• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
Pity they don’t have the seat back tables.

Be a hard choice for my journey now. Both are on exceptionally uncomfortable seats.

Do i change at Finsbury Park or go direct. The change at Finsbury Park saves 10 minutes and hopefully the risk of not getting on board is reduced. Considering how uncomfortable the seats are on both the 700s and 717s. The time saving is a big bonus.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pity they don’t have the seat back tables.

Be a hard choice for my journey now. Both are on exceptionally uncomfortable seats.

Do i change at Finsbury Park or go direct. The change at Finsbury Park saves 10 minutes and hopefully the risk of not getting on board is reduced. Considering how uncomfortable the seats are on both the 700s and 717s. The time saving is a big bonus.

Neither does the 313s so it isn't like the regular commuters are having anything taken away they previously enjoyed.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
In defence of the 700 class , I treated myself for a ride Marylebone to Aylesbury via the Met , and back via High Wycombe last week on a very punctual and spotlessly clean 165 on both trains. I travelled SAC to West Hampstead on a standard class seat on a 700. (as a comparison)

Nothing to choose between a 165 and a 700 in my opinion , both seats - for an hours journey , rock hard.

bramling

Veteran Member
In defence of the 700 class , I treated myself for a ride Marylebone to Aylesbury via the Met , and back via High Wycombe last week on a very punctual and spotlessly clean 165 on both trains. I travelled SAC to West Hampstead on a standard class seat on a 700. (as a comparison)

Nothing to choose between a 165 and a 700 in my opinion , both seats - for an hours journey , rock hard.

The Chiltern. 165s have different types of seat - so it can depend on where one sits. The newer type of seat, as opposed to the “Networker” type originally fitted, slopes forward in an unpleasant way which I find becomes tedious after a while, as well as being quite hard as you say.

To be fair to the 700s (just for once won’t hurt!...) the first isn’t actually too bad, apart from the plastic feeling and smell which seems to pervade, and the way this seems to amplify noise.

Had they done standard with a similar setup to first, perhaps minus the armrests, and gone for something more plush in first (or omitted first altogether - bearing in mind the no.1 priority is supposedly capacity, not comfort nor revenue!) then it wouldn’t have been such a bad result.

Core loading times wouldn’t be an inhibitor if the peak tph was toned down just a little.

Failed Unit

Established Member
This really is a myth on the GN route. Last to fill by all means, but certainly not left unused. This has applied to 313s, 317s and 321s.

Yep. Another comment from someone that doesn’t actually use the route. Yes some would rather stand then use the middle seat. But then some would rather stand then use any seat on the 700s. Can’t say I have ever seen the middle seat unoccupied in the peak.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Of which almost all of them are vocal members of these forums...

Wow. I didn’t realise we had a forum meet on the 1721 Kings cross - Cambridge service tonight. Sorry guys I would have joined you standing if I had known. ;).

Joking aside. If i use the 700s. You probably have about 70 standing with about 30 seats free. Absolutely not everyone would get a seat. But many are preferring to stand then take a free seat. However I suspect that applies to most trains on most routes.

I am the opposite. Take great pleasure in getting someone to shift their bag / coat etc from the window seat that they are passive aggressively trying to stop people using.

Last edited:

tofl

I think whether people try to squeeze in somewhere to sit down depends on how far they are going. There were spare seats at Harringey this morning but a big crowd in the space where the doors are - quite possibly many where getting off next stop (Finsbury Park). I think it's courtesy to try and sit down if you're going more than one or two stops and there is limited standing room, and courtesy to move your bag without being asked if you can see the train filling up. One of the many things that makes commuting in the rush hour harder and harder to bear is the extent to which people do their own business and pay no heed to what is going on around them, and then get huffy or stroppy when asked to move along a bit.

simple simon

Exploring one of the new Great Northern Class 717 trains during a ride between Moorgate and Gordon Hill stations on a 'preview' journey which was prior to these trains entering full daily service.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hearing about an issue with signal sighting at a station, caused by the 717 stop board. Boaed has been taken down so I wonder if this will impact 717 services in the Moorgate direction?

aswilliamsuk

The preview service is running today - I'm on 717005, running about ten late.

The internal screens have now been updated and work - although erroneously show stops at Hornsey as it is fast FPK-AP.

Mouse

A video from me.

Nice vid :), Ill add one thing for you. I was on the 11:37 on Tuesday and did a wifi test as soon as we go past draton park. Results Working and Fast enough to web browse and e-mail check, but speed test provided 2mbit/2mbit on avg so i wouldn't expect streaming options right now.

vinnielo

I was on the 11:37 on Tuesday and did a wifi test as soon as we go past draton park. Results Working and Fast enough to web browse and e-mail check
Interesting! Did you also happen to try from within the tunnels?
Did you have to register or be presented with an intermediate splash page?

jon0844

Veteran Member
You will NOT get a data service in the tunnels as there's no provision in the tunnels or at the stations yet (even if the tube station platforms may have Wi-Fi). This is something that is going to be looked at, but for now once you leave Drayton Park for Moorgate that will be it.

You'll still have the Wi-Fi connection though!

Jack Timbrell

Is the PIS working correctly yet? I have only seen blank/incorrect screens and announcements saying it was stopping at stations I wasn't.

Mouse

Interesting! Did you also happen to try from within the tunnels?
Did you have to register or be presented with an intermediate splash page?

As mentioned above, no data once your in the tunnels at this time. As for access, its basically the same as Thames link's. After you connect go to your web browser (or your device may prompt you like my phone did) and click connect and your all set. I should note by clicking connect you are agreeing to the AUP/TOS of the service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Nice vid :), Ill add one thing for you. I was on the 11:37 on Tuesday and did a wifi test as soon as we go past draton park. Results Working and Fast enough to web browse and e-mail check, but speed test provided 2mbit/2mbit on avg so i wouldn't expect streaming options right now.

So suitable for folk to browse the internet but not hog all the bandwidth streaming & kindly sharing the latest noise (which some people might loosely define as music) to the remaining train. :lol:

samuelmorris

Established Member
So suitable for folk to browse the internet but not hog all the bandwidth streaming & kindly sharing the latest noise (which some people might loosely define as music) to the remaining train. :lol:
Alas, music streaming requires a trivial amount of bandwidth, only video streaming is likely to be hit by that.

superalbs

Established Member
For some reason, I decided to make an edit of a Class 717 into the red DB Regio livery, it's over on the 'slight' changes you would make to liveries thread, but I thought I would share it too, because it is a Class 717.
Class 717 in DB Regio livery.
51039940_777396009291748_4518840662417735680_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.