• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel1234321

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FOH

Another track circuit failure. These are getting so common at the moment.
Could it be the trains? I remember Bald Rick talking about 442s blowing track circuits in Southern land, away from London Bridge

Arkady

That looks right, and yes it was- though the internal signs said it wasn't in service! Loads of people on it. Left from platform 7.

Worth adding that I'm pretty sure there were people on it when it arrived at FP, so I wondered whether it had come from KX- I'd abandoned trying to cross from the Vic to the NCL at Hi&I just a few minutes earlier as the signs on platform 4 at NCL showed all the trains as delayed and the announcement said there was a broken down train so to use the Vic. I promptly did that, walked up the spirals at FP and chanced my luck on platform 8 trying to get to Harringay. As I arrived the 717 pulled up on platform 7... sadly running fast past Harringay. Then they started cancelling everything giving the shortage of driver and signal failure excuses to I ended up getting a bus. The trials of an NCL commuter...

BowesRanger

Signal failure on the NCL and/or a broken down train and/or shortage of drivers (all three excuses have been announced) has knackered the Moorgate service. Curiously 717002 just left Finsbury Park fast to Welwyn... was it scheduled or was it deployed early on a rescue mission?

I was caught up in that...the National Rail app also said person under a train between old st and Finsbury Park. Not a clue what actually happened

whoosh

Established Member
Was having a look yesterday at the position of the stop boards.

As Jon stated earlier the stop boards at WGC are at the extreme ends of the majority of platforms. Considering that the 717 will rarely go North it is odd. Let’s say you arrive at platform 1 (after coming from the flyover) Stop at the 717 board on a train that is returning south. The unit will be need to be moved south on the platform. However I could be missing something.

At Hadley wood the southbound fast line is on the unused part of the platform. So it will mean SDO....

Unlike the old 3, 6, and S car boards, where the train is stopped with the front of the train level with the board, the class 700 'RLU', 'FLU', and 'ALL' boards, along with the '717' boards are positioned to be lined up in the driver's view against the edge of the windscreen. This means some boards (particularly 717 ones on the right - 717s having a narrow view through the driver's windscreen) being off the end of the platform (such as Hadley Wood fast line you mention) and in many cases quite a distance from the old boards, even though the train may be destined to stop in the same place.

Last edited:

Class315

5J17 23:52 Hornsey EMUD - West Worthing Shed is a move booked every night commencing tonight until Thursday, which is booked to see the 717's currently stabled at Hornsey moved to West Worthing for warm storage. I don't know how many units will go at a time or if the move is to be duplicated at present.

petersi

5J17 23:52 Hornsey EMUD - West Worthing Shed is a move booked every night commencing tonight until Thursday, which is booked to see the 717's currently stabled at Hornsey moved to West Worthing for warm storage. I don't know how many units will go at a time or if the move is to be duplicated at present.
Does this mean that their full introduction is now on hold ?

choochoochoo

Established Member
The poor 313s are fading fast.

2044 to Welwyn GC was cancelled due 'to more trains than usual requiring repair' !!!

Those 717s can't come quick enough.

Railperf

Established Member
Yes...with the 14.37 cancelled i boarded a very tired looking and sounding pair of 313s instead.

marko2

The service was severely hosed to Moorgate this morning - another broken down train. As I was waiting, 3 car 313 got diverted to KX - so presumably the other unit of that had already broken down.

SouthernOne

No warm storage at West Worthing, the shed was knocked down several years ago.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The poor 313s are fading fast.

2044 to Welwyn GC was cancelled due 'to more trains than usual requiring repair' !!!

Those 717s can't come quick enough.

They are. But if you look at the cancellations so far this morning. They are all down to 700 failures. With my experience of the 700s I don’t expect to see much improvement once the 313s start going. The day is young of course and 313s could fail during the day it is just the 700s causing the problems at the moment.

Fincra5

Established Member

Providing they've overcome the issue of walkways for 717s. Obvs 700s you just walked through the train to the rear end ( not possible on 717 in 12car formation).

Class315

Providing they've overcome the issue of walkways for 717s. Obvs 700s you just walked through the train to the rear end ( not possible on 717 in 12car formation).

I’m unfamiliar with west worthing and the layout surrounding the sidings, however a single unit (025) went in the early hours. With 021 remaining in Ferme Park for now.

Supercoss

717 002 planned to move this Saturday morning from Cricklewood to Hornsey via St Pancras Low Level, early birds may view it reversing via platform ‘A’ Low Level around 9am (5Z80)
This will leave four sets stabled at Cricklewood

Malcolmffc

717 002 planned to move this Saturday morning from Cricklewood to Hornsey via St Pancras Low Level, early birds may view it reversing via platform ‘A’ Low Level around 9am (5Z80)
This will leave four sets stabled at Cricklewood

Are the 717s cleared to run anywhere on the Thameslink Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.