• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BowesRanger

Was on the 16.37 from Bowes Park to Stevenage yesterday.

The overhead wires tripped off when we were at Cuffley, then again at Burford. After a while the driver came on a said it was our train causing the wires to trip.

After about 40 mins I gave up and got picked up by a cab. But the train didn't look like it was going anywhere. Anyone got any idea what the issue might have been?

Mcq

We stood at H North for nearly an hour till it emerged there wouldn't be any trains till at least 8:30pm - in practice I don't think anything ran via H North for the rest of the evening.
Unless it was a wires down issue, which I don't think it was, there needs to be a better method of rescuing a failed train.
As ever the longer the failed unit sits stationary, the more 'no drivers available' becomes the issue for the rest of the shift.
One failed train - how many cancelled as a consequence - 25+?
Small battery Thunderbird anybody - sitting in platform 4 GH (re-instated) keeping charged off the OLE?

Last edited:

BowesRanger

We stood at H North for nearly an hour till it emerged there wouldn't be any trains till at least 8:30pm - in practice I don't think anything ran via H North for the rest of the evening.
Unless it was a wires down issue, which I don't think it was, there needs to be a better method of rescuing a failed train.
As ever the longer the failed unit sits stationary, the more 'no drivers available' becomes the issue for the rest of the shift.
One failed train - how many cancelled as a consequence - 25+?
Small battery Thunderbird anybody - sitting in platform 4 GH (re-instated) keeping charged off the OLE?

How do they move one now? Get another unit to pull it to a siding?

Mcq

How do they move one now? Get another unit to pull it to a siding?
How long was the OLE off as that would preclude another OLE unit approaching.
I agree with you it poses some questions.
How does LUL deal with a failed tube and how long does it take - do they practice a routine?

BowesRanger

How long was the OLE off as that would preclude another OLE unit approaching.
I agree with you it poses some questions.
How does LUL deal with a failed tube and how long does it take - do they practice a routine?

From what I could tell, it was a fault with the train causing the power to trip (that's what the driver said at least), so not sure whether the power was completely off, or whether the train was just sat there unable to take power. The pantograph was down by the time I got picked up, so at that point it was just sat there unable to move.

Class315

Was on the 16.37 from Bowes Park to Stevenage yesterday.

The overhead wires tripped off when we were at Cuffley, then again at Burford. After a while the driver came on a said it was our train causing the wires to trip.

After about 40 mins I gave up and got picked up by a cab. But the train didn't look like it was going anywhere. Anyone got any idea what the issue might have been?

The unit was declared a failure and was rescued by another 717 service which terminated at Finsbury Park and ran as 1Z99 and rescued the failed unit, which was fully isolated. The units ran wrong direction from Bayford to Gordon Hill, which added to the delay minutes.

Drivers would obviously be displaced like they would in forms of disruption, a fresh unit was introduced in the carriage working circuit not long afterwards.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is funny how twitter users always assume it is 313 that has failed. “When will you get rid of these old trains”. The social media team could respond. “It is actually the new trains that keep breaking down.” (They don’t of course but it would be funny to put them assuming the 313s are the more unreliable in their place) All my delays last week were either 717 failures or driver shortages.

Last edited:

Mcq

It is funny how twitter users always assume it is 313 that has failed. “When will you get rid of these old trains”. The social media team could respond. “It is actually the new trains that keep breaking down.” (They don’t of course but it would be funny to put them assuming the 313s are the more unreliable in their place) All my delays last week were either 717 failures or driver shortages.
So it was a 717 that failed - the station chap at H N said he thought it was a 313

Class315

So it was a 717 that failed - the station chap at H N said he thought it was a 313

It definitely was a 717. As 717015 was working as 17:43 Moorgate to Watton at Stone service, where it was terminated and detrained at Finsbury Park, the unit became 1Z99 and rescued 717023 which had failed at Bayford. The units coupled up, as I previously mentioned in my earlier post and worked back to Hornsey EMUD as 5G00 at 5mph.

Mcq

Does that suggest that a better process from a customer perspective should have been found?
How about towing it to a HN siding and rescuing it after midnight instead of blocking out both lines for hours?
A bit more agile thinking and capability which does not compromise risk might be appropriate.

Railperf

Established Member
If anyone gets a chance to do so...can you please take a picture of or record the plated unit and vehicle weights for one of these please.
Many thanks in advance.

andystock22

Anyone got the latest class 717 diagrams? The one added last week and the one added today (according to GN Twitter).

Apparently there are now 14 717s in service today.

Class315

Coincidence? Bad batch of trains? Software upgrade?

The 717 was not the root cause of the loss of power, the Overhead line’s tripped in the section which brought a number of trains in the area.

daniel1234321

717013 has had a software upgrade. Now shows see it say it sorted and CCTV in operation on this train. No tube status yet.

tofl

People are still getting confused by the doors not opening, especially those on the platforms.

BowesRanger

People are still getting confused by the doors not opening, especially those on the platforms.

It does seem weird.. I know it's been said before, but the last carriage in its entirety is on the platform by an absolute country mile

jon0844

Veteran Member
I think it would be a 717 as it would be the 0754 from WGC.

What a great place to break down!

Class315

It was a 313 operated service that temporarily brought the NCL to a halt this morning; 717001 & 022 returned from Long term storage at Dollands Moor to Ferme Park late last night before coming over to Hornsey where they both remain in the sheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.