GN Class 717

Discussion in 'Traction & Rolling Stock' started by choochoochoo, 1 May 2017.

1. petersi

petersi Member

Or latter, possessions are programmed in quite a long time in advance
    And signalling engineers are busy people

2. andystock22

andystock22 Member

Anyone know when the next 717s will enter service and when weekend workings will comence?

3. Fred26

Fred26 Member

Probably when the timetable changes. I don't know if that will include weekends though.

4. choochoochoo

choochoochoo Member

Think they will be a while.

If they don't move the NCL signals, then GTR are going to have to find more signal sighters to make sure they can operate extra 717 services.

5. tofl

tofl Member

First ride on one tonight, Moorgate to Hornsey. First impression is that it's a definite improvement on 313 - quieter, smoother, brighter, cleaner, more even temperature, announcements working so people who get on at the last minute know where they are going, and people know when they are at Haringey which seems to confuse people otherwise, and above all when a big crowd got on at H&I they moved down into the aisles much more willingly than is the norm for the 313.
    All in all pretty impressive, only real blemish was that the information screens were stuck on a red signal.
    Will be happy when they are all rolled out.

6. OwenB

OwenB Member

This seems to be an issue on some 700s as well, either that or they sometimes say that the train is out of service. I presume it just needs a software upgrade of some sort across the whole fleet.

7. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I think there may be an update so some messages set by the driver time out, so if they forget it doesn't mean the screens show the red signal or not in service message until the end of time..

8. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Is it right that the NCL signals are being moved this weekend?

9. choochoochoo

choochoochoo Member

I haven't seen any notices saying it's happening. Where did you hear that ?

10. Fred26

Fred26 Member

That's what management are saying.

11. Class315

Class315 Member

After many weeks of speculation as to when Signal relocation was due to take place, I've seen an official brief stating that infrastructure at Moorgate, Platform 10 is due to be completed by Sunday and the work is expected to be completed by Friday 17th May. But I retain skepticism and will believe it when I see it although the author of the brief is highly credible.

I was looking through WON's expecting to see it in Section C, But the notice I've seen is an official driver' brief so expect to see it in your late notice case at your SOP shortly, it should be alongside the regenerative brake use notice.

12. choochoochoo

choochoochoo Member

Interesting. Brave move trying to change signal positions during limited downtime from last train to first train.

What was wrong with Platform 10 at Moorgate ? It seemed fine in a 717.

13. Class315

Class315 Member

Sorry, I've misread the notice. Work will be carried out on K341 which is Platform 9's starter signal.

K341 isn’t being moved as it can be seen comfortably, The Permanent Speed Restriction 'PSR' & Right Away ‘R’ box is being moved from the Right to the Left.
    I agree it is a brave move to carry out this week in such a short space of time, however, according to this week' WON, there has been commissioning work in the bores overnight.

I believe it needed to be done prior to the roster change next week, or else, I wonder if they would have pursued doing this work over the Late May Bank holiday.

14. Fred26

Fred26 Member

For anybody that isn't staff; once this work is done there will be no need for a second-man on the 717s, meaning more can be introduced. GTR are hoping to have all the 717s in by the end of August.

15. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Good news then!

Did much infrastructure work needed to be done on the Hertford Loop at all?

16. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

I suppose it's not viable to simply add co-acting signals (rather than risk moving fragile equipment), because there is no extra cabling back to the signaller for aspect proving?

17. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but I was passing Alexandra Palace yesterday morning on a Kings Cross service, and saw what appeared to be groups of GTR staff in hi-viz vests, being given some sort of training. They were on the down platform island in groups of 3 or 4.

18. OwenB

OwenB Member

This is good news. For all the chat about hard seats, etc, etc. These 717s should introduce the reliability (after inevitable teething troubles to start with) that the 313s do not have, with their frequent failures.

19. choochoochoo

choochoochoo Member

Looks like the first NCL signal has been moved. More signal relocations happening this week.

Can't believe they're actually being done.

20. daniel1234321

daniel1234321 Member

Yay!D you know when all are expected to be finished?

21. Class315

Class315 Member

According to the brief i’ve seen it’s scheduled to be completed on Friday.

But I must admit I didn’t see anything moved when I went in/out of the hole twice today, was pre-occupied when having to MASDO at Essex Road & Highbury.

22. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Passed by several 717s today, being stored at Cricklewood sidings

23. daniel1234321

daniel1234321 Member

Does that mean there's the potential for more 313 to 717 diagram conversions from the May Timetable change?

24. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

One signal has apparently been moved, out of five?

25. Class315

Class315 Member

Only 4 Signals were due to be resighted, as of start of traffic this morning 2 out of 4 have been moved. The first being K344, Old Street platform starter signal & overnight K350 Essex Road Platform starter signal was moved, both signals are on the Up Moorgate bore. With some signage infrastructure due to be moved at Moorgate Platform 9, but this has not been done as of yet.

The plan was to replace more carriage workings from after the May Timetable, I've heard various sources of how many 717's will enter and at what rate but as it's speculation not correct facts I consider it unfair to mention it just yet. But there will be some 717's either moving to a different storage location.

26. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

Just don't store them at Hertford North, at least until you've got Donald Trump to help build a wall...

27. daniel1234321

daniel1234321 Member

313s that have been taken out of service are being stored at HFN, there was 3 313 units there last time I went past. No 717 storage there that I'm aware of.

28. daniel1234321

daniel1234321 Member

deleted

Last edited: 16 May 2019
  29. OFFDN

OFFDN Member

Second signal was moved successfully last night.

The moving of signs at Moorgate is not instrumental in removing the need for a second driver, it was just convenient to do it.

30. ungreat

ungreat Member

I shall miss the 313s