• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER platform staff EASLY the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeholmes

[rant]

What a cock up,

My dad and I decided to travel to Newcastle this weekend for a GNER ride..

First inconvinence...

Had to drive to Stevenage, due to EMERGENCY engineering work in the London Kings X area.. Arrived to Stevenage 30 mins early to ensure than we got are RESERVED ticket seat... so know one took it.. Drove up and saw at least 700 people queing to get onto the Station plaform.. (crowd control refused to allow anybody on the station platform.... :?: We joined the que, and thankfully arrived early.. We waited and waited and waited... NO COMMUNITCATION FROM GNER STAFF TO US. Appauling. Then a sexy little HST turned up.. Back the Bid one, i was at this state very excited.. due to the fact that i had never traveled on a GNER hst.

The que began to move.. rapidly.. we where near the front, then a man came round the que with a megaphone shouting reserved tickets this way.. now.. make your way to the train. NOW we joined ANOTHER Que. The resevered ticket que.. I was scared we wouldnt get the train so i ran up to a station guy and said to him 'we will get on the train, correct sir'. he replied.. Dont worry mate, the train wont leave without you..

I joined the que again, slowly moved, time 11.19 train to depart 11.20, the que finally got to me, i was in seeing distance of the train.. the lad that said to me i'd get on the train came and jumped in front of me saying 'woops, the trains left, without you'... I WAS DISGUSTED. How dare they be so rude.

I asked for the station manger, but he hadnt turned up today...... I wonder why

I waited another hour, and boarded the 91 111 pieice of electric sh"t, got on board and 100s of people crammed onto the carrage, sqwashing me.. I was like, im not having this, and went to another FIRST class carrige and i sat down in a busy, loud 1st class, and arrival to Newscastle i certainly was going to ask so some refund of some sort. AND Im awaiting.....

DISGUSTED
[rant over/]

EDITED FOR EASYER UNDERSTANDING

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick

You sat FC on a Standard Ticket Joe or you had a FC ticket and sat in FC but were still disgusted (misunderstood)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Firstly, can I point out that Stevenage is managed by WAGN not GNER, so it may not have been GNER staff.

What day did you go? There were planned engineering works in the Stevenage area all weekend.

It sounds like you got a First Class seat on the following train, which is fair enough, and I would think that you should find that an acceptable compromise?

Jim

Established Member
yorkie said:
Firstly, can I point out that Stevenage is managed by WAGN not GNER, so it may not have been GNER staff.

What day did you go? There were planned engineering works in the Stevenage area all weekend.

It sounds like you got a First Class seat on the following train, which is fair enough, and I would think that you should find that an acceptable compromise?

All those point are correct. May I just point out that - If you got an FC ride then think yourself luckey.
1 bit of advice: Now the facts before you rant
Jim

richa2002

Established Member
I find it scandalous that when the train is really busy where there is standing room only in standard class. People are allowed to stand in the 1st class coaches. If I had spent £100+ I wouldn't be happy at all!

Tom B

Established Member
Apart from the fact that it's not a GNER station, what else should they have done with the enginerring work, leave it until someone dies?

It's unfair to to tar all GNER staff with the same brush even if it was just a couple, compared to other TOCs they seem to be much better.

Tom B

Established Member
But closing lines just overnight is wasteful, especially with H&S taking up more time either side.

AlexS

Established Member
If it comes to having people sit in first class on a standard ticket, compared to having a line of people in the vesitbules, throughout the train and so on, not to mention in the trains curmple zones if applicable, that being a major HSE violation, then I suspect that the train managers are far happier to have a few more bums on seats, as it were.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Richard Armstrong said:
I find it scandalous that when the train is really busy where there is standing room only in standard class. People are allowed to stand in the 1st class coaches. If I had spent £100+ I wouldn't be happy at all!

Well most of the time there is no need for that amount of first class. Look at most trains and first class usaully has only a few people in it.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
matt said:
Richard Armstrong said:

Well most of the time there is no need for that amount of first class. Look at most trains and first class usaully has only a few people in it.

Exactly, look at Pendolino's for example: 4 cars of first class on a 9 car train when 2 or 3 would be more suitable. It just leads to wasted psace and angry standard class passengers.

Tom B

Established Member
I suppose it depends on the route - I was down south earlier this month and the only difference between First and Second they have there is the colour of the seats. Whereas on (say) a GNER service there is a difference and more of a need. I'd say, though, that a couple of carriages should be designated as being either first or second depending on train loading.

Nick

The problem for TOCs is getting the balance right. Have too little First Class and your Standard Class passengers are left standing (but in hindsight can be moved to FC if needed). Have too little FC and you face lots of problems. As Tom said. It depends on train loadings and the idea is to have too much than too little.

Wooooe. People who demand to sit in first class pee me off, unless they are willing to pay the appropriate upgrade. You dont pay for you seat, just the privalage to travel. Were under no obligation to give you a seat.

I guess you cought someone on a good day! :)

richa2002

Established Member
I got recently got a train from London to Cardiff. 2 1/2 coaches worth of 1st class was relatively full.

joeholmes

Note - I had a FC ticket, and refused to pay for the FC ticket on Arrival at Newcastle Station,

The Platform staff there, i think where GNER staff, unless WAGNs Uniform says GNER. :P

I was aware there where planned engineering works, hence why we drove to Stevenage. (What GNER hadnt taken into account was the fact that there was the Newcaslte- Manchester United game.....

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Richard Armstrong said:

Although I didn't pay over £100 for my first class ticket, the other day First Great Western were letting people sit in First with a standard ticket, all I'm doing is writing to FGW asking for a refund of the 1st class bit, plus my own admin charges.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Richard Armstrong said:
Read the NCoC. if a train is totally packed then FC should be declassified, but 1st class passengers can get refunded the difference between a FC and SC ticket.

I think it'd be selfish for a 1st class passenger to demand luxury while people are left behind on the platform.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jonathan said:
Cockfosters said:
Apart from the fact that it's not a GNER station, what else should they have done with the enginerring work, leave it until someone dies?

British Rail never closed a mainline at weekends and no other country in Europe would do the same...
But this has nothing to do with GNER...

...if anything it's the HSE's fault. <(

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joeholmes said:
Note - I had a FC ticket, and refused to pay for the FC ticket on Arrival at Newcastle Station,

The Platform staff there, i think where GNER staff, unless WAGNs Uniform says GNER. :P

I was aware there where planned engineering works, hence why we drove to Stevenage. (What GNER hadnt taken into account was the fact that there was the Newcaslte- Manchester United game.....
How can you have a ticket but then refuse to pay? IF you had a 1st class ticket and 1st class was declassified/not available THEN you can get a refund of the DIFFERENCE between that and the appropriate standard fare.

Your original rant was about Stevenage station, and as you already know that is WAGN. Why are you now bringing Newcastle platform staff into it? Did the same thing happen there or are you confused?

And will people please stop blaming TOCs for engineering works! The engineering works has to happen, if you don't like the timing then blame Network Rail. But do bear in mind the awful HSE has imposed draconian rules that now must be obeyed during engineering possessions, that now mean that in many circumstances whole lines must be closed rather than just one or two tracks.

The HSE are so obsessed with ensuring no-one is injured on the railways that they'd rather shut railways and put more people on to the roads, making the roads busier on such occasions and that can only lead to an increased risk of road accidents. But the HSE don't have the brainpower to realise this.

Tom B

Established Member
joeholmes said:
(What GNER hadnt taken into account was the fact that there was the Newcaslte- Manchester United game.....

Who cares? The railways aren't run for the benefit of the drunken louts who attend football matched, you know.

joeholmes

Oh my God.... I am just saying this OK!!

1) i had a bloody 1st Class ticket reserved seat on the 11.20 from Stevenage to Newscastle..

2) Qued and Missed train (dispite i arrived 40 mins early

3) Got onto the 12.20.. Just.. and people were with Standardd Class tickets where sitting in 1st Class seats.. Shouting and being a nuisance.. and when the Train Manager came down the train... 40mins before we arrived to Newcaslte.. He asked them to move... cos they had the wrong tickets

4) My dad missed his meeting in Newscaslte due to the delay..

5) My dad has writen to ask GNER for a refund

N.B

GNER platform staff WHERE present on the day OK yorkie...

I mentioned Newcastle because that is where we asked for the refund. they couldnt give it too us (understandably) and they gave us info to send the Customer Relations..

GNER hadnt taken into account that the demand for seats would be high because of the Newcaslte - Man U game ok Cockfoster... WITH a bunch of drunken loots are sat by you in FC, I DO HAPPEN TO CARE

AND I never complained about the engineering works.. They had too be done... I know that... I wasnt bothered at all about that

For gods sake guys... i am just telling you what happened and how disgraced i am of how GNER PLATFORM STAFF handled the matter..

richa2002

Established Member
yorkie said:
Richard Armstrong said:
Read the NCoC. if a train is totally packed then FC should be declassified, but 1st class passengers can get refunded the difference between a FC and SC ticket.

I think it'd be selfish for a 1st class passenger to demand luxury while people are left behind on the platform.

People payed the extra to make sure they had a pleasent journey. The whole point is to get away from standard class. 1st class passengers don't want to be refunded, they want a pleasent journey!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joeholmes said:
5) My dad has writen to ask GNER for a refund

That's all you can do, I'm writing to FGW about almost the same thing, getting a refund, personally, now I've gotten the form I can see that it's freepost so I am not losing out, if I was, I would be asking FGW for the stamp charge. (Ignore earlier post about Admin charges, that was before)

Richard Armstrong said:
People payed the extra to make sure they had a pleasent journey. The whole point is to get away from standard class. 1st class passengers don't want to be refunded, they want a pleasent journey!

Well, it happens fairly infrequently on FGW, and TBH, I don't mind getting a refund, because I did make use of the service in the 1st Class Lounge!
The NCoC says: -
Please note that on-train ticket staff will not give you permission to use First Class accommodation (or the equivalent) unless they are satisfied that it is not required by anyone with a First Class ticket and the Standard Class accommodation on the train is full.You may be required to return to Standard Class accommodation during the course of the journey if such accommodation becomes available or if a person holding a First Class ticket requires the accommodation.

IOW, First Class people have a higher chance of getting a seat, and should be entitled to a refund even if they did get a seat.

Tom B

Established Member
Mojo said:
Please note that on-train ticket staff will not give you permission to use First Class accommodation (or the equivalent) unless they are satisfied that it is not required by anyone with a First Class ticket and the Standard Class accommodation on the train is full.You may be required to return to Standard Class accommodation during the course of the journey if such accommodation becomes available or if a person holding a First Class ticket requires the accommodation.

IOW, First Class people have a higher chance of getting a seat, and should be entitled to a refund even if they did get a seat.

Most sensible. If cattle class is packed seats in first class should be offered, no point letting them go to waste.

richa2002

Established Member
I don't think first class passengers would mind to have all the seats full up. It's the concept of letting people stand in first class which is ridiculous.

tramboy

It's the concept of letting people stand at all on trains these days that i think is wrong...especially on high speed intercity trains. No offence to GNER ( i like them!) their Mallard refurb is all fine and dandy, but it needs the tip up seats re-instated on the end of the coach opposite the new perch area.

I will now try describe where i mean. (!) You get the new perch area opposite the toilet in a vestibule (usually full of luggage) and then walk into the next carriage end, before entering the seats could and should be re-instated.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Regards

Dave

Jim

Established Member
joeholmes said:
GNER hadnt taken into account that the demand for seats would be high because of the Newcaslte - Man U game ok Cockfoster... WITH a bunch of drunken loots are sat by you in FC, I DO HAPPEN TO CARE[

AlexS said:
GNER didn't really misanticipate demand, they run fixed sets. Nothing they could do to increase capacity (Unless a HST 125+1 has more seats than a HST 225)

Beat me to it :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.