words Rail Ranger is clearly not a Wayfarer!
The Wayfarer is printed with the words “RAIL RANGER” in the bottom right corner (where “2-PART RETURN” is on a return ticket).

ashworth

Established Member
The Wayfarer is printed with the words “RAIL RANGER” in the bottom right corner (where “2-PART RETURN” is on a return ticket).
That was the problem I experienced about 5 years ago. My Wayfarer ticket looked like a rail ticket and had the words Rail Ranger printed on it. Most bus drivers accepted it, but if I got one who insisted it was a rail ticket and not valid on buses, they would not listen to any explanation and would not allow travel: I went into one of the Greater Manchester Travel Centres to report the problem after being refused travel by a First Bus driver. They were very sympathetic but could see the problem of some drivers being unfamiliar with a Wayfarer in this format. For the following day I got a paper ticket from the Travel Centre which had bus, train and tram printed on it.

Statto

Established Member

You missed the point GM Wayfarer is valid on trains buses & trams in the GM Wayfarer area, the issue with GM Wayfarers brought at stations they come printed with GM Wayfarer, but bottom right has Rail Ranger also printed on the ticket, same issue with other rail issued tickers valid on buses.

Haywain

Veteran Member
he Wayfarer is printed with the words “RAIL RANGER” in the bottom right corner (where “2-PART RETURN” is on a return ticket).
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this.
You missed the point GM Wayfarer is valid on trains buses & trams in the GM Wayfarer area, the issue with GM Wayfarers brought at stations they come printed with GM Wayfarer, but bottom right has Rail Ranger also printed on the ticket, same issue with other rail issued tickers valid on buses.
I only missed the point because you didn't explain it. As you may have gathered, I am aware of the existence of two different products but not familiar with how they look when they are printed.

Llandudno

Established Member
What chance have the poor bus drivers got, the TfGM Wayfarer covers a huge geographic area, with probably about 20+ bus operators accepting tickets, and I guess something like 2000+ bus drivers to train and retain knowledge.

I guess it would help if the tickets could be bought on board buses (like the Derbyshire ones can) as it may help awareness?

Status
Not open for further replies.