GNER "brown" and "grey" 1ST interiors

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLJR

When I first started travelling on GNER the 125s had what you might call a "brown" interior with table lamps.

The 225s had a "grey" interior.

"Mallard" interiors were introduced from late 2003 and are only just starting to be replaced now. The "Mallard" has lasted a respectable 13 years.

Now the 225 was introduced in approximately 1990 so am I right in assuming that what I call the "grey" interior was the original BR 225 interior?

And when was the "brown" interior introduced? I always thought that it looked much older than the "grey".

Many thanks in advance for insights!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marklund

Now the 225 was introduced in approximately 1990 so am I right in assuming that what I call the "grey" interior was the original BR 225 interior?

Yes, that's correct.

And when was the "brown" interior introduced? I always thought that it looked much older than the "grey".

After GNER took over in 1996, the "executive" era interior (the second interior fitted to HST stock), was replaced.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ah... the brown HST interior... I absolutely loved that; pity they got rid of it. It really said "quality and tradition" didn't it?

Yew

Established Member
I (being in my 20's) have never noticed the smoked glass/plastic partitions in the carriages, I wonder if they could be interesting to have in some modern stock

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I (being in my 20's) have never noticed the smoked glass/plastic partitions in the carriages, I wonder if they could be interesting to have in some modern stock

Those were only fitted in the Mk 4s; I never liked them as they were staggered rather than adjacent to each other and that just didn't look right somehow.

Marklund

Ah... the brown HST interior... I absolutely loved that; pity they got rid of it. It really said "quality and tradition" didn't it?

Yes - I think it was better than the Mallard refurbishment for ambiance.

The first class 225 original was very much of it's time, and was very dated by the time Mallard came along. Standard was very spartan by contrast to first.

Established Member
Standard was very spartan by contrast to first.

I always thought that the original seats in mk4 Standard coaches looked very similar to the front seats fitted to a mk1 Nissan Micra. Both were, or are, spartan means of transport from the same era.

Last edited:

Clansman

Established Member
The greatest interior and customer service I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Can't beat those big brown lights. Why TOCs go for the modern "in your face" look is beyond me. Virgin should take a leaf out of GNER's book (except on the financial front ;))

I miss the days terribly. As a child seeing those large glass panelled headlights from a far, then chowing down on a bacon roll whilst gliding (bouncing) through the Highlands....

Apologies for my nostalgia - it can be a b*tch sometimes :)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I always thought that the original seats in mk4 Standard coaches looked very similar to the front seats fitted to a mk1 Nissan Micra. Both were, or are, spartan means of transport from the same era.

Indeed. The original Mk4 was a very clear example of something very much built down to a price.

The brown Mk3 interior reminds me of the DB second open hauled coaches and their original interior.

(the seats are more brown than they look in that brightly lit photo)

xc170

My only memory of GNER was travelling from Berwick to Edinburgh in a disgusting yellow tobacco stained Mk3...

Bishopstone

Established Member

Albeit not in glass, isn't this effectively what GWR have done in First Class, since reducing it from 2.5 to 1.5 coaches on the HSTs?

On the MK4s, I found the original Standard seats more comfortable than the replacement 'Mallard' items.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
On the MK4s, I found the original Standard seats more comfortable than the replacement 'Mallard' items.

Agreed. Though they were not much better as they were unusually firm, hard almost, and softened very little with wear. I have yet to sample the latest interior but it must surely be better than its predecessors.

As for:

The brown Mk3 interior reminds me of the DB second open hauled coaches and their original interior.

(the seats are more brown than they look in that brightly lit photo)

The seat backs were certainly brown but the seats themselves were a hideous combination of canary yellow and lime green; the garishness of them is not clearly evident from the picture either! Though they were comfortable enough and the air-conditioning was very efficient.

As for the GNER MkIIIs I only ever traveled in standard class and I always thought the brown interior to be decidedly old fashioned. However it was distinctive so achieved GNER's aim of creating its own brand.

Bodiddly

The original 1st Class interior on the 125 sets were a bit too orange, coupled with the bright yellow vestibules. Too be fair, it was the seventies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't recall having a problem with the original mk4 seats.

As for the HST interiors, I never went 1st class in those days, but the seating appears to be of the superior variety still to be found in EMT's sets. With regard to the brown interior, I always found this quite sombre and assumed it dated from the BR era, although undoubtedly preferable to the over-lit refurbed VTEC HST I was on recently.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The original 1st Class interior on the 125 sets were a bit too orange, coupled with the bright yellow vestibules. Too be fair, it was the seventies.

BR's love affair with orange was definitely a phenomena of it's time. Perhaps we will come to see TOC's current obsession with bright red in a similar vein.

Status
Not open for further replies.