• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the only one noticing this. I feel sorry for the platform staff. But last week Moorgate was very hot. Us passengers just get on the train so not down as long.

I assume trains arriving into Moorgate stop at pretty much exactly the same place every time. I also assume that the location on the trains where the hot air is exhausted is known. Would it therefore be possible to fit some sort of vent or pipe onto the platform (or hung from the ceiling or whatever), so that when the train arrives, the hot air exhaust from the air conditioning lines up with the vent and so the air gets exhausted through the pipe (and thence outside) instead of being exhausted into the station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fred26

I assume trains arriving into Moorgate stop at pretty much exactly the same place every time. I also assume that the location on the trains where the hot air is exhausted is known. Would it therefore be possible to fit some sort of vent or pipe onto the platform (or hung from the ceiling or whatever), so that when the train arrives, the hot air exhaust from the air conditioning lines up with the vent and so the air gets exhausted through the pipe (and thence outside) instead of being exhausted into the station?

Yes, probably.
But that won't happen. Nobody wants to pay for anything on the NCL. It might as well be a branch line in the middle of the countryside for all the attention it gets.

tofl

I've noticed Moorgate being warmer recently. There are new wall tiles at Moorgate, but yes in general the NCL stations and NCL parts of TFL stations are pretty neglected. I find the lack of Wifi at H&I irritating given that it works on the Victoria Line platform across the way. At least there you have the option to move across - at Old Street and Moorgate you are stuck.
The 717s seem to have got cooler, which is welcome. They seem about right to me now - if you're hot then initial fridge effect is lovely but probably not that good for you in reality. Better to cool down gradually.
The service generally seems to have settled down a bit, though there are still too many cancellations on weekends when the service is already less frequent. Do any TOCs employ enough drivers or do they all rely on volunteered overtime to meet their schedules?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Essex Road gets new tiles soon I hear, followed by Old Street, and isn't at least Moorgate getting Wi-Fi on the platform soon?

Fred26

Essex Road gets new tiles soon I hear, followed by Old Street, and isn't at least Moorgate getting Wi-Fi on the platform soon?

Who knows? I think they were planning to piggy-back on LU wi-fi. They have had some installation, though I think that's for use of the 717s - the trains themselves rather than passenger use. As far as I know it isn't active yet anyway.

tofl

The few times I have tried to use 717 Wifi I have found it unusable. But then I don't remember any train Wifi anywhere being any good. And I am not talking about streaming HD video here - just casual browsing. Have I just been unlucky?

The few times I have tried to use 717 Wifi I have found it unusable. But then I don't remember any train Wifi anywhere being any good. And I am not talking about streaming HD video here - just casual browsing. Have I just been unlucky?
Should work on 717s, apart from Drayton Park to Moorgate - worth reporting it, if you have issues on rest of line.

tofl

Should work on 717s, apart from Drayton Park to Moorgate - worth reporting it, if you have issues on rest of line.
Thanks. It worked, but was impossibly slow. The 4G coverage on the line to Hertford is pretty patchy but I don't think that's the whole story because when I switched Wifi off I had more luck. The train was busy so suspect there's just a lot of contention for limited bandwidth. TBH I am more bothered about no Wifi in stations on the NCL - it would be handy to check out other options/notify people of lateness when there are delays.

andystock22

With 2 313s sent to scrap in Newport yesterday and 2 313s being sent to Booths scrap yard in Doncaster tommorow evening.

Are there any new class 717 diagrams this week? For the last few weeks they've had 10 diagrams on weekdays and 4 diagrams on Saturdays.

jon0844

Veteran Member
There are two more this week I think. I asked about them and was told that they should all be running by the end of August.

swat

Was on Moorgate platform 9 today, 717 in. It was toasty down the far end - and that was with a 313 on the other side. I dread to think how hot it’s going to be with 2x 717s. They’ll have to do something I reckon....

jellybaby

I dread to think how hot it’s going to be with 2x 717s. They’ll have to do something I reckon....
I can't imagine any new tunnels being dug for vents. The space above the platforms isn't exactly available.

If the platforms get too hot I'd expect the trains to be reprogrammed to not run the air conditioning when on DC power.

If the platforms get too hot I'd expect the trains to be reprogrammed to not run the air conditioning when on DC power.

I thought they might have this function from delivery, since there's a total correlation between AC/open air and DC/tunnel. But, guess not <shrugs>

jellybaby

Disable it when it’s idle at Moorgate with doors open?
The doors at Moorgate auto close at present.

Can the air conditioning run in a ventilate but not cool/heat mode? Although the problem with that is you exhaust all the cool air into then tunnels.

hwl

Established Member
The general Moorgate ventilation / heat situation should improve a little when the Crossrail station opens.

Railperf

Established Member
Rail magazine reporting a further nine six-car 717's either stored at various depots, undergoing testing and commissioning, or awaiting acceptance.

aleggatta

Rail magazine reporting a further nine six-car 717's either stored at various depots, undergoing testing and commissioning, or awaiting acceptance.
I thought I read on here that they had all been accepted and completed fault free running before going into warm storage, so theoretically only requiring a fitness to run exam and any time based exams and they are good for service?

Status
Not open for further replies.