• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I found the train broadly the same as the 700 in terms of ride. We know the seats are hard, but kinda got over it. A massive improvement over the 313s once more are rolled out.
We will have to agree to disagree;)

It is a pity the lessons from the poor environment on 700 were not learnt and improved. .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwenB

We will have to agree to disagree;)

It is a pity the lessons from the poor environment on 700 were not learnt and improved. .
Oh don't get me wrong, the lay out of the seats and the lack of legroom are still absolutely laughable.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I don't think so. The 'ironing boards' are perfectly comfortable to me and the 313 doesn't exactly have deep sprung seats either. I think it's the suspension itself that's harder.

It isn't too bad (better than a 387), but also sort of disappointing that it doesn't match a 313 for ride quality.
The PEP units all ride pretty well. Much better than 455s, to use one example.

Failed Unit

Established Member
1800 Moorgate - WGC more civilised but losing time. At Finsbury Park but no idea why.

The audio announcements work, but the CIS is blank.

717006 performance today shows how fragile GN is unable to recover from a 10 minute delay with many skip stops during the day. 717005 (which I am on) has done fine today.

You can certainly see why they are taking things slowly. Not sure what caused the delay to the 1800. But if it was lack of familiarity then best ramp up slowly.

Doesn’t seem to have as many extras on it compared to this morning. That is considering it left Finsbury Park so late passengers for the 1815 may also be onboard.

class387

Established Member
The PEP units all ride pretty well. Much better than 455s, to use one example.
The 717s are worse in my opinion than all BR units, and Desiro Classics too. 313s and 455s can sway a lot at speed, but the 717 has a harsh jolt rather than a gentler sway.

One other thing to note: The 717s have different door sounders to the 700s, having the louder type as installed on 345s.

Glen M

1800 Moorgate - WGC more civilised but losing time. At Finsbury Park but no idea why.

717006 performance today shows how fragile GN is unable to recover from a 10 minute delay with many skip stops during the day. 717005 (which I am on) has done fine today.

You can certainly see why they are taking things slowly. Not sure what caused the delay to the 1800. But if it was lack of familiarity then best ramp up slowly.

Doesn’t seem to have as many extras on it compared to this morning. That is considering it left Finsbury Park so late passengers for the 1815 may also be onboard.
My guess would be just the amount of trains stacking up as a result of 717006 running so late, by the time I got to FPK everything was sliding behind.

Failed Unit

Established Member
My guess would be just the amount of trains stacking up as a result of 717006 running so late, by the time I got to FPK everything was sliding behind.

Probably. I was going to bail out and get the 1821 instead. Glad I didn’t. It is stuck behind me.

Seems to be quicker start / stop then the 313 but not really recovering much. Stopped further back at Brookmans Park but I am in coach 1 so don’t know if SDO was used.

Other than that can’t really tell that you are not on a 700.

mongoose

Probably. I was going to bail out and get the 1821 instead. Glad I didn’t. It is stuck behind me.

Seems to be quicker start / stop then the 313 but not really recovering much. Stopped further back at Brookmans Park but I am in coach 1 so don’t know if SDO was used.

Also in Coach 1 of the 1800 this evening. Acceleration was good but just as we reached top speed had to start braking for the next stop. Better when the stations spread out further north, but as you say didn't recover much time if any.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like one of them has failed on 2G40 (1855 to Gordon Hill) at Moorgate

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Yes 717005 has been on time. I managed a return trip to Welwyn GC and Watton On Stone aboard it. It seemed to lose time on the Northern City Line. But made up most of the lost minutes North of Cuffley where there are fewer stops than usual.
Last time I checked 717006 had ommitted a few stops on the way back from Hertford North and was down to 9 late at Bowes Park heading in to Moorgate.
I remember when the 700s first started to appear on some of the semi-fast off-peak services I used from Welwyn Garden City to London. People I assume to be occasional travellers boarding at Hatfield and Potters Bar commented favourably on the bright, clean and spacious interiors (and the fact the trains were ‘longer than the old ones’). I wonder how people boarding at Hadley Wood and stations south thereof felt about the new trains? Occasional travellers would, presumably, be happy to have a ‘modern’ train, rather than one that’s over 40 years old?
I must confess, having boarded a WGC-Kings Cross service last Saturday that was formed with a Class 365, that I found the interior felt a little cramped and slightly claustrophobic now, after getting used to the 700s. I imagine the 313s will feel similarly cramped as more and more services become 717 diagrams..

OwenB

Passenger alarm was pulled apparently (maybe not on this train). Left a few minutes late and was holding the 3 or so minutes late until the approx 10 min delay because of the alarm.
pbs_twimg_com_media_D2hx_7DWoAcM.jpg

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 717s are worse in my opinion than all BR units, and Desiro Classics too. 313s and 455s can sway a lot at speed, but the 717 has a harsh jolt rather than a gentler sway.

One other thing to note: The 717s have different door sounders to the 700s, having the louder type as installed on 345s.

There's a bright red light in the ceiling too.

Railperf

Established Member
Also in Coach 1 of the 1800 this evening. Acceleration was good but just as we reached top speed had to start braking for the next stop. Better when the stations spread out further north, but as you say didn't recover much time if any.
Acceleration is very good indeed, though not quite on a par with a 700. Drivers are still getting used to the brakes - and new braking points - probably because they are travelling much faster than usual, and therefore braking earlier. On my evening run to Welwyn GC the driver clearly had a driver manager in attendance and was happy enough to use the acceleration, but the braking was very cautious, usually braking to 30mph and then easing off approximately 10 to 15 seconds before each platform ramp. And then very easy braking to a standstill. I haven't worked out yet how much time is gained by the superior acceleration yet, but a lot of the time advantage appears to be lost under braking!

332 > 444

Acceleration is very good indeed, though not quite on a par with a 700. Drivers are still getting used to the brakes - and new braking points - probably because they are travelling much faster than usual, and therefore braking earlier. On my evening run to Welwyn GC the driver clearly had a driver manager in attendance and was happy enough to use the acceleration, but the braking was very cautious, usually braking to 30mph and then easing off approximately 10 to 15 seconds before each platform ramp. And then very easy braking to a standstill. I haven't worked out yet how much time is gained by the superior acceleration yet, but a lot of the time advantage appears to be lost under braking!

It's best for drivers to keep the same braking points at least until they are well used to them, I try to come in the platforms at 23-25mph for 6 car platforms and 30mph for 8 car platforms. I was taught to brake from early in step 1 but it's hard to gauge what's step 1 in a stepless brake design. The 18:15 to WGC was late due to the previous late trains and then it showed a back cab door egress was pulled so that had to be investigated.

choochoochoo

Established Member
It's best for drivers to keep the same braking points at least until they are well used to them, I try to come in the platforms at 23-25mph for 6 car platforms and 30mph for 8 car platforms. I was taught to brake from early in step 1 but it's hard to gauge what's step 1 in a stepless brake design. The 18:15 to WGC was late due to the previous late trains and then it showed a back cab door egress was pulled so that had to be investigated.
Can you not use 40% braking effort as step 1 and 60% as step 2 as a guide, as on 700s ?

Railperf

Established Member
what sort of brake gauges are on these? are they similar to the older stock? And if so, can you use that as a guide?

BowesRanger

We were on the same train...8-)

Was a bit worried at Finsbury Park... Also did you notice people on the platform looking baffled at what had terned up, clearly not convinced it was their train?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Besides the 100mph gaffe, I think the article is mostly accurate. It's clearly based on the GTR press release though.

I notice the local press got the same 100mph error too.

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
These could easily have had class 378 style Interiors had tfl been in charge

Think these will be liked with seat firmness hardly mattering for very short metro journeys

387star

On Moderation
700s have very g
I remember when the 700s first started to appear on some of the semi-fast off-peak services I used from Welwyn Garden City to London. People I assume to be occasional travellers boarding at Hatfield and Potters Bar commented favourably on the bright, clean and spacious interiors (and the fact the trains were ‘longer than the old ones’). I wonder how people boarding at Hadley Wood and stations south thereof felt about the new trains? Occasional travellers would, presumably, be happy to have a ‘modern’ train, rather than one that’s over 40 years old?
I must confess, having boarded a WGC-Kings Cross service last Saturday that was formed with a Class 365, that I found the interior felt a little cramped and slightly claustrophobic now, after getting used to the 700s. I imagine the 313s will feel similarly cramped as more and more services become 717 diagrams..
700s are spacious and have very generous luggage racks compared to a 377
They are better with stand by lighting at night but it is driver discretion to use this

OwenB

Info screens off this morning and no announcements. Long wait at Drayton Park too, maybe they're being careful with the switch in power supply.
20190326_054438.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.