• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gmpte Disabled concessionary and Disabled persons railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul’s

I was just wondering who’s right or wrong on the following issues I had the other day.
I visited a main line station and explained I have purchased 2 ticket on TrainLine website for a set time to to Manchester to Edinburgh for Saturday , and return on the Tuesday. I asked for advise on which ticket do I need to purchase, to travel from Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly Station, he explained that my Gmpte card covers my travel. And I could purchase 2 singles for the other person traveling with me at a reduced rate due to me having a Disabled persons railcard. Which I thought would be fine , as it was recommended by a member of ticket staff. But while on the train. The ticket inspector, explained that the person traveling with had a incorrect ticket for the Person traveling with me. And should have to pay the correct ticket price. So basically, who was right, so I know for next time, the correct procedures.Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So in essence your question is whether the holder of the Disabled Railcard needs to have a Railcard discounted ticket in order for their accompanying passenger to make use of a Railcard discounted ticket?

The answer is, I believe, that this is not necessary.

janb

To quote iKB,

If the Disabled Persons Railcard holder is travelling on a Freedom Pass, Centro Concessionary Pass or any other concessionary pass offering free travel, they cannot use their Disabled Persons Railcard to buy a discounted ticket for an accompanying person.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
To quote iKB,

If the Disabled Persons Railcard holder is travelling on a Freedom Pass, Centro Concessionary Pass or any other concessionary pass offering free travel, they cannot use their Disabled Persons Railcard to buy a discounted ticket for an accompanying person.
The Railcard terms and conditions are not so clear about it (see Condition 8).

Clip

Established Member
In fact Condition 10 says this too

Disabled Persons Railcard discounts cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount - and I would say a concessionary pass is a discount of 100%

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The Railcard terms and conditions are not so clear about it (see Condition 8).

Looks pretty clear to me, where does it say that you don't have to have the a ticket but the person with you does? Certainly it confirms if they have a discounted ticket they must travel with you, but I can't see any other way to interpret that.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I realise that this isn't the Ts&Cs, but does the 'benefits' page (https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/) clarify matters?

If you're travelling with another adult they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare
(my bold)

If the accompanying person also gets 1/3 off their fare, then the card holder must have got 1/3 off their fare - so it's implicit that the card holder has paid a fare rather than used a pass.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
When the entire point of the rule is to enable a disabled passenger to be accompanied by someone who travels at the reduced rate too, it would seem extremely perverse for the accompanying passenger to have to pay full rate just because the disabled passenger has a concessionary pass.

Paul’s

Basically, if I travel on the gmpte area and use the railway, and use my concessionary disability card, and not use my Disabled person railcard, can the person travelling with still entitled to the 1/3 off, even if I am traveling on my concessionary card and not got paid for ticket..

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Basically, if I travel on the gmpte area and use the railway, and use my concessionary disability card, and not use my Disabled person railcard, can the person travelling with still entitled to the 1/3 off, even if I am traveling on my concessionary card and not got paid for ticket..
Quick answer? We don't know. @ForTheLoveOf thinks they should get the discount as the publicly available information isn't clear, @janb thinks they shouldn't as the railway's internal information is clear and says 'no'.

Veteran Member
When the entire point of the rule is to enable a disabled passenger to be accompanied by someone who travels at the reduced rate too, it would seem extremely perverse for the accompanying passenger to have to pay full rate just because the disabled passenger has a concessionary pass.
The rule allows a passenger using a Disabled Railcard discounted ticket to be accompanied etc..

https://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/

spells out the situation WRT Oyster as follows:
"If the Disabled Persons Railcard holder is travelling on a Disabled Person's Freedom Pass, they cannot use their Disabled Persons Railcard to buy a discounted ticket for an accompanying person."

and the GM pass is a similar case. I go with @janb.

Paul’s

Ok, thanks, so the next time someone travels with me, in the Greater Manchester travel boundaries. I am best buying a normal ticket, and not use the Disabled railcard reduced rate. And I travel on my concessionary pass card. Or would best I buy 2 tickets on my Disabled person card. Thanks

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Ok, thanks, so the next time someone travels with me, in the Greater Manchester travel boundaries. I am best buying a normal ticket, and not use the Disabled railcard reduced rate. And I travel on my concessionary pass card. Or would best I buy 2 tickets on my Disabled person card. Thanks

It's best for you to use your free travel, and whoever is with you to pay full fare.

Let's work an example, and assume that full fare is £3. If two of you travel WITHOUT any sort of discount, between you you will pay two fares of £3 - a total of £6.

If you travel using the Railcard for both of you, you each get 1/3 off - so you each pay £2, making a total of £4.

If you travel using your free pass, you pay nothing, but your companion pays full fare, which is £3. So between you, you pay £3 instead of the £4 when you both are covered by the Railcard.

Of course, there could be a problem if you are expecting your companion to pay their full fare, because you get all the benefits ( no fare at all) and they have to pay full price. But I don't think we can advise on that.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

But on that basis, the entire point of the Family Railcard and Two Together Railcard is for other people to travel with you, can you use a GMPTE (or whatever it is) pass and the other railcards too on your argument? If the GMPTE (or whatever it is) felt it necessary they could allow someone to travel with the too on that pass. But they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.