• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER Class 373s - Daft Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
This may seem like a very daft and illeducated question, but what happened to the GNER 373s?
They ran up and down the ECML right, well, where are they?

Ta,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Mostly out of service at North Pole now, some are apparently planned to be used by SNCF Regional TGV services.

adambro

So wish GNER would put them back into service. I'd love to travel on a "Eurostar" on a domestic service.

T

Tom

They were mainly in service as a result of the Mk4 refurbishment.

I think another reason GNER got rid of them is because of the time it took the doors to open and close, much slower than a standard mk4 set it made them tend to lose time on journeys.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
There were quite a few reasons that they wern't ideal for use with GNER. The slow doors was one thing, which was particularly a problem on the semi-fast Leeds services they operated. Another problem was the length, which meant that the doors in the end coaches (IIRC it was the front 2 and the back 2) had to be cut out. The pantographs, being set up for European OHLE, had a habit of bringing the wires down. The fact that both pantographs had to be raised didn't help either. IIRC, they were restricted to 110mph north of Grantham, due to issues with OHLE, power supply or both. Running with both pantographs up also caused problems at neutral sections, since the APC cut power before the first pantograph entered, and didn't re-apply until the rear had exited. This cause quite a loss in speed, particularly at the N/S near the top of Stoke Bank, and the one north of Retford for trains stopping there, since the N/S is just before the junction were the Down platform loop re-joins the through line. Finally, the need for ECS moves to and from North Pole each night, or in the event of problems during the day, was far from ideal.
This isn't saying that the use of Eurostars wasn't a great idea, providing much needed extra capacity, but it would never have worked long term.

metrocammel

Shame the Manchester Eurostar service never came into fruition either :( . LO was specially converted to accomodate Eurostar sets, and they even put a bloody big sign on the outside saying "L'Eurostar s'habite ici" or somthing (The Eurostar lives here!) I think there were a couple of test runs between the south and Man Picc but nothing ever happend. Last time i saw the inside of the Eurostar shed was in Rail mag I think, and it was being used to accomodate class 101's- back when they were slogging away on the Marple / Rose Hill circuit :(.

1VWC

Longsight Euro was last used by Siemens for the comissioning of 185s.

Before that, it was used for Pendo mods.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are in store.

It is now a British tradition that we should store trains in order to create a situation where there is a train shortage. This means the banks can make huge amounts of money. The government can then moan at the banks. It is also considered desirable to create as much overcrowding as possible so as to encourage people to go by car.

Also, trains that are very comfortable are to be abolished. Comfortable seats encourage rail travel so should be replaced with hard seats.

;)

They were mainly in service as a result of the Mk4 refurbishment.
Not true. There was no refurb in place when Eurostars started around 1999/2000.

A HST set was put in service for the Mk4 refurb.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There were quite a few reasons that they wern't ideal for use with GNER. The slow doors was one thing, which was particularly a problem on the semi-fast Leeds services they operated. Another problem was the length, which meant that the doors in the end coaches (IIRC it was the front 2 and the back 2) had to be cut out.
Interestingly, Virgin seem to be happy with slow doors on Pendos.

As for the coaches being locked out, eventually they were able to limit this to certain stations only so was not applicable at stations like King's Cross & Leeds where it really matters. (I did use one at the beginning where I was at the front and they were locked out and it took 10 mins to get off the train!)
The pantographs, being set up for European OHLE, had a habit of bringing the wires down. The fact that both pantographs had to be raised didn't help either. IIRC, they were restricted to 110mph north of Grantham, due to issues with OHLE, power supply or both.
This was eventually solved apparently.
Running with both pantographs up also caused problems at neutral sections, since the APC cut power before the first pantograph entered, and didn't re-apply until the rear had exited. This cause quite a loss in speed, particularly at the N/S near the top of Stoke Bank, and the one north of Retford for trains stopping there, since the N/S is just before the junction were the Down platform loop re-joins the through line. Finally, the need for ECS moves to and from North Pole each night, or in the event of problems during the day, was far from ideal.
Yeah I agree about the ECS.
This isn't saying that the use of Eurostars wasn't a great idea, providing much needed extra capacity, but it would never have worked long term.
It worked for around 5 to 6 years, and in the end most of the problems were sorted. It seemed a shame to end it, but ultimately HSTs are a lot cheaper so GNER went with HSTs instead. Unfortunately that has the result of causing a bit of a HST shortage, there's not quite enough sets to go around for everyone who wants them.

1VWC

The GNER* idea was born due to the fact that they were the only suitable high speed stock available at the time to provide much needed capacity on the Leeds route (and consequently on the other routes by way of a cascade).

This was at the time the HSTs were still employed by VXC and MML and Mark 3's were still on the West Coast.

Edit: They only went back to NP for exams and unscheduled work. Stabling took place at Ferme Park.

Crompton Karl

As far as i am aware, 6 of the units are now being refurbished by SNCF and are in France they are to be used on the TGV Nord Paris - Lille Services. One is being used to test CTRL section 2 and the half set is being kept for spares.

Regards

Karl :)

LucaZone

They were never intended for long term use, and still owned by Eurostar while in GNER branding. GNER dont own any 373's and have not stored any.

I believe as others have said, most will be going out to run on Domestic TGV services like other 373's already out there. They were soley created for the North of London services which never came into being. So after 10 years Eurostar have now moved them on.

One or two are being used as CTRL testing sets though.

andersley

I was sorry to see them go. I had ridden 373's a few times between Doncaster and Wakefield. Very nice ride. So far I have not ridden a 'proper' Eurostar at full speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.