• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Team Defect

2G92 ran today, this was the first 717 'in service' run. More of a box ticking run to say a unit went into service. Ran Fast from Moorgate to Gordon Hill. A grand total of 1 real passenger and a load of GTR managers on board. Unit ran around 17 mins late due to minor issue of not enough track circuit clips on board and a points failure just outside the depot.

2G96 this was cancelled at the last minute due to a cab door fault. This was also due to run in service, again Moorgate fast to Gordon Hill.

jon0844

Veteran Member
If people had known sooner I expect it would have been full of spotters!

APUK002

2G92 ran today, this was the first 717 'in service' run. More of a box ticking run to say a unit went into service. Ran Fast from Moorgate to Gordon Hill. A grand total of 1 real passenger and a load of GTR managers on board. Unit ran around 17 mins late due to minor issue of not enough track circuit clips on board and a points failure just outside the depot.

2G96 this was cancelled at the last minute due to a cab door fault. This was also due to run in service, again Moorgate fast to Gordon Hill.
Oooo,kool

whoosh

Established Member
How do you think the ATO is being done if not?

No one apart from Testing & Commissioning Drivers are trained on ATO yet. The solitary run in passenger service had one of these at the helm.
Manual driving only at the moment for everyone else until the training for ATO/ETCS starts, probably next year.

BlyRF

Latest vid I found on YouTube by a user from the 25th:

And further to add, some latest pics I took from my local commute home from Highbury & Islington:

Attachments

• 995763EB-18F5-443D-AE7D-9016058CD734.jpeg
    995763EB-18F5-443D-AE7D-9016058CD734.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • DC1E5513-D81B-4CD3-AA74-AFC0D0607F1D.jpeg
    DC1E5513-D81B-4CD3-AA74-AFC0D0607F1D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127

BlyRF

Latest vid I found on YouTube by a user from the 25th:

And further to add, some latest pics I took from my local commute home from Highbury & Islington:

And just to explain the above attached pics, my reasoning behind the white painted background could be done to GTR finally realising the contrast between new trains and older infrastructure design, so it’s a sign of good things to come (unless if you found this as one of their “cheap” station refurbs) lol

choochoochoo

Established Member
Will there be a 717 sim at Hornsey too ? Or is the plan to train all drivers on 700s and convert them to 717 drivers with 2 day course ?

BlueHorizonUK

Does anyone know if we are going to lose the 8 carriage trains from Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City when these 717s come into service? Or are they keeping them both and Great Northern is from Moorgate and it remains as Thameslink from Kings Cross?

Thanks

hwl

Established Member
Does anyone know if we are going to lose the 8 carriage trains from Kings Cross to Welwyn Garden City when these 717s come into service? Or are they keeping them both and Great Northern is from Moorgate and it remains as Thameslink from Kings Cross?

Thanks
8 cars will go though Thameslink Core rather than to Kings Cross (eventually)

Failed Unit

Established Member
8 cars will go though Thameslink Core rather than to Kings Cross (eventually)

Current plan is May 2019 for this. (Won’t bet any cash on it)

We should also see the 2 extra services on the Moorgate - Hertford route then. Hopefully taking the timetable to closer to what was in the consultation. Not sure if Hadley wood will be happy to lose its service to KX but I am sure other places on the WGC branch will be glad to return to 4tph in the peak. (Rather than 2)

Julian G

Established Member
717003 is out on the driver training, it ran ECS from Moorgate-Gordon Hill.

Saw pictures earlier in the week of 2 more arriving in the UK - one mentioned as being 717004

Class315

717010 was the other unit delivered on Wednesday, was unable to see 004 when coming over the flyover on Friday evening due to failing light and the 66 and barrier coaches obscuring the view.

In semi-related 717 news station staff in the Finsbury Park & Northern City line group start their familiarisation training on the units from Monday Morning.

Aictos

Established Member
717010 was the other unit delivered on Wednesday, was unable to see 004 when coming over the flyover on Friday evening due to failing light and the 66 and barrier coaches obscuring the view.

In semi-related 717 news station staff in the Finsbury Park & Northern City line group start their familiarisation training on the units from Monday Morning.

I guess that also would eventually apply to Welwyn Garden City, Gordon Hill, Hertford North and Stevenage station staff too as they are turnback locations in regular service.

Fred26

I guess that also would eventually apply to Welwyn Garden City, Gordon Hill, Hertford North and Stevenage station staff too as they are turnback locations in regular service.

It'll apply to all stations that 717s will call.
Those listed, plus Watton-at-Stone, will be the priority, but all platform staff along the routes will need to know how to shut the train down, etc.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Some staff have already had their training for 717s. It's a few hours at most, given there's very little difference between a 717 and 700. Note I'm talking platform staff, not drivers!

Status
Not open for further replies.