• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER Eurostars no more. (YIPEE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

metrocammel

How did GNER cope when they hired in the 90 to cover for the 91/0 to 91/1 refurb, look at 90024, thats still in unbranded GNER livery. I wouldnt mind a GNER hauled mk3 set, as there is the possibility of it being swapped with a 91- Ive always wanted to do heads out on a 91, as they sound "beasty!!"

As for the 89 that is a no no, as it became increasinly unrelible in it's latter years, and as joy54 said, spare parts are a problem, I think the traction motor, due to its position, is also prone to becoming water-damaged and costs a hell of a lot to maintain. And if GNER are trying to standardise their fleet, well.....!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AJP

Jonathan said:
yorkie said:
It would, but not while there are spare HSTs.

I'm sure that the option could be considered if we get to a point where GNER want to further increase services and there are no spare HST sets. A 90 can keep to a 91 timetable on some, frequent-stations, diagrams(e.g. those that call at places like Stevenage, Newark, Retford, etc).

But it is a bit pointless running HSTs under the wires for all of journey after BR spending so much to electricfy the line 15 years ago...

I know what you mean but there are a fair few HSTs working from the X to Leeds allready as well as Newcastle and Edinburgh. There must not be enough 91's. Everyone I have spoke to at Donny hates 373's.

Tomnick

Established Member
AJP said:
I know what you mean but there are a fair few HSTs working from the X to Leeds allready as well as Newcastle and Edinburgh. There must not be enough 91's.
Don't forget that a few of these will be through services to/from Aberdeen or Skipton or other non-electrified destinations, and the others will be diagrammed like that to make most efficient use of them - rather than letting them sit idle once they've arrived at KX from Aberdeen, say, they might as well work to Leeds to free up a 91 and stock for elsewhere.

AJP

Yeah but there is only Hull,Skipton that is possible because it will take all day for Aberdeen and Inverness.
No they dont travel on them because there squeeky,a Electric multiple unit and there always bust.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also Skipton is electrified, but the new Class 333 EMUs (plus the frequency of them!) on the line mean that there isn't enough power to run 91s up to Skipton.

I believe it was intended for 91s to go to Skipton and this may have happened in the days of the 308s (?), I am not sure of the exact history.

Interestingly the Skipton train used to diverge from the ECML at Hambleton rather than Doncaster to avoid the need to reverse.

AJP

oh that were it goes I saw it Leeds one and I wondering were the hell it was going.

AJP said:
Imo mallard sets are well comfy, eurostars deafing you because squeek so badly. The doors are often bust or just dont open. They are to long for many station and can only do 110 mph. :roll:

How are they comfy? they are a non-tilting pendovermin with larger windows. very uncomfortable upright seats. nice powersockets.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As well as Skipton, there is also the Harrogate HST that runs through Leeds, plus the early morning Leeds-Aberdeen service. I really want to do that service, as it gives heads out oppurtunities from Leeds-York, a rare occurance thesedays.

And I believe that the Hull Executive, after working to London, goes on to do the Highland Cheiftan later in the day. Or at least this normally seems to be the case.

Guinness

Established Member
Never sampled a 373 so I really can't comment on the Interior. Guess I'll only get them with Eurostar now. :(

tramboy

Yeah, but on Eurostar you're more than likely to get a Phillip (or is it Phillipe?!) Starck refurbished one...this lot were original Alstom/Met Camm...the 90s at its best!

(That's the 1990s for you...not class 90s...just in case anyone was wondering what I was on about!)

Regards

Dave

TGV

AJP said:
Imo mallard sets are well comfy, eurostars deafing you because squeek so badly. The doors are often bust or just dont open. They are to long for many station and can only do 110 mph. :roll:

1)The squeeking is probably the brakes when entering a station. The braking on a 373 is vastly superior to anything else in the country nevermind on the ECML.

2)The doors are not designed for multi-stop commuting. They open slower than a Mk4, and there is a delay for the step to open, but they do work. Most people think they don't simply because they haven't pressed the button hard enough.

3)They're only limited to 110 in places on the ECML. Fomr PBO downwards they're allowed as fast as anything. In any case, the limitation imposed isn't because of the train - it's the OLE that isn't up to the job - not the 373.

4)Someone else mentioned plastic - no, they're steel bodied with a GFRP nose and front spoiler.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
laverack222 said:
As well as Skipton, there is also the Harrogate HST that runs through Leeds, plus the early morning Leeds-Aberdeen service. I really want to do that service, as it gives heads out oppurtunities from Leeds-York, a rare occurance thesedays.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt regarding Leeds to York H-O. :D Months ago too. Well worth the £60 to stop in Leeds that night! Just the rest of the ECML to do (well, Ally Pally and north from there) now!

I must know though, how come Bradford gets a 91 (I was assured it was a HST, spent a lot of time waiting for it on Saturday, majorly disappointed to see the 91 pull up) and Skipton can't?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
FGWFan said:
I must know though, how come Bradford gets a 91 (I was assured it was a HST, spent a lot of time waiting for it on Saturday, majorly disappointed to see the 91 pull up) and Skipton can't?
probably because the power supplies were upgraded south/east of Shipley, but not west of Shipley?

RJ

Established Member
FGWFan said:

Skipton does get 91s, I've seen them at least thrice at King's Cross.

I don't know as I don't sign the route beyond Leeds, but it could be an issue with the platforms. The platform lengths beyond Leeds (maybe too short) and IIRC the Skipton platform at Shipley is quite tightly curved?

Tomnick

Established Member
I'm not sure about platform lengths, but curvature is unlikely to be a problem - the Bradford platforms at Shipley are more sharply curved than the Skipton ones.

tramboy

Just as a general question that occured to me...are the 373 drivers Eurostar UK staff, or are they GNER staff who have been trained on the units?

Last year, on the first time of seeing one at York, the driver changing ends was had a Eurostar T-shirt on...so i went on the assumption that they were Eurostar staff.

Regards

Dave

Tomnick

Established Member
I was under the impression that there's a handful of Kings Cross (Bounds Green?) and Leeds drivers who know the 373s. Could be wrong though!

Tomnick said:
I was under the impression that there's a handful of Kings Cross (Bounds Green?) and Leeds drivers who know the 373s. Could be wrong though!
Correct. Unfortunately I'm not one of them though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.