• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The needs of the travelling public have changed in 40 years. Yes, commuters would sacrifice a toilet for a short trip, but what about the other passengers who would like to use the service at other times ? Not all passengers are blessed with massive bladders and well-behaved bowels.

Not to mention that with walk-through carriages there's going to be less places discrete urination.
Indeed, and with the population get older there's probably a greater need for toilets than ever.

It seems strange that everyone on the train has to do without a toilet just so a handful of extra people can be squeezed on on those few trips where the space that would have been taken up by a toilet or two is needed for passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do we have to go through this arguement every time someone procures a new metro fleet?

choochoochoo

Established Member
Do we have to go through this arguement every time someone procures a new metro fleet?

Ok, so don't put a toilet on board. But then make toilets available at each station.

And why take it out when the 717 is essentially a modified 700 that did have one ? I would've thought commonality in carriages would reduce operating/maintenance costs.

I look forward to trains being taken out of service because of bodily fluid in passenger carriages. You can't even lock out affected carriages on a 717.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Nothing is being taken out. The 717s are a different train to the 700s, running services more akin to London Underground S-Stock. How frequent are soiling incidents on the class 313s?

The 717 is not a "modified 700". It is a Desiro City, like the 700, but ordered with a different specification appropriate to the line they are to be used on.

APUK002

Ok, so don't put a toilet on board. But then make toilets available at each station.

And why take it out when the 717 is essentially a modified 700 that did have one ? I would've thought commonality in carriages would reduce operating/maintenance costs.

I look forward to trains being taken out of service because of bodily fluid in passenger carriages. You can't even lock out affected carriages on a 717.
Can’t close off carriages? I thought there is a deyployable door thing,aswell as locking the releavant external doors via tms/key so they don’t open on door release?

bramling

Veteran Member
The needs of the travelling public have changed in 40 years. Yes, commuters would sacrifice a toilet for a short trip, but what about the other passengers who would like to use the service at other times ? Not all passengers are blessed with massive bladders and well-behaved bowels.

Not to mention that with walk-through carriages there's going to be less places discrete urination.

The Hertford services get extremely busy during the peaks, and not just the peaks but the peak shoulders. Personally I'd rather have the extra capacity.

Also note that these units won't be operating services quite as long as today -- from May they won't be going north of Stevenage, apart from ECS from/to Letchworth sidings.

Domh245

Established Member
Can’t close off carriages? I thought there is a deyployable door thing,aswell as locking the releavant external doors via tms/key so they don’t open on door release?

There don't tend to be many mid train doors - there certainly isn't one between each and every vehicle. And it's all well and good being able to disable external doors from releasing, but no good if people can just walk into the 'closed' vehicle through the gangways!

choochoochoo

Established Member

The first class compartments on 700s can be locked out. Not sure if 717 will have first class. If more space on metro stock in lieu of a toilet is needed then I doubt it will.

There are screen doors in carriages at each end, but depending on what section needs blocking off it could severely restrict capacity.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
No 1st class on the 717s. There isn't on the 313s they replace either.

The routes the 717s will operate over are proper inner-suburban - think Metropolitan line but not quite as far.

rebmcr

Established Member
Yes, commuters would sacrifice a toilet for a short trip, but what about the other passengers who would like to use the service at other times ? Not all passengers are blessed with massive bladders and well-behaved bowels.

The off-peak passengers are enjoying a service as a side-benefit that would not even exist if not for the commuters' needs. Not too long ago, this line in particular did not operate at all on weekends!

NSEFAN

Established Member
The off-peak passengers are enjoying a service as a side-benefit that would not even exist if not for the commuters' needs. Not too long ago, this line in particular did not operate at all on weekends!
I'm pretty sure that off-peak trains have always run up to Welwyn GC and to Stevenage via Hertford. Those sections are somewhat longer than the section down the Northern City line to Moorgate and arguably in greater need of on-board toilets.

Nevertheless I agree with other posters that toilets will not be fitted, given the need to cram in as many passengers as possible.

Domh245

Established Member
There's a few journos (and 717s) at Wildenrath today:

DcLSzefW0AAXpJb.jpg:large

DcL0L-1XUAAh1qW.jpg:large

DcL-KSrX0AYpnBh.jpg

DcL-IdsXUAALBeV.jpg

And now in time honoured forum tradition, it's time for the thread to devolve into pages upon pages of seat complaints.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
And now in time honoured forum tradition, it's time for the thread to devolve into pages upon pages of seat complaints.

That plastic covering is not going to be very comfortable! :lol:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I thought they were getting tables. Maybe they'll be retrofitted (they're bolted on to existing seats aren't they?).

Tubeboy

Are the cab windows the same as the 385s? They look it to my post night shift untrained eyes.

LewisT

Are the cab windows the same as the 385s? They look it to my post night shift untrained eyes.
To me, the windows are nowhere near as angled, and these are manufactured by Siemens, not Hitachi like the 385s are.

gazr

I like the way the sidings go over a footpath into a wall... Health and safety must be a bit different over there!

jon0844

Veteran Member
To me, the windows are nowhere near as angled, and these are manufactured by Siemens, not Hitachi like the 385s are.

I assume someone has checked you don't see signals two or three times?!

gazthomas

Established Member
Okay then... The switch from 3+2 to 2+2 means I'll never get a seat in the morning peak again. Grumble grumble.

Siemens have a press release at http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/news_pr...thern-fleet-moves-closer-as-siemens-tests.htm

Video of the proboscis unfolding at https://twitter.com/ellen_schramke/status/991649042546544640
But so much room to stand! At Finsbury Park I've squeezed myself in on so many occasions I'm surprised I survived. I've almost fainted before but you'd never know as there was never any space to collapse!

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
But so much room to stand! At Finsbury Park I've squeezed myself in on so many occasions I'm surprised I surprised. I've almost fainted before but you'd never know as there was never any space to collapse!

Yes 2+2 will be very welcome on this route, the loss of the 2 middle cabs will be as well. I suspect the actual number of seats will not be that large when you consider how much room the cabs take up on the 313s.

As for the tables, never really had them on this route, not even the pearch the 317s had. I am sure seatback tables would be welcome, another contract variation and large cost rather than getting it right first time?

Status
Not open for further replies.